with RIM dying in *** does Wp have a big chance now for number 3?

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
well... RIM's in **** trouble because RIM had to pay 147.2 million for patents issues in 2008. Ouch. Unless they will go Windows phone 8 all

RIM reportedly ordered to pay $147.2 million in enterprise server patent suit | The Verge
While MS is getting ready for a 3rd ecosystem. So I definitely think that Windows phone will become a decent player in da US and Worldwide. From smart glass and stuff

because MS will maybe buy RIM's enterprise offerings including BBM. but not the company
without MS's help RIM can just say goodbye. unless they go Wp of course :)

So now this happened including developer interest going down and market share is going down fast, do you think that Wp and with a BB Wp will become a 3rd OS offering?. you opinion :)

Last edited:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think that WP is already establishing itself as the 3rd ecosystem. This was happening even without the RIM lawsuit.

It takes a lot to build a full ecosystem. There aren't many companies in the world that are even capable of such a feat on a massive scale.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone will be the "third ecosystem" in that I foresee all competitors being quashed out in the near future. Windows Phone might be a money losing venture for many years; but, Microsoft has the coffers to prop it up.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
First off, I do not think it is wise to buy into the idea that RIM is finished. They still have a good ecosystem, strong fan base, and a TON of cash on hand, with millions still coming in from existing contracts. Yes, the last 18 months have been a complete horror for them, and they are forever in responding. But, in my humble, unimportant opinion, only what Microsoft does will get them into a position of success, not what RIM doesn't do. MS needs to give business users a reason to dump BlackBerry and NOT go to Apple. They need to give reasons for gamers to dump Android and Apple, they need to give future Tablet owners a reason to NOT go to Apple or Google.

RIM is not in a position of strength anymore, but they are not a helpless babe, either. BB10 is not a bad looking OS, and may actually be worth the wait. MS needs to fight for their position. RIM ain't giving it up.

geekmaster

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
relying mostly on developers to port android apps in their entirety to blackberry is an awful game plan. if bb10 was a heavy android skin running on android 4.0.4 with the full blown google play store maybe we would see some success here. but why even begin to promote flash in this day and age. its a waste of time. rim will need to pull a microsoft like 6.5 to 7 upgrade with bb10 or die flat in the dust.

the logical idea is for rim to become a hardware company. build up on device R&D. promote the blackberry brand in its entirety to be made in Canada and not china. if rim took those steps it would become iconic. almost like asus products. and yeah why not make a laptop and desktop pc while they are at it. because rim does have taste in the hardware front. and its completely buyibal from a consumer standpoint if they took their time in R&D for hardware. in the end they should look at what vizio has successfully done in the past 5 years and build off that.

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
well... RIM's in **** trouble because RIM had to pay 147.2 million for patents issues in 2008. Ouch. Unless they will go Windows phone 8 all

RIM reportedly ordered to pay $147.2 million in enterprise server patent suit | The Verge
While MS is getting ready for a 3rd ecosystem. So I definitely think that Windows phone will become a decent player in da US and Worldwide. From smart glass and stuff

because MS will maybe buy RIM's enterprise offerings including BBM. but not the company
without MS's help RIM can just say goodbye. unless they go Wp of course :)

So now this happened including developer interest going down and market share is going down fast, do you think that Wp and with a BB Wp will become a 3rd OS offering?. you opinion :)
Well this guy doesn't see RIM or MS as the no. 3 option and he probably knows a lot more than we do. And the Amazon phone is reportedly already in testing. Uh-Oh! :straight:

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Two of the often overlooked specs released about WP8 are the new levels of encryption, and the data compression. Both of these features were the last cornerstones of RIM's unique selling points. Pretty obvious that MS plans to go after RIM's market share with both barrels.

The encryption is key for enterprise..... Check!

The data compression has been key in emerging markets where data use is expensive. Ironically, with carriers eliminating unlimited plans in the US, and others jacking up the cost of data as it becomes apparent that is the future of their profitability, the Data Compression feature may well become WP8's big advantage over their competition, not only in emerging markets, but in the mature ones as well.

Data Compression adding 30% more headroom to your monthly usage... Check!

I had originally agreed with Chris Zeigler's idea that RIM's "delay" of BB10 was a smoke screen while behind the scene new-OS-adoption, or wholesale selling of the company went on. But, now I'm more inclined to believe that RIM is going to go down in a hubris-driven-flaming-fireball-of-corporate suicide.

Bai

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Unless MS have a ship full of wp8 concept w/ BB logo on it ready to go and RIM have BBM, BB bridge, RIM email client for wp8...etc in working order, I don't see how it is possible for RIM to have the phone ready for fall release.

As for MS being the 3rd, it is just a matter of time. I think W8 will redefine the whole eco system just like win98/xp.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
#3 is so far behind #1 and #2 that it doesn't matter who's there. There is no prestige to be associated with that market position...

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Forget the market share aspect for the minute, the real trick is to be able to sell the devices for decent margins - if that is not possible, what is the point for the OEMs?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
the logical idea is for rim to become a hardware company. build up on device R&D. promote the blackberry brand in its entirety to be made in Canada and not china. if rim took those steps it would become iconic. almost like asus products. and yeah why not make a laptop and desktop pc while they are at it. because rim does have taste in the hardware front. and its completely buyibal from a consumer standpoint if they took their time in R&D for hardware. in the end they should look at what vizio has successfully done in the past 5 years and build off that.
I do not see that being a good option at all. RIM's hardware is not attractive to the consumer market.

#3 is so far behind #1 and #2 that it doesn't matter who's there. There is no prestige to be associated with that market position...

I believe that this is definitely true, but more on the hardware than on the software side.

Right now the hardware manufacturers are Samsung, Apple, and everyone else. Only Samsung and Apple are really doing well at this time.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Forget the market share aspect for the minute, the real trick is to be able to sell the devices for decent margins - if that is not possible, what is the point for the OEMs?

I think that Nokia's low margins are a good idea. At least for the short term.

Right now the important this is establishing mind share.

In later iterations, there will be several different models available, with different margins. But having good margins doesn't do anyone any good if nobody knows who you are.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Need to stop the dreaming, RiM isnt going anywhere, they still have more marketshare than WP and if they execute properly will start to make a comeback with BB10. They have a better shot at recovering their lost marketshare than WP has of gaining more.

Nothing about the future is set, Windows 8 may have a negligable effect on WP8 sales because people might still just want what they want today because what they can get today is not much different from what MS will be bringing to the table. There is still a long way to go before WP can claim any position in the smartphone world.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Need to stop the dreaming, RiM isnt going anywhere, they still have more marketshare than WP and if they execute properly will start to make a comeback with BB10. They have a better shot at recovering their lost marketshare than WP has of gaining more.

Nothing about the future is set, Windows 8 may have a negligable effect on WP8 sales because people might still just want what they want today because what they can get today is not much different from what MS will be bringing to the table. There is still a long way to go before WP can claim any position in the smartphone world.
well. All I can say is that it's goin down and RIM is losing alot of money.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Who even knows what BB10 will offer? It's nothing but vaporware now. If it doesn't attract developers, it will be a flop.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Who even knows what BB10 will offer? It's nothing but vaporware now. If it doesn't attract developers, it will be a flop.

I agree with u laura. The interest for bb10 is going down. While interest for wp8 and w8 is going up sharply

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
RIM has many of the same problems as nokia - the other phones it sells in large numbers are curves to emerging markets for zero margins on low-value data plans - it's not sustainable and there is nothing to suggest that BB10 will be a breakout hit.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
RIM has many of the same problems as nokia - the other phones it sells in large numbers are curves to emerging markets for zero margins on low-value data plans - it's not sustainable and there is nothing to suggest that BB10 will be a breakout hit.
I agree. BB10 will be too expensive for emerging markets and lack the apps consumers in developed markets demand.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I think RIM will simply run out of money, the two billion cashpile they have sounds a lot but Microsoft and partners have pumped billions into WP7 to very limited results and RIM will be very quickly in the same position.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon