Using Facebook chat WP to WP; Problems

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Ok any help here would be appreciated. I've tried several different ways of troubleshooting this problem but to no avail. Ok so my girlfriend and I both have trophys' and when we try to use Facebook chat to text neither of us appear online to the other but we can see anyone else available to chat. Has anyone else had this problem or know how I can fix this. My house is a dead zone and thus feature would be clutch but I have not gotten it to work properly. Thanks guys.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Ok any help here would be appreciated. I've tried several different ways of troubleshooting this problem but to no avail. Ok so my girlfriend and I both have trophys' and when we try to use Facebook chat to text neither of us appear online to the other but we can see anyone else available to chat. Has anyone else had this problem or know how I can fix this. My house is a dead zone and thus feature would be clutch but I have not gotten it to work properly. Thanks guys.
I would be interested in knowing whether any of the other people you can see are even able to see you as available to chat.

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
ok so I asked a friend to help me out and she doesn't see me even when I'm signed in. Also even though she is signed in I don't see her either. Its like I only see a limited list, and i never talk to the people on that list. I have already deleted my Facebook account once and reinstalled, is this the eoute I should take again? Does anyone know why this would be happening. I get status updates from friends and what not just fine.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I haven't "downgraded" to the new Timeline, so your options may differ from mine, but on your PC (not from your phone) click on the Options icon at the bottom of the chat window (looks like a gear), and go into Advanced settings. There are options for "All of your friends see you except...", "Only some friends see you...", and "No one sees you (go offline)".

Select the top option where "All your friends see you", and make sure the box that pops up underneath it is entirely empty. Then click save. You won't see any of these options unless you have enabled chat or appearing online for chat or something like that - it's in the Facebook interface somewhere. Nothing to download.

This all seems to be related to chat visibility, nothing to do with having people blocked or anything like that. Likely not even Windows Phone related, actually, since I imagine once you get it fixed on the PC you'll have it fixed on the phone.

That's my suggestion.

MrBurrrns

Banned
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Facebook has been acting up lately, so it might be related to that. But even if that gets fixed it won't help you much, because the Facebook chat on WP is simply broken and never works reliably. This is one of my biggest annoyances with WP and it's actually amazing to me that nobody seems to care about this.

jamsjordn

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
If you are both using windows phones I would befriend each other in windows live messenger. I've found it more reliable than facebook chat in general and especially on the phone. Plus it gives that extra option incase either service breaks down and I'm sure MS would make sure any changes they implement would be reflected for WP straight away unlike facebook.

sconrad308

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
I get Facebook chat from a lot of my friends because they see me as always online. It almost looks like I'm addicted to Facebook. I just pulled up FB on my computer as well as my phone's built in chat to see who all is available and both lists match each other.

Banstyle

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Facebook chat on WP7 is completely borked, I've just about given up on using it. Hopefully all the issues (offline messaging first and foremost) can be addressed in WP8. Part of the issue is Facebook itself, surely.

jdelroyc

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I'm also having issues with FB chat/messenger and perhaps the steps I've taken can help us resolve the issues, or at least eliminate some of the possibilities. I use a Trophy (VZW) btw.

I can send messages to my friends and they will receive them most of the time, but it's extremely hit-or-miss whether I receive messages back through the messaging hub and it seems random who I receive them from. I've tried the following to resolve the problem:

FB
-Tried resyncing the account. This didn't work.
-Tried deleting the account from the phone and resyncing altogether. This didn't work. During this process I had some issues with the account not wanting to be removed from the phone even though I had severed the link on the WL website. It finally deleted after removing the FB app from my phone (wtf?). I have no clue why the FB app would prevent an account from being removed or what impact the app has on the messaging service on the phone.
-Removed the service link from Windows Live, then resynced. This didn't work.
-Removed "linked accounts" from the people hub and re-linking. This didn't work.
-Rebooted phone, pulled battery, etc. Didn't work.

I've logged into Facebook through the website and deleted all chat history from messenger and the archives and seem to be getting a solid flow of conversation both in and out from one contact, I have yet to try with others as it's early in the morning (hence the crappy grammar ;) ). She initiated the chat through her phone (Titan II). EDIT: This is no longer working

I also have some slight issues with Windows Live Messenger where I've invited a friend on the website and he appears online, but he won't show up online on my phone. My other contacts are online on the phone, but he alone is not...

MSN
-Not entirely sure how to resolve this problem, but my friend who was experiencing the same issue with his Lumia 900 (he couldn't see me online and I couldn't see him online) managed to resolve the issue by removing the linked accounts from the people hub and then re-linking. He now shows online and is able to send messages to and from me. I've tried doing the same with my other friend who is not appearing online (Trophy) to no avail. Incredibly frustrating.

Messenger seems to be the more reliable service once it's working and appears to be much faster at sending/receiving. I can receive txt messages fine and my data connection is solid. I don't want to wipe my phone as I have game saves, etc. I want to keep but what a PITA.

Last edited:

MrBurrrns

Banned
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I wish WPCentral would bring some attention to this issue, it really is unacceptable and they should put pressure on Microsoft to fix this mess. I didn't have these issues with the Facebook Messenger app on Android so it really sucks that we have this half-assed broken implementation on WP...

jdelroyc

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I wish WPCentral would bring some attention to this issue, it really is unacceptable and they should put pressure on Microsoft to fix this mess. I didn't have these issues with the Facebook Messenger app on Android so it really sucks that we have this half-assed broken implementation on WP...
I believe they have to some extent. It seems crazy that this is still an ongoing problem for many users many months after the platform launch. Obviously, this probably won't be resolved for WP7.5/7.8 users as the majority of the focus is on WP8. To be fair, I can't help but think some of the issues are on FB's end, but the Windows Live Messenger stuff is truly unacceptable.

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Hmm I've never noticed any issues with the facebook chat on my Lumia 800. I frequently get messages from facebook to my phone from friends and I always appear online for them.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm having this problem also. I see friends online and I say hi, they never answer. But when I enter the app I see everyone saying hi back. Its annoying for them because they think I'm wasting their time.

jdelroyc

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm having this problem also. I see friends online and I say hi, they never answer. But when I enter the app I see everyone saying hi back. Its annoying for them because they think I'm wasting their time.
After a bit more digging, there may be some connection with the way Facebook is sending and receiving messages/chats. When I send a facebook chat to a friend through my messaging hub, they receive it on their end. But when they reply, it's going to Facebook messaging on the web, but not to my phone.

I logged into FB on the web and clicked on the messages in my notification center. There is an option to "open with chat." When my friend opened in chat and sent a message through the web, I received it on my phone. When I reply with my phone, they receive it. But when they tried sending with their phone, it appeared in messaging on FB and not in chat and didn't come to my phone. Not sure what to make of it.

MrBurrrns

Banned
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I believe they have to some extent. It seems crazy that this is still an ongoing problem for many users many months after the platform launch. Obviously, this probably won't be resolved for WP7.5/7.8 users as the majority of the focus is on WP8. To be fair, I can't help but think some of the issues are on FB's end, but the Windows Live Messenger stuff is truly unacceptable.

I don't even remember them ever mentioning it and I read the site pretty much daily. This should have been blown all over the web. Do you think the iPhone or Android users would accept something like that? No, never in a million years. But that's the problem with this community, we just accept everything and make excuses for Microsoft.

And it's not just this, it's all kinds of issues, from the disappearing keyboard bug, the sms bug all up to the fiasco with WP8. The WP centric sites should blow these things up and light a fire under Microsoft's ***. But no, they just swallow the pill, shut-up and move along. And it's just... frustrating.

jdelroyc

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't even remember them ever mentioning it and I read the site pretty much daily. This should have been blown all over the web. Do you think the iPhone or Android users would accept something like that? No, never in a million years. But that's the problem with this community, we just accept everything and make excuses for Microsoft.

And it's not just this, it's all kinds of issues, from the disappearing keyboard bug, the sms bug all up to the fiasco with WP8. The WP centric sites should blow these things up and light a fire under Microsoft's ***. But no, they just swallow the pill, shut-up and move along. And it's just... frustrating.
I agree it's frustrating and I'm not sure anyone really knows what the issue is. I've been tweeting back and forth with @winphonesupport and they've been trying but I think this is a bigger issue than something related to just a few phones/accounts, it's an overall integration/communication issue. Integrated FB & WL chat is a well advertised feature of WP7.5 and it should work well the majority of the time.

This has happened with my phone and others before, it seems to come and go but when it comes it is inconvenient and lasts far too long and it's unclear what the "fix" is. Not sure if the issue is on MS's end or FB's, but they need to work together to resolve this for us early adopters. I've sent winphonesupport a link to this thread in addition to other threads and sites and I have faith they'll look into it and pass it on to the right people to get a fix worked out. Maybe BenthePCGuy can help direct this to the right people?

Last edited:

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I don't understand how people can be so accepting of bugs. How is not being able to use a feature something that you should just take? I'm tired of this.

MrBurrrns

Banned
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I agree it's frustrating and I'm not sure anyone really knows what the issue is. I've been tweeting back and forth with @winphonesupport and they've been trying but I think this is a bigger issue than something related to just a few phones/accounts, it's an overall integration/communication issue. Integrated FB & WL chat is a well advertised feature of WP7.5 and it should work well the majority of the time.

This has happened with my phone and others before, it seems to come and go but when it comes it is inconvenient and lasts far too long and it's unclear what the "fix" is. Not sure if the issue is on MS's end or FB's, but they need to work together to resolve this for us early adopters. I've sent winphonesupport a link to this thread in addition to other threads and sites and I have faith they'll look into it and pass it on to the right people to get a fix worked out. Maybe BenthePCGuy can help direct this to the right people?

I think this is a general problem with WP - all IM apps I tried suffer from this. Must be a backend problem as lots of people complain about missing toast notifications and stuff like that.

How do we get this more attention? Any mods here? :) I would LOVE to see WPCentral dedicade an article to this problem on the frontpage to see what people say.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb