Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By theefman
  • 1 Post By kenzibit
  • 1 Post By Reflexx
  1. kenzibit's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    553 Posts
    Global Posts
    563 Global Posts
       #1  
    I feel itchy to post when I read irritating news. Just read this Switching to Xbox Live provided a huge boost for Wordament, can help other games too | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews and I know it's not yet official but if this happens to be true, Screw WP & Microsoft.

    Why is MS always making ziggy decisions? Xbox on Android and iOS? Then why bother buy a WP? Xbox Live is an advantage to WP and keeps on attracting fans to the OS and we are just gonna make it all available, WP is dead for sure....NO DOUBT. I have friends, colleagues who just bought WP because of Xbox, bringing more people to the platform and thus boosting sales. These mobile OSs (Android and iOS) don't create anything for WP so why all these support to them. I always ask and gonna ask again, which people make decisions at Microsoft? Would like to meet them one day. WP platform has nothing as compared to Android and iOS, and we trying to give away the little gold we have to these other platforms...are we slaves?

    Please MS, have some pride and be distinct...you have fans like us here who would love to be distinct, iconized and have features on our beloved OS to boast with and make other OSs jealous....finally attracting more customers. Moving our precious Xbox and tasty achievements to our competitors will do us no good, will just kill WP, and I will have nothing to boast with to my rich droid and iOs fanboys...it'll be just like porting Xbox achievements to Playstation and Nintendo, why will you attract customers from these platforms then?

    MICROSOFT, PLEASE MAKE US PROUD SONS, SOME DECISIONS YOU MAKE KILLS THE SPIRIT IN MOST OF US....IS IT BECAUSE OF THE BENJAMINS??

    JUST PRAY ALL THIS IS FALSE GIMMICK.
    Last edited by kenzibit; 08-28-2012 at 11:21 AM.
  2. SnailUK's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    971 Posts
    #2  
    Of course its about the money.

    I personally don't see the problem, as long as WPx always has the best implementation of XBL functionality.

    Mobile gaming is HUGE, if Microsoft can start taking money/traffic away from the iOS/Sony/Android gaming hubs, and re-direct it at XBL, then XBL is the only winner.

    You can bet Microsoft will start forcing developers to support WP8 with their mobile XBL efforts, again a win for WP.
  3. theefman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,001 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,002 Global Posts
    #3  
    Its all about the green. Dont forget about Office also coming to ios at some point and Smartglass will be on ios and android. Skydrive is also available there as well so unless I'm missing something the only reason to buy a WP would be the Live tiles. WP wont be going anywhere at this rate.

    Quote Originally Posted by SnailUK View Post
    Of course its about the money.

    I personally don't see the problem, as long as WPx always has the best implementation of XBL functionality.

    Mobile gaming is HUGE, if Microsoft can start taking money/traffic away from the iOS/Sony/Android gaming hubs, and re-direct it at XBL, then XBL is the only winner.

    You can bet Microsoft will start forcing developers to support WP8 with their mobile XBL efforts, again a win for WP.
    Isn't the problem that WP wont have the best implementation of XBL? And what would make it the best? At the moment all the ios version lacks is achievements, if that is added its pretty much on par with WP.

    As you say, XBL will be the winner but WP will be the loser.
    Thanked by:
    kenzibit and dgr_874 like this.
  4. #4  
    Microsoft is a business. They don't rely on one line of their hundreds of products. They want to evolve as an ecosystem. If that means introducing more people to XBOX games via Android (70% market share) then so be it. For them it is going to bring more people to buy Xbox Consoles and games - way more money than a WP with only 3% marketshare at the moment. Businesses run by money, not heart right?
  5. theefman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,001 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,002 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    Microsoft is a business. They don't rely on one line of their hundreds of products. They want to evolve as an ecosystem. If that means introducing more people to XBOX games via Android (70% market share) then so be it. For them it is going to bring more people to buy Xbox Consoles and games - way more money than a WP with only 3% marketshare at the moment. Businesses run by money, not heart right?
    Its doubtful that a $2.99 game is going to encourage anyone to buy a $300 console and $60 games. Not in any significant numbers at least.
  6. kenzibit's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    553 Posts
    Global Posts
    563 Global Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    Microsoft is a business. They don't rely on one line of their hundreds of products. They want to evolve as an ecosystem. If that means introducing more people to XBOX games via Android (70% market share) then so be it. For them it is going to bring more people to buy Xbox Consoles and games - way more money than a WP with only 3% marketshare at the moment. Businesses run by money, not heart right?
    So do you mean to tell me Apple and Google are not bussinesses? Then you can just tell Microsoft to stop wasting their time and efforts in trying to make WP boost in sales and gain popularity and focus on the generalizing of all MS products...with that, they will never beat their competitors. Just remember that Apple is soo much successful because of their selfishness.
  7. sinime's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    2,961 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,397 Global Posts
    #7  
    IDK, I don't think it would be a good move to have XBL games on other platforms. May as well start including XBL in PS3 games while your at it.

    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    My Apps: PIP (WP8 - Compass / Flashlight), Beer Knurd (WP7/8)
    Meme 8 Ball (WP8), UnClocked (WP8.1 - Themed Live Tile Clock)
  8. SnailUK's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    971 Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    May as well start including XBL in PS3 games while your at it.
    If Microsoft make money off the XBL membership, i'm sure they'd actually consider it.
  9. TaliZorah's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    644 Posts
    Global Posts
    692 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by theefman View Post
    Its doubtful that a $2.99 game is going to encourage anyone to buy a $300 console and $60 games. Not in any significant numbers at least.
    I believe it works the other way around though. Heck a big selling point for me getting WP was the LIVE integration. Yes there are official XBL apps where you can dress your avatar, and message friends... etc. on the iOS and Android app but XBL games....


    I fear I may turn into a mac baby if they make this move :X

    iPhone 5 vs WP8... whichever has the best phone get's my money now knowing that MS will put LIVE games on iOS.
  10. kenzibit's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    553 Posts
    Global Posts
    563 Global Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by TaliZorah View Post

    I fear I may turn into a mac baby if they make this move :X

    iPhone 5 vs WP8... whichever has the best phone get's my money now knowing that MS will put LIVE games on iOS.
    Exactly, and I can bet that Microsoft will loose massively if they decide on this move. Why will I buy a mere limited WP with few apps if I can get most Microsoft and WP products on iOS and Android, both having tons of features, apps and flexibility? No one will consider WP then again because it will just be left with the Live Tiles being the only property for it.
    dgr_874 likes this.
  11. jimski's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,254 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by kenzibit View Post
    So do you mean to tell me Apple and Google are not bussinesses? Then you can just tell Microsoft to stop wasting their time and efforts in trying to make WP boost in sales and gain popularity and focus on the generalizing of all MS products...with that, they will never beat their competitors. Just remember that Apple is soo much successful because of their selfishness.
    And that will be Apple's eventual demise. I hate proprietary crap. That's probably why I chose the Microsoft ecosystem decades ago. Microsoft is a "software" company, and they will make sure their software works on every platform, regardless of how hard the other platforms try to make that difficult.

    The reality (and most eventually figure it out) is that everything works better within Microsoft's ecosystem. So you can buy in fully for the best experience. Or just nibble for a good, but not great experience.

    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
    Nokia Lumia 900 - OS: 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084
    HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502
  12. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,281 Posts
    #12  
    The sky isn't falling.

    Whether many people buy WP or not in the short term, it's a big part of the MS ecosystem and will continue on. It's not the end of WP by any means.

    MS is trying to make XBL the name in mobile gaming.

    So many have asked to have games that are on other platforms so that they can play with friends. But you don't want to play XBL games with friends?

    If the games aren't available on other platforms, then many people who primarily game on mobile devices will skip WP because they can't play with friends. We've already seen this.

    If XBL succeeds in being the "go-to" service, that's good for the whole ecosystem.

    MS has confidence in the quality of the WP experience. Especially with all the improvements coming with WP8. They're going to battle with the belief that they have a great OS.

    If you dump WP just because Apple or Android also have XBL, then maybe WP isn't really for you. You obviously don't really appreciate the OS itself. And that's OKAY. Get an iPhone or Android and be happy and less bitter.

    There will be more people discovering WP and sticking around because they actually enjoy the OS.
    kenzibit likes this.
  13. kenzibit's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    553 Posts
    Global Posts
    563 Global Posts
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimski View Post
    And that will be Apple's eventual demise. I hate proprietary crap. That's probably why I chose the Microsoft ecosystem decades ago. Microsoft is a "software" company, and they will make sure their software works on every platform, regardless of how hard the other platforms try to make that difficult.

    The reality (and most eventually figure it out) is that everything works better within Microsoft's ecosystem. So you can buy in fully for the best experience. Or just nibble for a good, but not great experience.

    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
    I understand you and that means Microsoft is a Mother to all platforms..great!
  14. kenzibit's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    553 Posts
    Global Posts
    563 Global Posts
       #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    The sky isn't falling.

    Whether many people buy WP or not in the short term, it's a big part of the MS ecosystem and will continue on. It's not the end of WP by any means.

    MS is trying to make XBL the name in mobile gaming.

    So many have asked to have games that are on other platforms so that they can play with friends. But you don't want to play XBL games with friends?

    If the games aren't available on other platforms, then many people who primarily game on mobile devices will skip WP because they can't play with friends. We've already seen this.

    If XBL succeeds in being the "go-to" service, that's good for the whole ecosystem.

    MS has confidence in the quality of the WP experience. Especially with all the improvements coming with WP8. They're going to battle with the belief that they have a great OS.

    If you dump WP just because Apple or Android also have XBL, then maybe WP isn't really for you. You obviously don't really appreciate the OS itself. And that's OKAY. Get an iPhone or Android and be happy and less bitter.

    There will be more people discovering WP and sticking around because they actually enjoy the OS.
    A good point and all that but don't like the idea of Xbox cross platforming. WP needs to have a special value to attract. Hope all goes well.
  15. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,281 Posts
    #15  
    Right now, mindshare is more important than exclusivity. XBOX is nothing right now when it comes to mobile gaming.

    If I'm MS, I make XBL available on all platforms. Then, as I keep improving the service, I make the most seamless experience with Windows Phone. I'd also end up charging for XBL on other platforms, while having it a free and integrated feature on WP.

    MS also has to consider that they just completed serving a 10 yr penalty for using monopoly powers in one industry to influence another. If it looked like they were trying to leverage dominance from Windows AND XBOX for Windows Phone, it could be frowned upon by some tech illiterate members in Congress or the courts.
  16. kenzibit's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    553 Posts
    Global Posts
    563 Global Posts
       #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    If I'm MS, I make XBL available on all platforms. Then, as I keep improving the service, I make the most seamless experience with Windows Phone. I'd also end up charging for XBL on other platforms, while having it a free and integrated feature on WP
    That sounds great to me. I wouldn't be worried if something like that happens.
  17. TaliZorah's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    644 Posts
    Global Posts
    692 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by kenzibit View Post
    A good point and all that but don't like the idea of Xbox cross platforming. WP needs to have a special value to attract. Hope all goes well.
    Agreed. And gamers are a HUGE market!
  18. travis_valkyrie's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    302 Posts
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    #18  
    I think it's the same as what Sony's doing now with their "PlayStation Certified" program. They're allowing OEMs like HTC to have their devices PSC'd so they can gain market from others as well.

    Viewing from a different perspective, it is about mobile gaming, but the platform gets affected. Sony will gain more with Android, but they won't have any problems with the platform, as they inspect which phones are capable of having PSC'd. Spreading the service across android devices is a huge plus to them because Sony's PSVita hasn't been doing so well, same goes to their mobile phones. On the other hand, Microsofts WP has very low marketshare, but the Xbox branding is very popular. They got two things to worry about - Xbox and Windows Phone. With Xbox, they have millions of users, and the services it offers are great. This has become Microsoft's success in multimedia and gaming, but to bring mobile gaming to the mass, either they have to spread more Windows Phones, or bring the Xbox functionality to other platforms.

    If games were to be XBL-enabled, then these games would go under Microsoft's umbrella - this means multi-platform games across devices, no exclusivity, less competition, and by competition I mean just PSN mobile games vs XBL vs Indie.

    And yes, should XBL come to other platforms, MS must at least charge them for the functionality. Maybe $20 (should be a fair price, considering Final Fantasy games are like $10-15)
  19. sentimentGX4's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    241 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,097 Global Posts
    #19  
    Hopefully, Microsoft can gain traction for the XBOX Live Mobile platform and then use the popularity of the platform to force developers to write for Windows Phone. F

    or example, a developer could save money on fees if they write games for both iOS and WP rather than just iOS.
  20. Aadamgibson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    #20  
    That is not what it says at all. Its trying to explain the benefits of adding Xbox Live functionality to games on Windows Phone. They even updated it to clarify that.

Posting Permissions