A new Microsoft

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
I like the idea of updating their brand, maybe even the Microsoft name font, but I think the 4 paned Window is pretty iconic and worth keeping and evolving. Has some good ideas and such, but not fond of it entirely.

anon(5344488)

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
The updated branding and font do look pretty slick, but so do their current logos. I don't think a rebranding is going to solve too many issues with their company. People aren't stupid. Instead of one brand/logo being linked to Microsoft, it'll be another brand/logo linked to Microsoft. When people look at the current Windows logo, they don't think, "wow, that logo sucks!" They have their opinions about Microsoft and their products, but a logo and font update aren't going to influence that too much. No more than painting stripes on a horse make it a zebra, or change peoples opinions that it is, infact, a horse, but with stripes.

For that matter, Microsoft has made too much of a hobby out of rebranding its current product line. In my mind they're almost starting to look needy. "oh, please world, please love us, we'll change our name to what ever you want!" I myself don't care for companies that spend too much time defending their brand. Microsofts problem is not their naming scheme, infact I think they've been doing rather well as of late. Microsofts probem is getting their products, which are slick, well built, and intuitive, into peoples hands. And to do that, they don't need to sell "Microsoft" to comsumers, they need to sell the product. Thats a lesson that they may finaly be starting to learn. They've also learned, that if you want something done right, do it yourself. We've seen it with the Smoked by WP campainge, their new Surface tablets, and finaly finaly FINALY their own branded Microsoft Stores.

If we're going to see a "New Microsoft," it should be a more proactive Microsoft that promotes it own OS's, promotes its own hardware, and promotes their own message, that there is a new and better way to use your phone, computer, tablet, and tv (Xbox). Because lets face it. With the exception of some creative marketing and events from Nokia, and the campaigne Microsoft has pushed on its own, the rest of the industry (telecoms, tech venders, and retailers) have failed miserably.
Anyways, just my two (or twenty) cents on the matter.

Last edited:

c8m6p

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I completely agree with the color schemes on Windows phone being "questionable". Give me some GUYish colors for goodness sakes. Grey/white black, etc as shown in the link. All I have to choose from is baby blue, bright red, lime green, and brown. Seriously? A grey would just make my phone look so much more manly and "serious". The available colors make it look like a child's toy. Love my phone, but just saying.

The smaller, customizable tiles in WinPhone8 + darker/more "manly" colors will make my phone worth pulling out and actually showing off to people. I hope they include the new colors in Win 7.8 as well.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I completely agree with the color schemes on Windows phone being "questionable". Give me some GUYish colors for goodness sakes. Grey/white black, etc as shown in the link. All I have to choose from is baby blue, bright red, lime green, and brown. Seriously? A grey would just make my phone look so much more manly and "serious". The available colors make it look like a child's toy. Love my phone, but just saying.

The smaller, customizable tiles in WinPhone8 + darker/more "manly" colors will make my phone worth pulling out and actually showing off to people. I hope they include the new colors in Win 7.8 as well.

I think all hardware should be colored grey it symbolizes technology.

Windows should assemble a mix of all colors because its the ecosystem in a grey world

boss.king

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I really liked that. The icons may be a little too simple (especially the surface one) but the idea in general is what I was hoping MSFT would do with their branding. I've felt for a while that the absolutely need to make a cohesive brand image for all their products to slot into. They may have missed the opportunity this time around, but hopefully by the time Windows 9/Windows Phone 9/etc come out, they will do this.

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

I agree. They have made very bad color choices. They are plain ugly most of them.

I only use the Nokia blue one it's the only one that looks good to me.

I really want dark gray tiles and darker colors overall.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I like the concept and 99% of what he has, just not the single parallelogram as a symbol of "Surface" or "Windows."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos