Get rid of Letters in Apps list

shumski

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi

I noticed today letters appeared in my Apps list without any reason. I didn't install applications and their number is <40. The letters are very annoying to me. I tried to uninstall applications I had but nothing happened.

Can somebody help me?

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
If You have updated to Tango the letters should disappear once You have removed some apps.

Actually I like the letters, the first thing I do after a hard reset is to install enough apps to make the letters appear ;)

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
The letters are the best way to move around your list, just tap a letter to jump to a different section!

For the first time I have to strongly agree on this. This is one of the few usefull exclusives on WP. Makes searching through apps lightning fast. Tap, tap, your done.

Why going through the trouble of uninstalling **** again after installing them ? Just adapt and start using the letters. Once you're used to it, you'll see you'll find anything way faster then scrolling through them, and it don't matter if you have 40 or 400 apps, it'll still be evenly fast.

I'm still not FOR wp, cause it lacks a lot of basic and important stuff. But I do think that lots of folks are still way too upstuck about doing things differently then they're used to. Put a little effort into it for just a little while, really, you'll be used to it in no time.
WP lacks so many things, so you should at least use the features that ARE there.

The letters, for one, I wouldn't want to do without anymore.

neogodless

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
As per usual, I think the "give the user a choice" isn't a terrible refrain. I know that "minimizing choice" has merits. But I also like to minimize how many apps I have installed. If I'm not using them, I'd rather not worry about the long list. And I find the alpha links annoying because I sometimes press them even after I'm at the app I want. Say I want "Facebook", I'll accidentally tap the alpha, and have to hit F again, which actually wastes time. With a very short app list, I can usually find and click the app on the first try, and it feels quicker than hitting an A, hitting the first letter (which I have to think about, because I'm not very smart :winktongue:) and then finally touching the app. So I think - either add an option or... just remove the alpha links when your app count drops back below 40 again.

(BTW, I'm now on a Lumia 920 with WP8, and the behavior seems to same as it was with WP7. Once you've hit 40, no amount of uninstalling will fix it!) I have ~39 apps in the right side (including all email accounts and other "built-in") apps, and the letters add ~20 extra spaces to the list. (Also ~15 games installed.)

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
When I first looked at the 920 in store and didn't see the letters I went into panic mode. It would be nearly impossible to navigate the phone without them.

neogodless

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Without the alpha links, you can see just under 10 apps at once. If you have <= 40 apps, that's at most, 4 "screens" worth. You can scroll very rapidly through the list. To click A, then S, then Spotify, might take longer than a flick up that scrolls you to the bottom and you click Spotify. Again, it's personal preference. I LOOOOVE touching my screen with gestures much more than point and poke motions, but that's just me. I love to caress my 920.

If anything, it'd make sense to ADD those jump links to the Games list, which is a little confusing, as it's sort of "arbitrarily" listed as "Recent", then "Microsoft/XBOX" titles and then all the rest. I find myself scrolling through that list all the time trying to find games, where a single list with Jump links would definitely speed things up.

ushmay pratap singh

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Re: i want Letters in Apps list

Before i was having letters in my apps list due to some reason i have to reset my phone now I'm having more than 40 apps letters are not coming please help me to regain those letters

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: i want Letters in Apps list

Before i was having letters in my apps list due to some reason i have to reset my phone now I'm having more than 40 apps letters are not coming please help me to regain those letters

you need 45 apps including system apps such as settings, phone, etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720