Who's responsible for my Tango update?

gedmurphy

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I have an unbranded Omnia 7 on the Vodafone UK network, and I haven't yet got the Tango update. I also can't force it using the disconnect trick

So who's responsible for making this available, Vodafone, Samsung or Microsoft?

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I have an unbranded Omnia 7 on the Vodafone UK network, and I haven't yet got the Tango update. I also can't force it using the disconnect trick

So who's responsible for making this available, Vodafone, Samsung or Microsoft?
Most probably Vodafone. I feel for you Man

gedmurphy

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Most probably Vodafone. I feel for you Man
As far as I know, vodafone don't support the Omnia 7, they've never sold it. Does this mean I'm unlikely to get the update?

It's weird because I got the Mango update on the day it was released, although that was back in the day when Vodafone didn't support any WPs. Now I think they support the Lumia 800 but nothing else.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Surely if its unbranded, it doesn't matter if Vodaphone support it or not.

Therefore its Microsoft and Samsung who have to get this stuff ready.

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Samsung gets the updates and everything what has to be done for the phone ready, and then Microsoft is the one who releases all the updates to unbranded and open market phones.

Vodafone is the one who releases updates when the phone is branded under their mark (branded, or sth like that.. Sorry), and then releases it as soon as they finish the last tweaks to adapt it to their network.
Samsung releases the firmware and other updates for the phone and releases them whenever they want.
Microsoft although releases the operating system updates directly to the customer, if he has an unbranded phone.

I've read that somewhere, and that's how I remembered all of this "process", if I may call it like that.

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm alson on your predicament, OP. My Focus is unbranded and on a network that doesn't even sell WPs. Someone is sitting on our updates, either Microsoft or Samsung.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Witch ever network you are on, that's the company supporting your Update,

if the company doesn't support your phone then you WONT get tango..
nothing to do with Samsung and MS as they have already release the update for other phones.

Solution:

go find a company that does , get a 1 day prepaid card account
connect to network and force update. then go back to Vodaphone

:cool::giggle::cool:

neocero

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I was actually wondering the same thing, and since no one calrified me this, on any of my threads/posts, I really appreciate this.
Anyways, I still don't get how I actually got the tango update (OS Version: 7.10.8773.98), yet my firmware version is still the same old one.

PS: I'm living in a country where I'm pretty much the only one that knows WP even exists, no network provider has any wp device. So who am I supposed to hold responsible for my updates?

gedmurphy

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
nothing to do with Samsung and MS as they have already release the update for other phones.

In that case, how have we gotten all the other updates? I've received not only Mango, but about 4 other updates previously.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Witch ever network you are on, that's the company supporting your Update,

Solution:

go find a company that does , get a 1 day prepaid card account
connect to network and force update. then go back to Vodaphone

:cool::giggle::cool:

Not so. Carriers do not release any updates directly, nor do OEM's. As was detailed way back, MS gives the OS to the carriers and OEM's of unbranded phones, they do whatever testing they have to to, approve it when they are satisfied and give it back to MS who then deliver it. Firmware updates go through the same process, OEM's test and give it to MS. Only MS has access to the Zune delivery system so when you dont see an update either the carrier has blocked it (as we have seen several times) or the OEM has blocked it. MS technically can push whatever it wants to handsets but they wont so they dont piss off their partners.

So an unbranded phone isnt reliant on the network its on, just the OEM and MS.

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_...1/03/10/phone-updates-process-and-timing.aspx

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I was actually wondering the same thing, and since no one calrified me this, on any of my threads/posts, I really appreciate this.
Anyways, I still don't get how I actually got the tango update (OS Version: 7.10.8773.98), yet my firmware version is still the same old one.

PS: I'm living in a country where I'm pretty much the only one that knows WP even exists, no network provider has any wp device. So who am I supposed to hold responsible for my updates?

If the carrier that your on doesn't support your phone then you Will NOT get the firmware just the update. firmware is carrier dependent. and normally is use for Network fixes.

In that case, how have we gotten all the other updates? I've received not only Mango, but about 4 other updates previously.

But your Phone still thinks your with VODAPHONE ... so you should try to TRICK your phone into getting it: ( it is available) ( i just got it on my Samsung Focus )
http://www.windowscentral.com/att-sitting-samsung-tango-updates-windows-phone-heres-how-get-now

Not so. Carriers do not release any updates directly, nor do OEM's. As was detailed way back, MS gives the OS to the carriers and OEM's of unbranded phones, they do whatever testing they have to to, approve it when they are satisfied and give it back to MS who then deliver it. Firmware updates go through the same process, OEM's test and give it to MS. Only MS has access to the Zune delivery system so when you dont see an update either the carrier has blocked it (as we have seen several times) or the OEM has blocked it. MS technically can push whatever it wants to handsets but they wont so they dont piss off their partners.

So an unbranded phone isnt reliant on the network its on, just the OEM and MS.

Phone updates: process and timing

well thats it .. carriers can block it.. and that's whats happening right now! I have it on MY Samsung... so it is ready.

http://www.windowscentral.com/att-sitting-samsung-tango-updates-windows-phone-heres-how-get-now

Tango IS being HELD back by carriers!!!
AT&T confirmed but if others on other carrier dint get it yet = being held back!

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
well thats it .. carriers can block it.. and that's whats happening right now! I have it on MY Samsung... so it is ready.

Tango IS being HELD back by carriers!!!
AT&T confirmed but if others on other carrier dint get it yet = being held back!

Thats not the question, carriers blocking updates is not news. The OP has an unbranded phone which is not subject to carrier approval whether its on their network or not. The holdup with his is Samsung hasnt approved it or more likely its just the usual phased rollout and will appear eventually.

neocero

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
The OP has an unbranded phone which is not subject to carrier approval whether its on their network or not.

I'm also using an unbranded phone/factory unlocked, and even though i did get tango, i don't have any of the features it should've come with, i dont know if its related to the fact that my firmware version is still outdated or what, but its really starting to annoy me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05