Update to outlook.com and keep purchased apps

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
And one more thing, what happens to social networks and audible that are associated with your hotmail account when you switch to outlook account?

Sent from my HTC HD7 using Board Express

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Nah, already checked. Just wonderd if you'd be willing to ask so I don't have to go through the whole sign up procedure.

Lol okay, just post the question exactly as you want it worded and I'll submit it. Though they may not get around to answering it any time soon given the volume of questions currently posed.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
And one more thing, what happens to social networks and audible that are associated with your hotmail account when you switch to outlook account?

Nothing I would think. I mean it's only a login account you create for any site that you're using email as a username. It's not like when you log in to a site it checks back with Hotmail every time to ensure that account still exists. It's checking your credentials against what is stored for that site.

Plus it states that if you do a rename from @hotmail or @live to @outlook, that your prior email address will remain an alias on your account - so you'll still get email from places where you used it as your login. You can just slowly switch over to the new address on those sites in your own time.

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site

My guess is all the backend stuff that is associated with your hotmail is present if you update to an outlook ID. On a meta-level I think we should think of it more as a "Microsoft account" and changing your ID shouldn't mess with settings/purchases associted with said MSFT account.

...of course, I'm just inferring based on MSFT's response on Reddit about settings/purchases on WP/W8.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Lol okay, just post the question exactly as you want it worded and I'll submit it. Though they may not get around to answering it any time soon given the volume of questions currently posed.

"Will it be necessary to associate my Xbox Live gamertag with the new @outlook.com address to ensure Xbox Live functionality on Windows Phone?"

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Lol, yep that was me. About to post it here, but you beat me to it! Still though...kinda want someone else to do it first and report back =P

Can you ask about skydrive? or somebody ask if they switch to outlook, the 25gb skydrive remains?

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Can you ask about skydrive? or somebody ask if they switch to outlook, the 25gb skydrive remains?

I'd be interested as well. I would HOPE that doing a rename would grandfather your Skydrive account in whereas creating a new @outlook.com address witll only give you the 7GB.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I'd be interested as well. I would HOPE that doing a rename would grandfather your Skydrive account in whereas creating a new @outlook.com address witll only give you the 7GB.

People on verge said it remains intact, but can we trust the verge?

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
People on verge said it remains intact, but can we trust the verge?

Logically it just makes sense. By doing a rename from within the web interface, MS knows you are still using that account, just giving it a different email address. Therefore - everything associated with that account should carry over.

Creating a new account is exactly that - a new account with nothing associated already and therefore only gets the 7GB.

That's what would make sense to me anyhow.

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
So...has anyone actually tried it yet? I would but since Windows 8 is the only OS on my PC at the moment I don't want to have to deal with it right now...

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Anybody know what happens to your xbox live account after changing the email? My xbox live account is tied to my hotmail, if it changes, how do i access my live account then?

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Anybody know what happens to your xbox live account after changing the email? My xbox live account is tied to my hotmail, if it changes, how do i access my live account then?

You need to go to account seetings actually on your xbox console and chage your live ID over to the new email address - this is what takes all your purchases, points, app history etc. to the new email addy.

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
I updated my account from hotmail to outlook and my Windows 8 account actually switched automatically. I didn't have to disconnect/reconnect or anything. I don't have a WP at the moment (nor XBOX) so I can't speak for that unfortunately.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I updated my account from hotmail to outlook and my Windows 8 account actually switched automatically. I didn't have to disconnect/reconnect or anything. I don't have a WP at the moment (nor XBOX) so I can't speak for that unfortunately.

When you say switched automatically, do you now see yourself logged in with your new outlook email or what indicates it has switched? Thanks.

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
When you say switched automatically, do you now see yourself logged in with your new outlook email or what indicates it has switched? Thanks.

After changing the address online, I logged out of my Windows 8 account and logged back in and the email address displayed in the upper right in Metro view is my new @outlook.com account. I didn't have to disconnect my old account and add a new one.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
After changing the address online, I logged out of my Windows 8 account and logged back in and the email address displayed in the upper right in Metro view is my new @outlook.com account. I didn't have to disconnect my old account and add a new one.

Ok, thought you meant you didnt have to log out. Only thing keeping all WP users is probably the lack of backup, otherwise I personally would switch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion