Stop whining i owned the Arrive and the Lumia 900

Coach David

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Please don't defend Microsoft. They knew no update would arrive for my lumia.

I have been happy with WP7, but only because Microsoft promised a better update strategy. Our phones are now general purpose computers with pricy data plans, and long two year contracts. So yes I am angry, and will not be purchasing another. Why if I am happy?

The main reason is because the beta test was over.. Really I trusted the message Microsoft pushed about providing iPhone style phone updates while giving us Android style of choice.

I've seen people excuse this lie by saying, be happy with what you have. Apple does not say this to its user base. I won't bring up Android because you must own a Nexus device to be truly happy with your investment.
I traded an EVO for an Arrive. I believed what Microsoft told me about updates. All phones, all the time.
Well, with so much time to think about what I don't get...for the next two years

-Turn by turn navigation, while my phone screen is off.
-Open another app, return to the start screen, start the same app, and expect it to be where I left off
-Get my money back

I complain because I am right. Don't promise if you can't deliver.

I stayed away from the iPhone for two reasons. Screen size, and the people who talk bad about anything not Apple. Well now I see WP has the people talking (not sure why as the platform is incomplete), and the Lumia 900 upgrade betrayal.

I am going to get out before Microsoft hits me again.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrBurrrns

Banned
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Well, this is the backlash that MS has to deal with now. Some people don't care, some people are upset. They do have a right to be, you know?

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Not going to get into a platform war here, but where are you going to go? Every platform has its quirks. If you keep bouncing around you may find yourself going in circles. Too much work for me.

Long ago I settled on a platform/ecosystem that I could trust and offered me choices/options. A platform is bigger than any one product and one needs to see the big picture. By being monogamous, might I be missing out on some of the features other platforms/ecosystems offer? Maybe. But it has sure made life simpler.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Well, this is the backlash that MS has to deal with now. Some people don't care, some people are upset. They do have a right to be, you know?

People have every right to be upset but there's really nothing unique about the OP's post to warrant having its own thread. It could of been tossed into one of the other WP8 threads. And considering this is his first post... well that's just bad forum etiquette. :p

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I just want to know why he said "Stop whining" when it seems like he's doing the whining. Other than that, I understand his point of view. I might not agree with it 100 percent, but I understand it.

MrBurrrns

Banned
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
People have every right to be upset but there's really nothing unique about the OP's post to warrant having its own thread. It could of been tossed into one of the other WP8 threads. And considering this is his first post... well that's just bad forum etiquette. :p

You are right of course. But you also have to look at it from his perspective. He got screwed and when you get screwed you don't just sit back and take it. It's only human and what better place is there to express this? You don't want to be just another lost voice, you want to be heard.

But of course, the best way how you can show your feelings is with your next smartphone purchase. The WP user base is small as it is and only time will tell if MS really could afford to screw over their most dedicated and loyal users... We'll find out soon.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
In before the close, MS never said that they will update the phones all the time. The new WPs will be guaranteed at least 18 months worth of updates which is reasonable since most contracts are 24 months long. All in all we still don't know what 7.8 will contain and this situation is no different than what apple does.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
What sort of response are you expecting here? There are plenty of other threads for this topic that already exist.

MrBurrrns

Banned
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
In before the close, MS never said that they will update the phones all the time. The new WPs will be guaranteed at least 18 months worth of updates which is reasonable since most contracts are 24 months long. All in all we still don't know what 7.8 will contain and this situation is no different than what apple does.

Please, let's not start this again. It's not the same.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
OP can you please link us to where Microsoft promised updates?

This being your first post I want to welcome you to the WPC if you are seriously looking for help please respond to the some of the members here that are trying to help. If you don't wish to discuss the topic and questions in your thread than will be forced closed it.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes go to blackberry. They are going to screw over their people again with bb10 just like they did with the os 7 update and leave legacy owners in the dust

You can buy an android and hope your device gets pulled out of the hat by random selection for the next update.

Or sit it out with iPhone where you can have updates for two years with the new iPhone, but have to buy new accessories cause they don't fit your phone anymore. That nifty dock clock you got will be useless with the 5

Or get a webos device. Oh wait....

So tired of this s***. Like this deserved a single thread on it's own

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Yes go to blackberry. They are going to screw over their people again with bb10 just like they did with the os 7 update and leave legacy owners in the dust

You can buy an android and hope your device gets pulled out of the hat by random selection for the next update.

Or sit it out with iPhone where you can have updates for two years with the new iPhone, but have to buy new accessories cause they don't fit your phone anymore. That nifty dock clock you got will be useless with the 5

So tired of this s***. Like this deserved a single thread on it's own

Wow good point, yea that port change is going to cause a huge backlash; much bigger than the 7.8 /8 one that we're going through. Worst thing about it is it's not even micro USB.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Wow good point, yea that port change is going to cause a huge backlash; much bigger than the 7.8 /8 one that we're going through. Worst thing about it is it's not even micro USB.

There will be upset people over the port change for sure. Apple will probably sell an adapter for 29.99 so the new phone will work with the old stuff.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I think with that iphone port change, WP can get a chance to snag some unhappy campers over there too. But too bad there aren't many MP3 player/alarm clock docks for WP phones. Probably won't snag many, but if they get it then they can further spread the word about the WP goodness.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site

Thank you. Gave me good laugh tonight. The Android Update Lottery. I like it.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

MrBurrrns

Banned
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
You're right, only differences are the version number and kernel change. Why do you keep trolling my posts?

Because you keep posting things that are simply not true. You can take an iPhone 4 and run any app in the app store. With the Lumia 900, a mere 6 MONTHS after it was released, when WP8 apps start to come out, you will NOT be able to run them. That's the difference. Or rather one of the differences, I'm not going to get into the whole WP 7.8 vs 8 thing again. But it's not the same and it would be nice if you would stop spreading FUD.

You might be right about the port change, I'll give you that. But that's another topic and nothing is official yet. Let's see how Apple handles that first and then we can comment on that.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Because you keep posting things that are simply not true. You can take an iPhone 4 and run any app in the app store. With the Lumia 900, a mere 6 MONTHS after it was released, when WP8 apps start to come out, you will NOT be able to run them. That's the difference. Or rather one of the differences, I'm not going to get into the whole WP 7.8 vs 8 thing again. But it's not the same and it would be nice if you would stop spreading FUD.

You might be right about the port change, I'll give you that. But that's another topic and nothing is official yet. Let's see how Apple handles that first and then we can comment on that.

They are true for the most part, plus I don't think an app created with an iPhone 4S in mind would run smoothly on an iPhone 3GS. The only reason apps wouldn't run is if they use native code which will be in some games.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb