Find My Phone question

Empty Boxes

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone tell me when I authorise find my phone on the windows phone website will the phone receive a notification to verify? I've got a cheating spouse scenario and don't want it to be obvious that I've enabled the feature.

Thanks

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
You need to have your phone set up to find it. Go to setting on your phone, than find my phone, be sure both boxes are √ marked this will allow the phone to update ever few hours by it self.
OK now go to windows phone.com and login into it than go to my phone, you should see your phone and number top left corner, under that is a map, under that is red letters -find- ring -lock- erase click on this it will take you to the map, above the map is a little drop down box says road or birdseye view. To the far right in red letters is ring,lock,erase as long as you do not do any of those you will be OK.
Good luck finding your phone

Empty Boxes

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Right I get how to do the find my phone thing, my question is when I'm authorizing Microsoft to use SMS to ring, erase, or lock my Wife's phone will Microsoft send a notification to the phone?

Right now it won't let me perform a find my phone without authorizing but I don't want to alert my wife that I'm turning this feature on. It is already turned on in the phone settings

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Right I get how to do the find my phone thing, my question is when I'm authorizing Microsoft to use SMS to ring, erase, or lock my Wife's phone will Microsoft send a notification to the phone?

Right now it won't let me perform a find my phone without authorizing but I don't want to alert my wife that I'm turning this feature on. It is already turned on in the phone settings
Sorry I honestly don't know about that I did my a long time ago. I do some checking if I could find any info I will let you know.

anon(5344488)

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes, you have to setup SMS before Find My Phone will work. The Find My Phone system uses SMS to communicate with the phone to give it instructions to lock, ring, or erase all the data on the phone. If you don't have SMS setup, it can't use the service.

When you set up the service, it will send a text to the phone with a four digit confirmation number you then have to enter into the Live Account website. Till that happens, the service won't work. You only have to do it the once. After that you can hit Find My Phone as much as you like and it doesn't alert the phone.

They don't want just anybody chooseing a random phone number and saying "erase all data" as a dirty prank. You'll just have to do it sometime when the wife isn't using it.

massifheed

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
When you set up the service, it will send a text to the phone with a four digit confirmation number you then have to enter into the Live Account website.

Strange. I've not had to do that on either my Omnia 7 or Lumia 800. Although I guess that may be because I may have already authorised the phone for other services and that authentication has just passed through to the "find my phone" service.

Either way though, assuming that your wife is using her own Live account on the phone (is it her own phone?) you'll need to log into the Windows Phone web portal with her Live account as well.

anon(5344488)

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Strange. I've not had to do that on either my Omnia 7 or Lumia 800. Although I guess that may be because I may have already authorised the phone for other services and that authentication has just passed through to the "find my phone" service.

I didn't have to do it with my HD7 either. But I already had the service setup from previous phones, and I haven't changed my phone number. I just deleted my phone from my account and reset everything, and when I re-add my phone / number it makes me setup SMS first.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon