So what keeps YOU around?

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
With all the options out there, what keeps you with Windows Phone? Or even if you wield a second device, what is it about Windows Phone that draws you back in?

For me, it's about what works. My speed at getting things done have been incredibly fast when using Windows Phone. Searching for things with Bing cuts my time down by a lot. And using the qr reader and music listener in Bing is much faster than opening a separate app. Posting tweets and facebook updates are easier than opening an app. I can follow certain people by creating groups with live tiles and see their updates from there. It works out better than scrolling through individual contacts and seeing their stuff from there. I don't need an alert for every application I have installed. The few that I follow, I have a live tile for and can see updates from my homescreen. The integration and the flow just makes everything CONVENIENT and that is what I need in my phone. Slightly off topic, but I had my first group text message with two iphone users and two android users. The iphone conversations stayed in the same thread whereas the android conversations were individual texts. Not sure if it's because their phones didn't support group sms or if that's not supported in Android. Someone chime in on that

Am I saying it's better than other platforms? No. Do I think everyone will have the same experience? No. Do I think Windows Phone meets everyone's needs? No. But for those that do, I want to see if we all want the same thing or not. It's time to bring back some positive conversations on this forum

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It has more big name apps, such as Netflix, that were lacking on BlackBerry.

It also offers a better browser than BlackBerry.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

MrSean490

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I went for WP because there was a really good limited deal on the E900. What keeps me around is, it pretty much works, albeit it disappoints me sometimes and I think the only android I'd go for would be the GNex, which costs too much unlocked.

anodynamic

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I think the thing that will make me keep WP, despite what features others offer in the future, is the feel of the OS. The visual design is a large part, but the biggest difference compared to others is the motion. The effort Microsoft has put into how the phone responds to taps, scrolling and swiping must have involved serious amounts of research hours. Same goes for animations and transitions, there's just something that's so just right about everything. On most other phones there's a lot of fading in and out when switching between screens, and it all ends up with some oozing effect.

ngc891

May 9, 2012
Visit site
gen 1.5 Titan user since release, came from a few years of awful android handsets. after nine months of usage i can still say that the titan is the best phone i have ever owned, (love the huge screen,) i use it to stay in touch, organize my work, life and email. looking forward to wp8 and will upgrade as soon as my contract allows, however there is no way i can downgrade in screensize now! hoping that nokia is gonna pull something out of the bag.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Had Two Samsung Focus phones. Switched to Android GS2, now have a NL900. I just jump around a lot ,and decided to give WP7 a turn, again.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

axispraxis

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I think the thing that will make me keep WP, despite what features others offer in the future, is the feel of the OS. The visual design is a large part, but the biggest difference compared to others is the motion. The effort Microsoft has put into how the phone responds to taps, scrolling and swiping must have involved serious amounts of research hours. Same goes for animations and transitions, there's just something that's so just right about everything. On most other phones there's a lot of fading in and out when switching between screens, and it all ends up with some oozing effect.

I concure totally with you. The OS is very solid in so many ways, and Marketplace is growing very well. But, there is something about the "feel" of Microsoft's OS. And in my case, the OS
encapsulated in the Nokia Lumia 900, sweet. Microsoft definitely has a vision with Windows Phone. Being a great OS now, even greater things are coming. I'm enjoying the ride very much :)

Last edited:

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Here's what I like about WP:

1: It's beautiful and fluid
2: The keyboard is awesome
3: I like checking in on fb and twitter via the me tile
4: local scout
5: live tiles
6: Bing maps
7: Using the camera button to wake the phone and open the camera app

These are the main things. All in all the user experience is pretty wonderful for me. I have my doubts from time to time, but I am looking forward to WP8.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I bought an ecosystem, not a phone. Within that ecosystem I have choices (unlike a certain popular competitor). That's enough choice for me. Are there certain features or apps unavailable to me as a result. Probably, but so what. Are they life changing kinds of differences. No.

Call me stubborn or pig headed, but I am not going to change ecosystems because I can't swipe a notification away or get a particular app. Windows 8 is going to bring everything within Microsoft's ecosystem together, finally. Will things outside the ecosystem work. Sure they will, just not as well.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

InfectedPhreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Though I don't exactly have a Windows Phone, this is what draws me to WP7 and WP8.

- Live Tiles.
- Integration with popular social media (Facebook and Twitter).
- Ecosystem.
- Threaded messaging.
- App style.
- "At A Glance" notification/toast system. I hate going through notifications, I only need to know 3 notifications (Phone call, text, email). I don't look into other notifications, as long as a tile can tell me that I have a text or an email, I'm happy.

If I had actual hands on with a device, I could probably add more... but I'm stuck still using a DInc.

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
My reason is simple: It just works the way it's suppose to and it's fun to use at the same time.

Coming from a 2G iPhone, Droid, Droid X, and Pre 2, the WP7 UI is just head and shoulders above everyone else (save for the Pre2) but the screen on the Pre2 was just too small and we all know about WebOs' demise.

simonnyc

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
For now...my 2 yr contract with Sprint is what's keeping me with WP7. As much as I love the WP OS, I'm gonna have to see what Sprint has to offer when I'm up for an upgrade in March 2012. If Sprint has a halfway decent WP8 phone, I'll upgrade to it. if Sprint decides not to carry WP8 devices, I'm going to have to jump ship to another OS. I'm more tied to my sero plan over any single phone OS. Even if AT&T or Verizon get killer WP8 phones, i'm not willing to give up my $40/plan for an $80+ plan just to use a WP8 device.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
For my money, it's the only phone OS that offers more of what I want and less of what I don't.

I'm well aware that there are many, many alternative devices out there but other than the Lumia 800 (which I have) and the 900, not one of them is interesting to me. Either in design or software - including other Windows Phones.

Well, that and the fact that even after extensive use, I just can't get on with iOS and Android.

Also, the Nokia apps.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
WP was my first platform so I didn't know any better. I got lucky, I liked my first phone (Focus S), and I love my current L900 so much that right now I'm only interested in Nokia. I've read all the complaints but this phone does everything I need it to do. The only complaint I have is the fact that there are limited "company specific" apps; things like HBO to go, Ford and GM, my credit union. All offer apps but they're only for IOS and Android. I may not like this situation but it's not enough to make me jump ship.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
What keeps me around?

I don't want to pay for another phone. There are a lot of things I wish my phone would do better, and I really don't do very much with it. I would still be using a Blackjack from 2006 with data blocked (no internet, no MMS, no email) if MS didn't offer the Windows Phone Challange. So I am thankful for the phone. I plan on keeping this on for 6 year or more like my old phone.

All the stuff that I wish was different, at the end of the day, just is not important to me. To me, it's just a toy for entertainment.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Having played around with IOS and Droid, I just could not get into them. After playing with Mango I was sold.

A Fluid OS that keeps me informed depending on how I set things up. (Rock Solid and optimized)

Having features built right in without needing a app ( Maps, Local Scout, Office, Xbox,)

The Uniform Exprience across All WP Phones, Simplicity(UI Exprience),

CPU & GPU for nearly everyone is the Same depending if you are 1st Gen, 1.5, 2nd Gen. Only difference in Hardware at this point is Display Size, Camera and Harddrive and OEM Apps When it comes down to it..Expect in case of 610..

Getting things done without needing to flip through a whole bunch of screen to get to that info.

I could probably think of a few more reason's why WP keep me around.

Not going anywhere anytime soon, expect maybe to WP8 in Spring of 2013.

cj-m

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Well...my Lumia 900 is zombified (Nokia screen rebooting for the last 3 weeks)...and i am not in a position to return it or send it to a care centre...so what perfect excuse to wait for and get a new Nokia Win 8 phone :D and a WP 8 tablet?

I prefer WP to iOS and Android...with webOS gone, there is no real other alternatives but WP.

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
The WP UI, the lack of bloat wear (can uninstall anything you don't want) and the fact that everything just works.

Sent from my Lumia 710 using Board Express

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
It just works, simple as that. I don't have to constantly hunt down for custom ROMs or registry tweaks just to make my phone work the way it should. Plus I love the integration which eliminates the need for maybe 70% of apps that most people download. I also love that I can stream almost any song I want on demand right from the music player.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb