Tango updates issues? (sorry to double post)

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to double post this but thought I might get more replies here as there is probably more traffic than the Focus S forum.

OK guys, I'm about to pull the trigger on a Focus S to tide me over until WP8 arrives BUT there are two things I must have clarified before I'm willing to do this:

1. The correct procedure to update to Tango WITHOUT losing interop unlock AND ensuring the Samsung firmware update is received (that fixes keyboard sound lag and the "pop" sound when changing music tracks while plugged into AUX in on car stereo)
  2. I'm reading that the Samsung update breaks MMS for certain carriers? I use Straight Talk and would like to know if this bug affects EVERYONE if using the Samsung Wireless App to edit / add APN data, or is it just T-Mobile? Could the provxml method of deploying MMS info work if required (as per original Focus)?
Thanks guys, I really want to get this phone but these two things are important to me.

I'll await your responses.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Hey Woodbane,

for your first Question , the only thing I could find was this 10step: AddictiveTips ? Blog ArchiveUpdate To Windows Phone Tango Without Losing Unlock

2. im not sure about broken MMS, normally that happens when you have a carrier unlock phone and then dont update the APN properly , and using the PROVXML seems to work ,I found allot of topics on this from people using it on Samsung and HTC phones.

check this Thread out that links to other Threads: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1236103
seem he got it to work on BELL from Rogers here in Canada , so in theory it should work on all Carriers.

hope this helps a little :p

Last edited:

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey Woodbane,

for your first Question , the only thing I could find was this 10step: AddictiveTips ? Blog ArchiveUpdate To Windows Phone Tango Without Losing Unlock

2. im not sure about broken MMS, normally that happens when you have a carrier unlock phone and then dont update the APN properly , and using the PROVXML seems to work ,I found allot of topics on this from people using it on Samsung and HTC phones.

check this Thread out that links to other Threads: [Q] provxml file to configure MMS on Samsung - xda-developers
seem he got it to work on BELL from Rogers here in Canada , so in theory it should work on all Carriers.

hope this helps a little :p
Thanks for the tips but I think I'm already ahead of the curve somewhat as I've already manually updated my OG Focus to Tango using the cab update method. I didn't lose interop unlock (used the xap file found over at XDA) and didn't lose MMS.

I guess I'm trying to find out why some people have reported losing MMS (but I'm wondering if it's to do with the long T-Mobile mmsc line). I understand the final Samsung LE2 update may also be the issue so I'm going to:

a) ensure I have a backup of the phone once it hits Mango so I can roll back if necessary and
b) upgrade one step at a time and ensure I keep interop unlock and MMS at each stage until the Samsung LE2 update deployment and see what happens. I'll make sure I deploy MMS via provxml as well before the Samsung update to see if that works.

I still don't get why I won't just be able to use the Samsung Wireless App to configure the MMS even once it's fully updated (surely they wouldn't break their own app?) but I'm going to do everything I can to ensure I get a fully updated Tango Focus S with MMS and interop unlock working.

I've ordered on anyway so I guess we'll see.

:D

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
well the post ive seen about losing MMS was from NOKIA users. they for some reason have a different UI in the setups and what not. (from what ive seen)

I dont think you will have a problem , like you said just make sure you back up so you can rollback to pre-update.

I also dont think the APN app from Samsung is broken or will break,
did you see any one claiming this??

it should still work with ether: Wirelesses manager or the Network Profile tool

1: Samsung updates Network Profile tool, fixes unlocked issues for good | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews

2: Samsung releases Wireless Manager app | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews

best of luck :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon