For the last 2 weeks, I had the Galaxy S III in my pocket..

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
...and my Windows Phone on my hip. (Lumia 900) The GSIII is on Verizon. My Lumia 900 of course is on AT&T. The skinny on this is, my son runs a tech blog and gets a bunch of smart phone evals in to review. Ergo, I get to check em out. :) So for 2 weeks I had the Galaxy S III in my pocket.

Guess which one got hardly any use at all?

If you guessed my Lumia 900 got hardly any use you'd be wrong at the top of your lungs. I found I didn't even care about the Galaxy s III. Even I was surprised. It looks nice and has apps that my Lumia doesn't yet have. But, there isn't much about android I find appealing anymore. Its not engaging like my Windows Phone is.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
*faints*

I found myself eyeing this phone as well. Hopefully Samsung uses this same body for a Windows Phone device

dwayne.williams

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure Samsung will come out with something comparable. It isn't using that the OP found the Lumia to be a better phone. Android is awesome, but it doesn't offer much that other OSes don't.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I've had the Galaxy S3 for two weeks, also. :D They're both great devices, and we all have our preferences. I'll still drop a SIM card in my Focus on ocassion. I'll definitely own a WP8 device, but right now, the S3 is a pretty cool phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

krashek

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
That is really nice to hear. I was impressed with some SIII features, but it's just for show.

although I do not have 800/900 (i have 710) I am extremely happy with it!

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
my buddy just got the GS3.... and honestly, aside from the screen size being perfect :p lol... MEH!

2 things i do like about the GS3 doh.

1: the if your looking at your phone it wont go to standby.. ( cool feature)

2: if your doing something and you wana send a txt ( like watching a vid) you can shrink the size of the VIDEO and leave a part of the screen for your text page. sorta like having multi windows open on a PC..

very nice. aside from that.. its an Android.. soo.. no thanks :happy:

Tyresian

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I find that Android is really fun to play with and you can burn a ton of time with it.

But if you just want your information and to get things done quickly Windows Phone is the best.
iPhone is somewhere in the middle, closer to the Android side of things.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I dunno - I think if I had an SIII, I'd just swap SIM cards between it and my Titan II.

I'm really intrigued by the SIII, I've used it a little at an AT&T store and it really is a nice device, and from what I've read about Android 4.0 and up, its gotten a lot smoother and less prone to crashing.

I *might* go back to Android when my upgrade is available in November. I do have a lot invested in their ecosystem already.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
*faints*

I found myself eyeing this phone as well. Hopefully Samsung uses this same body for a Windows Phone device

I wonder why, it looks the same as all other samsung phone's since the first galaxy. Doesnt seem to be unique or attractive in any special way to me.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
The Galaxy S3 is so pretty. Is my absolute dream phone, I think it looks ugly in photos but in person? My oh my. And is so light!! and the pictures look amazing.

Sadly I can't stand the UI so I was really mad when Samsung decided to lame it up for the W8 release. I'm so mad >=(

I wonder why, it looks the same as all other samsung phone's since the first galaxy. Doesnt seem to be unique or attractive in any special way to me.

You need to see it in person and hold with it your own hands. Is pretty much the perfect phone.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
:giggle:
...and my Windows Phone on my hip. (Lumia 900) The GSIII is on Verizon. My Lumia 900 of course is on AT&T. The skinny on this is, my son runs a tech blog and gets a bunch of smart phone evals in to review. Ergo, I get to check em out. :) So for 2 weeks I had the Galaxy S III in my pocket.

Guess which one got hardly any use at all?

If you guessed my Lumia 900 got hardly any use you'd be wrong at the top of your lungs. I found I didn't even care about the Galaxy s III. Even I was surprised. It looks nice and has apps that my Lumia doesn't yet have. But, there isn't much about android I find appealing anymore. Its not engaging like my Windows Phone is.

it is a gorgeous phone, but i will wait for a windows 8 device. and even i will admit jelly bean is pretty smooth, but like you said, not as engaging as our lovely OS. i have an iphone and a trophy. i love my trophy but there are still things it cant do... so i patiently wait for a windows 8 device on verizon... sigh

speedfreak228

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I have the galaxy s3. I love the phone, its fast and problem free. I will be buying a wp8 phone as long as they have screens close to the size of mine. The s3 just doesn't give you the feeling using a Windows phone does. Windows phone feels alive and personal. I will miss some apps but I'm keeping my s3 anyway.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
The S3 and One-X(S) are very good phones for android. That being said I would love to have a WP8 like that and it's very likely that in the fall this will happen. Now if I can just get a job.

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Great to hear, OP.

I personally got to play with one SIII yesterday and I find it pretty meh. Design is nothing special from my POV. The won't-stand-by-while-you're-looking is really nice, though.

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
You can take photos with voice commands, like "shoot". Palm swipe on the screen to do a screen capture. Lifting the phone to your ear while viewing a contact's details, message or call log will initiate a phone call to that contact. The alarm clock will play your selected alarm sound for a few seconds, then will "say" the current time, current weather and the day's forecast, any appointments you have that day, and the top news headline. Of course, any of these and other features can be disabled.

I also like that with the GS3's stock launcher, the app drawer can be configured as an alphabetical list with letter "hot keys", similar to WP7. You really appreciate how intuitive this is compared to searching for an app through pages of the traditional Android/iPhone app icon grids.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
The HTC One X looks better and has a better camera but it doesn't have a removable battery or SD slot. Also it's made by HTC.

Samsung cameras have superior white balance and more natural color production. HTC tend to oversaturate colors, which can be amazing or bad depending on what you're shooting. Both Cameras are hugely configurable, though, but most smartphone users don't want to have to fiddle with half a dozen settings all the time to get a great picture. So I'd choose the GS3 over the One X even for the camera since the default picture quality is more natural and better white balance, and the Video+Audio recording on the Samsung is clearly superior (the latter being what I most use my smartphone for, for home video analysis).

HTC isn't really known for high quality these days, BTW, that was the whole point of the One Series, and they took a bunch of shortcuts with that device (some of which you mentioned) to achieve that :p

The lack of an SD slot is a deal breaker in the US for many people given it's only available as a 16GB variant. It also has half the RAM of the S3, which has a 64GB SDXHC slot in it. The screen is better for some people, but for multi-media I prefer the GS3 screen's punchier colors (color temerature is configurable in TW Nature UX, BTW). The AMOLED screen is more battery efficient than the LCD, and the GS3 has a factorably larger battery than the One X - and it's removeable.

TouchWiz has more value in it's bloat than Sense does, which is a complete turn-around from, say, two years ago.

The S3 is easily the superior phone, especially since even between the cameras there isn't so much to choose between the two. The biggest difference are more in the software, IMO, which is superior on HTC phones (like Half Speed 720p), but Samsung is no longer far behind even in that area. Samsung's phone produces much better video than the HTC, especially when you factor in the sound quality in the video. Another thing I like about Samsung is that often their camera firmware is updateable independently of their smartphone software FW (and not subject to carrier approval). My Vibrant got like 3 camera FW updates when I owned it. Not sure if the GS2 or 3 is set up similarly...

HTC has always had white balance issues in their cameras, I dunno what the issue is but they keep making this mistake. But even the One X has the Yellow Tint issue phones like the Vivid and Amaze 4G (and Rezound) exhibit (mostly in lower light conditions - i.e. not outside on a sunny day where they took amazing images). It's as if they put a Yellow Backlight in their Camera Sensor so when the backlight is ramped up in lower lighting it tints the entire image yellow (which, admittedly, is better than the Pink/Purple/Fuschia they were known for in the past). They also continue to treat video (especially the sound in the video) like second class citizens

You get better 1080p Video+Sound out of a Galaxy S2 (nevermind a GS3) than out of a One Series device. At least it's better than the Vivid/Amaze4G/Rezound, though, which was so bad you pretty much had no choice but to turn sound recording off (and they only recorded in Mono).

Screen Cap from a video taken with HTC One X in lower light indoor conditions (an Ice Rink):

jumplandingx.jpg

That's just not acceptable white balance in the camcorder. The Ice is White. Use that as your frame of reference.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3