What's your favorite weather app?

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Another WeatherBug fan. I have found it to be accurate and easy to use.

By accurate, I mean the 3 day forecast is usually spot on, the 5 day is usually close enough to make plans. I do not trust any weather report farther out than that. (10 days ahead on the weather?? Yeah, right....)

eizsoft

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Just the plain ol' "Weather" from Microsoft. I choose this because it has offline access. If you try to access the weather on any other weather app, it will give you some error about not being connected. This is important to me because I keep my data off, especially when I'm nearing my cap. The other thing that got me is the solid live tile support. I couldn't find this working well for other applications, especially if data is on and off; other apps would just stop working or just turn blank because my data would be off instead of just caching the last known weather stats. The problem I have is the lack of details and a live tile that adjusts by GPS. In regards to details, hourly forecasts is more like trihourly (which I've come to the conclusion is just enough), you can't click anywhere to find more details as well, like to open a webpage to a more detailed page for finer things. This trend follows into alerts as well. I've noticed a majority of weather apps don't provide alerts, and only a few do it alright to well. This app just provides the title of the alert and the duration. It seems to be enough, but would be nice to see the entire alert, and see what other counties it may apply to as well. Next was the live tile GPS thing. There are few that have a live tile that updates your location. One thing to note though, is that the main weather app when launched will find your location and give you the weather for that area, which I can live with, but this means you either pin the main app to the start screen or just navigate to it in the list; you can't access the main app through a pinned location. With that said, details wise, I think it provides enough, you get the standard forecast, % chance of precipitation, tri-hourly forecasts (which I think is actually ok), extended forecasts, and alerts.
Now why I don't use other weather apps? Accuweather was the last one I was using, but the lack of being able to see the last refreshed weather stats when not connected to data made me leave it, and the alerts were buggy (it would crash constantly trying to scroll through it). AmazingWeather, again no offline weather access, but everything else was great except for the once daily updates on the live tile (which makes having a live tile actually very useless to have, and makes it more of a shortcut than a live tile). Weatherbug just never worked for me (live tiles would just stay that Weatherbug logo (tried both verisons, neither worked)).
For paid apps, I tried out WeatherMaster. I think this was the best one, but it would be off by like 10 degrees sometimes for me, and it didn't provide as many details as I wanted. I wasn't sure if it provided weather alerts as well (didn't see any indication when the others did). It has offline access, and a plethora of details about weather, and it looks great, but it's like $2 if I remember.
Ok Amazing Weather has Offline access its an option form settings "Refresh Data on Start-up", and currently we are updating Amazing Weather to add Traditional Chinese and Finnish languages.

And Amazing Weather Lite will be updated to add French, German, Finnish, Traditional Chinese languages

Best Regards,
EIZ

Last edited:

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Weather Flow is my app of choice.

It gives a reasonable amount of info without being too cluttered. The UI can be switched from a metro style to a photo style and the double sided live tile is useful, and charming :)

I tried a bunch of other apps, almost all of the ones on the market in fact, but none of them got things quite right for me. For what I look for in this kind of app, Weather Flow nails it - simple UI, right amount of information, good live tile.

benandarchie

May 24, 2012
Visit site
Weather Master

I think weather master is the best. The live tile is great as it dosent just show the current weather but show the weather for the next couple of days and it also live updates using GPS. It has really detailed info and you can view many cities/towns within the app. But just try it as it gives you the full app for 7 days. :)

eizsoft

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Just the plain ol' "Weather" from Microsoft. I choose this because it has offline access. If you try to access the weather on any other weather app, it will give you some error about not being connected. This is important to me because I keep my data off, especially when I'm nearing my cap. The other thing that got me is the solid live tile support. I couldn't find this working well for other applications, especially if data is on and off; other apps would just stop working or just turn blank because my data would be off instead of just caching the last known weather stats. The problem I have is the lack of details and a live tile that adjusts by GPS. In regards to details, hourly forecasts is more like trihourly (which I've come to the conclusion is just enough), you can't click anywhere to find more details as well, like to open a webpage to a more detailed page for finer things. This trend follows into alerts as well. I've noticed a majority of weather apps don't provide alerts, and only a few do it alright to well. This app just provides the title of the alert and the duration. It seems to be enough, but would be nice to see the entire alert, and see what other counties it may apply to as well. Next was the live tile GPS thing. There are few that have a live tile that updates your location. One thing to note though, is that the main weather app when launched will find your location and give you the weather for that area, which I can live with, but this means you either pin the main app to the start screen or just navigate to it in the list; you can't access the main app through a pinned location. With that said, details wise, I think it provides enough, you get the standard forecast, % chance of precipitation, tri-hourly forecasts (which I think is actually ok), extended forecasts, and alerts.
Now why I don't use other weather apps? Accuweather was the last one I was using, but the lack of being able to see the last refreshed weather stats when not connected to data made me leave it, and the alerts were buggy (it would crash constantly trying to scroll through it). AmazingWeather, is great except for the once daily updates on the live tile (which makes having a live tile actually very useless to have, and makes it more of a shortcut than a live tile). Weatherbug just never worked for me (live tiles would just stay that Weatherbug logo (tried both verisons, neither worked)).
For paid apps, I tried out WeatherMaster. I think this was the best one, but it would be off by like 10 degrees sometimes for me, and it didn't provide as many details as I wanted. I wasn't sure if it provided weather alerts as well (didn't see any indication when the others did). It has offline access, and a plethora of details about weather, and it looks great, but it's like $2 if I remember.

EDIT: Pointed out that AmazingWeather actually does have offline access. Still, the limitation of a single live tile update still prevents me from using this.
I don't want to be rude but actually want to clear the point, there is too versions from Amazing Weather
1- AmazingWeather (its the full app with 48 hours trial, and hourly live tile updates with details, daily text forecast, charts, alerts, live tile alerts and costs 1.49$)

1- AmazingWeather Lite (its A free app with ads and daily live tile with configurable update time, with daily text forecast, charts, alerts, live tile alerts)

I hope this clears things out :) and thanks for pointing out the offline access.

sp8y

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
I've tried quite a few of the weather apps from the marketplace & normally find issues like poor accuracy, live tile not showing correct data etc.

I do like the look of the Microsoft app but its just a bit too basic & recently the tile just hasn't been updating to show nightime etc.

My current weather app is "forecast" - have had this on trial for a couple of days now & it seems very good. Pretty accurate (well as much as you can get with the weather in the UK) plus the live tile looks good. The front has the current days temp while the back has the next three days temps etc. For those interested it also has fixed location forecasts & current GPS location forecasts - hourly, detailed etc. If it goes OK for the next few days I will probably buy it.

phonypaul

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
My favorite is WeatherBug. Shows current weather and weekly forecasts for multiple locations.
For aviation people PilotWeather is a good app. Too technical for general population though.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I have weather by MS and amazing weather lite and weather view they each have strengths and weaknesses. I like the amazing weather lite and weatherview for the screen. Right now thats what I have pinned.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Amazing Weather & Weather Live.

Started beta testing for Amazing Weather and enjoyed it, so I purchased it.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Ok Amazing Weather has Offline access its an option form settings "Refresh Data on Start-up", and currently we are updating Amazing Weather to add Traditional Chinese and Finnish languages.

And Amazing Weather Lite will be updated to add French, German, Finnish, Traditional Chinese languages

Best Regards,
EIZ

When I was trying out the full version, I thought it did have offline access as I kept that along with WeatherMaster to compare. I updated my post earlier regarding this. I may have to give Amazing Weather another try.

I don't want to be rude but actually want to clear the point, there is too versions from Amazing Weather
1- AmazingWeather (its the full app with 48 hours trial, and hourly live tile updates with details, daily text forecast, charts, alerts, live tile alerts and costs 1.49$)

1- AmazingWeather Lite (its A free app with ads and daily live tile with configurable update time, with daily text forecast, charts, alerts, live tile alerts)

I hope this clears things out :) and thanks for pointing out the offline access.

I probably should have pointed that out, I kinda just assumed people would assume that I was talking about the Lite version of it. Anyways, I fixed my original post as well.

Last edited:

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
AccuWeather works great for me, tile updates, and the forecast is right on in my area, it does have advertising banner on top but that fine with me,

copjake

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
weather app

I find that ACCUweather and the microsoft weather works best they are the only ones that update even when I am on EDGE the others don't. I use ACCUweather THOUGH BECAUSE IT IS MORE DETAILED.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Was using Samsung Now Weather which use's AccuWeather.

The Now Live Tile was working but it broken again, no display of location or temp.

So normal AccuWeather for now, but, Microsoft Weather is pretty accurate has well I noticed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs