I know its been asked before but...WiFi calling on T-Mobile

touchthatpad106

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
So my work provided me and android phone and needless to say it was lacking. Always wanting to try a windows phone I put out my own money to buy the HTC Radar. So far I really like the phone and OS even though I am still getting used to it. My question is does T-Mobiles WiFi calling work on this windows phone or any windows phone for that matter? I searched google and some old threads on here and never really got a definitive answer so I figured I would reopen the topic. There doesn't seem to be an option or any inidication that it is on so I would assume its not compatible for Windows Phones? Thanks for the help.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Sadly, there are NO current WP7x devices that support UMA (aka hardware WiFi calling).

From my personal research, T-Mobile has been frustrated with this, and is why they only offer 2 WP devices. T-Mo is somewhat proud to offer UMA capabilities on their network, and prefer only to sell devices that support it, but they couldn't get a manufacturer to put the UMA hardware in their current WP7x devices.

Rumor is that it will come in WP8 devices. It's still a rumor though. Supposedly T-Mo will be offering more WP devices (from low end, to high end phones), as long as they do have WiFi calling.

A nice story about WiFi calling: My friend moved to T-Moble and got an Android phone for his wife. He bought the prepay unlimited voice plan for her, since she is ALWAYS on the phone. When he got his first bill, he was shocked to see that she had only racked up 20 minutes of talk time, when he knew she spent at LEAST 2 hours a day on the phone. He made some inquires as to why. Turns out, it was the WiFi calling, and that doesn't get billed as voice minutes. He switch her plan to a lower costing limited voice minutes plan, and she still hasn't used up her voice minutes.

Last edited:

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Rumor is that it will come in WP8 devices. It's still a rumor though. Supposedly T-Mo will be offering more WP devices (from low end, to high end phones), as long as they do have WiFi calling.

It isn't a rumor, Wifi calling along with deep OS Skype integration was confirmed at the WP dev conference in July (or was it June?).

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
It isn't a rumor, Wifi calling along with deep OS Skype integration was confirmed at the WP dev conference in July (or was it June?).

Oooo... I missed that. So they are putting the UMA hardware in, SWEEET!!

Although, the one other rumor that I dismissed as BS, but who knows... is that T-mo might count WiFi calling minutes against your plan minutes. God I hope this doesn't happen.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Oooo... I missed that. So they are putting the UMA hardware in, SWEEET!!

Although, the one other rumor that I dismissed as BS, but who knows... is that T-mo might count WiFi calling minutes against your plan minutes. God I hope this doesn't happen.

Not really that big of a deal for those not on it yet...but their unlimited minutes are not expensive in the least. I would MUCH rather have them include the technology and charge for it like it was still over the network. It would be worth it to just get the better "reception" area.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I just found this out.

PRE-paid plans do NOT support WiFi (UMA) calling.

So those of you who are thinking, "Hey! I can get the $30, 100min, unlimited text/data plan and just us WiFi calling to save money." DON'T, it ain't gonna happen. If you use a PRE-paid plan, and have a device that does support WiFi calling, and you set it up, and make a call, your call will be counted against your minutes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99