Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 22 of 22
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By MrBurrrns
  • 1 Post By selfcreation
  1. TitanSound's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    10 Posts
       #1  
    It's driving me mad. If I use the native e-mail client to reply to an email, it creates a new conversation in Gmail. When I log into the desktop version I have half a page of the same conversation spilt over lots of different threads.

    Anything I can do to stop this from happening?

    (Lumia 900, latest software version I'm assuming)

    Thanks.
  2. #2  
    Use hotmail instead
  3. MrBurrrns's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    170 Posts
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
    Use hotmail instead
    If you have nothing useful to say why even bother?
    AngryNil and TitanSound like this.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBurrrns View Post
    If you have nothing useful to say why even bother?
    I say that because hotmail has no issues on WP. Everything Google so far has been a major issue on WP because Google sabotages the functionality of their products on non-Google devices. Even the YouTube app on Xbox 360 can't access all content and has issues.
  5. trickym81's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    143 Posts
    Global Posts
    199 Global Posts
    #5  
    I use Gmail on my Windows Phone all the time and I've never had an issue.
  6. AngryNil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,383 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    #6  
    I don't have this problem with Gmail. Make sure you're syncing the sent items folder on your phone ( ... → folders → show all folders → sent items → ... → synchronise this folder ) and you've got conversations turned on ( ... → settings → Conversations ).
  7. Laura Knotek's Avatar

    Posts
    17,027 Posts
    Global Posts
    32,456 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by irlju View Post
    I don't have this problem with Gmail. Make sure you're syncing the sent items folder on your phone ( ... → folders → show all folders → sent items → ... → synchronise this folder ) and you've got conversations turned on ( ... → settings → Conversations ).
    I agree. I don't have any Gmail conversations chopped up, and Gmail is my primary email account.

    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
  8. MrBurrrns's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    170 Posts
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    #8  
    Happens to me too sometimes. Not sure what is causing this - for some reason Gmail detects it as a new conversation. Must be something in the email body that changes when sending from WP as it seems to always break on mails sent from the WP email client.

    But long story short - I don't think there is anything you can do about this. Add it to the long list of 7.x issues that will never be fixed...
    Thanked by:
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBurrrns View Post
    Happens to me too sometimes. Not sure what is causing this - for some reason Gmail detects it as a new conversation. Must be something in the email body that changes when sending from WP as it seems to always break on mails sent from the WP email client.

    But long story short - I don't think there is anything you can do about this. Add it to the long list of 7.x issues that will never be fixed...

    It's not a 7.x issue it's a Gmail issue, now look who's posting useless things.
  10. TitanSound's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    10 Posts
       #10  
    Thanks for the suggestions!
  11. MrBurrrns's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    170 Posts
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
    It's not a 7.x issue it's a Gmail issue, now look who's posting useless things.
    Please prove to me how this is a Gmail issue.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBurrrns View Post
    Please prove to me how this is a Gmail issue.

    Well if the conversation shows up fine in the email on WP but not on the Gmail site you kinda have to wonder. Also it's a non issue with hotmail or Yahoo mail, so who's at fault then? Certainly not MS.
  13. MrBurrrns's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    170 Posts
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
    Well if the conversation shows up fine in the email on WP but not on the Gmail site you kinda have to wonder. Also it's a non issue with hotmail or Yahoo mail, so who's at fault then? Certainly not MS.
    First of all, that is your assumption, you have no proof to back that up.

    Second of all, your argument makes no sense. Is Gmail developed by Google or by Microsoft? We are talking about Gmail here, that's the source - Google makes the rules. It has to work properly there, you can not judge the system by some third party implementation. No, it's the other way around - WP has to implement the Gmail support in a way where it is not breaking the Gmail site. Hence, it is a WP problem.

    The fact that Yahoo and Hotmail work properly only means that their implementation is working fine. But it has nothing to do with Gmail.
  14. selfcreation's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,288 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    #14  
    I haven't had any problems ether , it seems to be a *intermittent* problem.
    works sometimes and other it doesn't.

    I do conversation with both G-mail and Hotmail/live and never had it happen.

    I did research online and every one seem to be claiming that G-mail has problem with almost every OS but Android ( witch would make sens). but no official confirmation or fix could be found.

    like other said: (irLju)

    Make sure you're syncing the sent items folder on your phone ( ... → folders → show all folders → sent items → ... → synchronise this folder ) and you've got conversations turned on ( ... → settings → Conversations ).
    considering it works on ALL other E-mail client and some times it doesn't work on Gmail its for sure a problem on the G-mail side. if it was a problem with the WP OS build it would be the same for every one.

    Double check your settings in G-mail and on WP if that doesn't help try a HARD RESET ( if your willing)
    Last edited by Se1fcr3ation; 07-24-2012 at 02:51 PM.
    If your looking for Information, be sure to check out: WindowsPhone: Getting started!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If one of our Members helps you, be sure to THANK him or her!

    Thanked by:
    eric12341 likes this.
  15. MrBurrrns's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    170 Posts
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    #15  
    In computing there is nothing like an *intermittent* problem. EVERYTHING happens for a reason, there is a reason why this happens, and this reason is a bug in the code. A bug in the WP code. Because it does not happen in Gmail, it should not happen in a THIRD party applications that supports Gmail. It is that simple.

    Checking your settings won't help, because it has nothing to do with that.
  16. jimski's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,254 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBurrrns View Post



    The fact that Yahoo and Hotmail work properly only means that their implementation is working fine. But it has nothing to do with Gmail.
    So if Google tinkers with their APIs, its still a third party (in this case Microsoft) problem. Based on the bi-weekly changes to YouTube, I would be just a little suspicious. Nothing malicious mind you. Just that Google does not have a clue when it comes to doing anything beyond a beta stage.

    Hey, you have a Windows Phone. Get a Hotmail account already.

    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimski View Post
    So if Google tinkers with their APIs, its still a third party (in this case Microsoft) problem. Based on the bi-weekly changes to YouTube, I would be just a little suspicious. Nothing malicious mind you. Just that Google does not have a clue when it comes to doing anything beyond a beta stage.

    Hey, you have a Windows Phone. Get a Hotmail account already.

    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
    Let's not feed
    Last edited by palandri; 07-24-2012 at 10:12 PM.
  18. selfcreation's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,288 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBurrrns View Post
    In computing there is nothing like an *intermittent* problem. EVERYTHING happens for a reason, there is a reason why this happens, and this reason is a bug in the code. A bug in the WP code. Because it does not happen in Gmail, it should not happen in a THIRD party applications that supports Gmail. It is that simple.

    Checking your settings won't help, because it has nothing to do with that.


    I dont think you understand what a intermittent means.

    its actually called a Intermittent Fault, witch means that the problem comes in intervals and is usually irregular.

    This can be caused by Hardware or software and the more complex a software the more the chance of having Intermittent faults.
    Intermittent faults is a VERY common thing in cell phones and is one of the MAIN reason for cellphone repairs/ DOA ( defective on arrival)

    the simple fact that this problem does not happen with Hotmail or any other E-mail client BUT G-mail , power of deduction *( or common sens) will show that this is obviously a problem WITH Google/G-mail ... Google did not properly link all the APIs to other Operating system witch can cause multiple problems like this one,.

    hence why It has problems on almost EVERY OS but Android.
    Last edited by Se1fcr3ation; 07-25-2012 at 09:30 AM.
    If your looking for Information, be sure to check out: WindowsPhone: Getting started!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If one of our Members helps you, be sure to THANK him or her!

  19. MrBurrrns's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    170 Posts
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Se1fcr3ation View Post
    lol, :giggle:

    I dont think you understand what a intermittent means.

    its actually called a Intermittent Fault, witch means that the problem comes in intervals and is usually irregular.

    This can be caused by Hardware or software and the more complex a software the more the chance of having Intermittent faults.
    Intermittent faults is a VERY common thing in cell phones and is one of the MAIN reason for cellphone repairs/ DOA ( defective on arrival)

    the simple fact that this problem does not happen with Hotmail or any other E-mail client BUT G-mail , power of deduction *( or common sens) will show that this is obviously a problem WITH Google/G-mail ... Google did not properly link all the APIs to other Operating system witch can cause multiple problems like this one,.

    hence why It has problems on almost EVERY OS but Android.
    You are mixing up so many topics that I don't even know where to start...

    An intermittent fault points to a problem in the system. Yes, those can happen, but there is always a reason why it happened. Something in the system went wrong and the system was not prepared for this. Bugs in a system can have many forms, an intermittent fault is one of the ways how to expose a weakness in the system. But an intermittent fault is never desirable and can always be fixed by adapting the system to handle the root cause of the problem. Of course, no system is perfect, that's why we have bugs and faults in all complex systems. But that's exactly the point - those bugs need to be fixed and the system needs to be adapted to handle faults better.

    Anyway, the important part here is that I believe that the problem occurs on the WP side, not on Googles. And as long as this is a Google email platform, it's up to Microsoft to implement it in a way where it works reliably. I could even make the effort to go ahead and prove to you that it does not happen on an iPhone. But since it wouldn't solve anything and the problem won't be fixed anyway, it would be just a waste of time.

    Regardless, from the user perspective, it does not matter whose fault it is. It's in Microsoft's interest to fix this, regardless how and on which side (Google or MS). The problem is, with WP8 coming, they probably never will in 7.x.

    PS: Actually I do have a suspicion what is causing this. I believe the problem is that when sending an email reply, WP does not always correctly update the Sent folder (you will not find the sent email in the Sent folder on the Gmail site after sending it from the phone). I believe this is the WP bug that is causing the conversations to break up because when you then receive a reply to your sent email a new conversation is started.

    EDIT: Regarding this working fine with Hotmail etc... You have to remember that conversation grouping does not work the same way in every email platform. Mails are not grouped just by the Subject - the criteria for the grouping are actually a bit more complex and there is no standard for this (for example to avoid grouping emails which have the same Subject but are not part of the same conversation). And because Gmail checks the body of the email and (I suspect) also the previous emails, the missing sent email causes the split in the conversation.
    Last edited by MrBurrrns; 07-25-2012 at 09:55 AM.
  20. selfcreation's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,288 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    #20  
    hmm,

    Obviously Intermittent fault have a reason for being.... doesn't mean it doesn't exist! the argument is not that it has a reason, it was YOU saying it wasn't possible or w/e
    In computing there is nothing like an *intermittent* problem.
    and now you say they can?
    An intermittent fault points to a problem in the system. Yes, those can happen,
    you Contradict your self every other post so Forgive me if i find a lack of credibility in your words.



    And one thing I dont understand is how you seem to think its MS's responsibility to FIX goggles's codes...
    And as long as this is a Google email platform, it's up to Microsoft to implement it in a way where it works reliably.
    WHAT!?!? .... So its MS's responsibility to Fix Google's e-mail? lol..
    this makes no sens, Google have ALL the proper tools/API's to make this work perfectly yet they haven't. not very complicated , WP OS have ALL the proper API's to support this.
    Last edited by Se1fcr3ation; 07-25-2012 at 10:53 AM.
    If your looking for Information, be sure to check out: WindowsPhone: Getting started!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If one of our Members helps you, be sure to THANK him or her!

  21. MrBurrrns's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    170 Posts
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Se1fcr3ation View Post
    you Contradict your self every other post so Forgive me if i find a lack of credibility in your words.
    I think I explained in my second post, that what I meant was that there are no intermittent problems in the sense that every problem has an explanation a cause and a solution. I apologize if that was not clear, but I am not a native speaker, so some things might get lost in the translation. I hope it is clear now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Se1fcr3ation View Post
    And one thing I dont understand is how you seem to think its MS's responsibility to FIX goggles's codes...


    WHAT!?!? .... So its MS's responsibility to Fix Google's e-mail? lol..
    this makes no sens, Google have ALL the proper tools/API's to make this work perfectly yet they haven't. not very complicated , WP OS have ALL the proper API's to support this.
    I repeat, there are no standards for email grouping. And a third party application has to respect the rules of the source system. The only reason why this appears to work on WP and break in the Gmail site is because the Gmail grouping is more complex than the one implemented in the WP client (which seems to only check the Subject), so it is not affected by the problem it itself creates.

    You did not even experience the problem, you know nothing about it and yet you keep repeating "it's Google's fault, it's Google's fault". That does not move the conversation further. I provided a possible root cause, you are welcome to comment on that but please be constructive. All evidence points to this being a problem with the WP implementation of Gmail. You have no proof that this is a Google problem, only your biased opinion against all that is not Microsoft related.

    If you want to look at it from another angle, imagine this being a problem with Hotmail on iOS. Who would you expect to fix it, Apple or MS? I'll answer that one for you: Apple.
    Last edited by MrBurrrns; 07-25-2012 at 08:07 PM.
  22. #22  
    If you ask me I think this thread oughta be closed.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions