05-07-2013 08:32 AM
- Hey guys,
Just wondering if anyone has updated their hotmail account to outlook.com. I know by default messages sent to [your hotmail username]@outlook.com will get sent to you if you create the alias, but I want my live account to actually BE my outlook address. There's an option to change it but it gives the following warning:
"Warning: You might not want to change this email address if you've used it to set up a Windows Phone. On your phone, features that use this address will stop working, including Marketplace, Xbox LIVE, SkyDrive, email, and others. To use these features again on your phone, you'd need to restore it to factory settings, which erases all personal content."
I can't really tell what this means. I have purchased apps under my @hotmail live account ID, so I want to confirm that these would be retained (after I factory reset and log in using my @outlook login). I'm also using Windows 8 which requires a Live sign in which is also my @hotmail account...so I'm assuming the behavior would be the same. I'm just hesitant to update my ID if it means losing my settings=/ I would hope MSFT would anticipate this and it should work perfectly...
UPDATE: The Outlook team has answered the question and apparently given the go-ahead on renaming your Live ID to outlook.com via their IAmA on Reddit. Here's the link (also discussed below in the thread): http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...okcom_service/
Last edited by mtmjr90; 07-31-2012 at 02:28 PM.07-31-2012 01:21 PM
- 07-31-2012 01:45 PM
You will get the same outlook experience in the web without changing your hotmail account. Are you really that ashamed by it that you will risk losing everything?07-31-2012 01:58 PM
- I went and grabbed an alias so I could get my name but I set up my phone with my hotmail.com account. From what I read I need to reset my phone (and start all over again with contacts, facebook, marketplace) if I want to use outlook.com as my email account on my phone.
I think I'll wait until this all shakes out.07-31-2012 02:04 PM
- Ok, Mary Jo Foley on Twitter responded to me and linked to this ZDnet post by Matt Miller:
Windows Phone users: do not rename your email to Outlook.com | ZDNet
Here's a sample from the post:
"From what I can tell, you can go and sign up for Outlook.com email accounts to ensure you get the name you want and then just leave the Live.com or Hotmail.com email you have associated with your Windows Phone in place. I imagine this will change with Windows Phone 8, but it seems these two teams were not working together for this Outlook.com rollout."
Evidently we're stuck for now...glad I didn't tempt fate and try anyway! Given that this outlook.com stuff is still a preview, I'm hoping the situation changes soon though.07-31-2012 02:05 PM
- Apparently there's an AMA on Reddit right now with the development team. I'll try to get an answer there.
We are the team behind the new Outlook.com service, AUsA : IAmA07-31-2012 02:05 PM
- Aaaaand here's the answer! Apparently everything works out OK after the factory resetting. :DYou will not have to re-purchase anything. For WP7 you will need to reset your phone, and signin with the new account. You will need to reinstall all apps, but won't have to re-purchase any of them. You'll also need to go to sync settings and make sure mail is enabled.
For W8, you need to disconnect your account and then reconnect your new one, but then everything is preserved.07-31-2012 02:11 PM
Q: I have purchased apps and settings (on WP7 and W8) associated with my @hotmail Live ID. I want to update my account's ID to my new @outlook.com address and retain all my settings and purchases. Is this possible yet?
- You will not have to re-purchase anything. For WP7 you will need to reset your phone, and signin with the new account. You will need to reinstall all apps, but won't have to re-purchase any of them. You'll also need to go to sync settings and make sure mail is enabled.
So there youhave it folks - all your purchases etc will absolutely migrate over and then you'll have to switch your Xbox Live gamertag over to the new address via XBox console (unless I'm missong something and this also happens automatically) and then hard reset your phone and sign in with the new @outlook.com address to get it all working again.
I might even try this tonight!07-31-2012 02:19 PM
Sent from my HTC HD7 using Board Express07-31-2012 02:26 PM
I'd have thought this step would be necessary otherwise Windows phone will generate a "fake" gamertag for you.07-31-2012 02:28 PM
- 07-31-2012 02:33 PM
- 07-31-2012 02:34 PM
- 07-31-2012 02:36 PM
- 07-31-2012 02:38 PM
Plus it states that if you do a rename from @hotmail or @live to @outlook, that your prior email address will remain an alias on your account - so you'll still get email from places where you used it as your login. You can just slowly switch over to the new address on those sites in your own time.07-31-2012 02:39 PMLike 1
...of course, I'm just inferring based on MSFT's response on Reddit about settings/purchases on WP/W8.07-31-2012 02:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD