Lumia 900 Network Setup App

shaunguthrie

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
I thought I might as well open up a discussion here since Nokia is **** bent on moderating our conversations around the Network Setup App and it's availability primarily in Canada.

For those who are not in the know, check this out. Nokia Support Discussions - Lumia 900 MMS Settings (Where is Network Pofile Ap... - Nokia Support Discussions

The MMS Settings for a legally unlocked Lumia 900 are not configurable yet there is an application that was released a month ago to configure these settings. However Canada and India were left without the application. Nobody in Nokia has been able to answer why even though SOMEONE within Nokia made that decision. Kosh, the one moderator within the discussion board has really done nothing, saying he's working on it and escalating however nothing has transpired.

Has anyone been successful of escalating this issue with Nokia?

Thanks

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
My guess is the Carriers made that decision for Nokia, by either not providing adequate information, or requesting that it not be made available. Pretty sure Nokia's goal is not to piss off customers. Just sayin.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

shaunguthrie

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
My guess is the Carriers made that decision for Nokia, by either not providing adequate information, or requesting that it not be made available. Pretty sure Nokia's goal is not to piss off customers. Just sayin.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
There is only one carrier in Canada that has the Lumia 900, Rogers. However they have allowed the unlocking of the phone from their network so it can be used on Telus or Bell. So given that fact there should be no reason why the carrier would block it. I cannot even call Rogers since I'm not a customer of theirs to get support on this.

Either way the phone is allowed to be unlocked from the carrier and as such the application should be available to us. If that really is the reason then Nokia should say so and give us a number of who to call about it.

Nokia has done a fine job of pissing people off by not providing any support or any real information in this way. I've already filed a complain with the Competition Bureau as they have features of the phone they advertise that are not working. Thus is in violation of the policies this Bureau enforces.

In the end, we just want the app so we can configure the mms settings.

shaunguthrie

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
Updated info from TELUS

This is what I received from TELUS today regarding information about why it's not available in Canada.

"It is not available in Canada, as the operator specific settings, within a specific carrier variant, will not allow Network Setup to work properly, and will cause additional issues with the phones functionality."

However this is untrue as I can reformat the phone, set it up with a US Live ID and then download, install the Network Setup App and the phone works fine. However any purchases made with my Canadian live ID will not work. So really what's going on here??

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
This is what I received from TELUS today regarding information about why it's not available in Canada.

"It is not available in Canada, as the operator specific settings, within a specific carrier variant, will not allow Network Setup to work properly, and will cause additional issues with the phones functionality."

However this is untrue as I can reformat the phone, set it up with a US Live ID and then download, install the Network Setup App and the phone works fine. However any purchases made with my Canadian live ID will not work. So really what's going on here??

This is why I normally always buy unbranded/unlocked phones. I buy a lot of imports.

I am not sure what Telus is trying to say. It's not clear to me.

If you can set the phone up with a US live ID, install network setup and then select your carrier. I don't understand why you can't make a purchase using a credit card?

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Buying an unbranded phone wouldn't have made any difference in these cases. If you want to use a Canadian based Live ID (settings, apps, XBox points, etc) the network profile app just isn't there to download in the Canadian marketplace.

The carrier interference here is outrageous. :mad:

I bought my phone from Rogers, and paid $60 to Rogers to have them unlock it. Rogers actually had the gall to tell me that because I unlocked the phone, that my warranty was voided. It's not like I paid some internet site to unlock it. I paid Rogers RIDICULOUS unlocking fee to specifically prevent them from voiding my warranty.

The issue almost certainly is carrier interference, but the minute those same carriers started providing unlocked phones to Canadian consumers was the minute they lost any right to prevent the release of the Network Setup App into the wider Canadian market. MMS and Internet Sharing are BASIC functionalities of a smartphone, it hurts Nokia's brand when they are not available on their phones .vs the competition.

I have all the proof Nokia needs to prove this is exactly what the carriers are doing and I hope they're using it behind closed doors.

All this still doesn't excuse the lack of answers coming from Nokia. They need to come out and say plainly whether or not the Network Setup App is going to be made available in the Canadian market. Stringing us along for 10 weeks with nothing but empty promises is not the way they should be dealing with their customers.

shaunguthrie

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
As gwydionjhr has mentioned this kind of interference from carriers (if that really is the issue) needs to be remove since they allow us to unlock phones.

The feature is there, it is available and does work under workarounds however we shouldn't need workaround to use basic features of the phone.

Nokia isn't helping and just providing poor customer service.
Ignoring, deleting and modifying our comments to ensure they look good isn't the way business should be done.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
As gwydionjhr has mentioned this kind of interference from carriers (if that really is the issue) needs to be remove since they allow us to unlock phones.

The feature is there, it is available and does work under workarounds however we shouldn't need workaround to use basic features of the phone.

Nokia isn't helping and just providing poor customer service.
Ignoring, deleting and modifying our comments to ensure they look good isn't the way business should be done.

About all I can suggest is for you to continue your complaint through the Competition Bureau.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon