switch from Android to Windows Phone

hirawan77

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
I am very new in this forum. I am currently using Android (2.3) and considering to switch to Windows phone, when version 8 is released. I have some questions regarding windows phone basic stuff:
1. How many apps currently in Windows Phone?
2. I tried windows phone keyboard, however I can't activated multiple dictionaries when I used the keyboard. I have to switch between language by pressing the button next to space bar. Is there a way we can input / upload a user dictionary (txt file)? Is there any similar apps like swiftkey in Android?
3. What do you like from windows phone (current version)?
4. What do you hate from windows phone (current version)?
Thank you

Cheers,
hirawan77

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
I am very new in this forum. I am currently using Android (2.3) and considering to switch to Windows phone, when version 8 is released. I have some questions regarding windows phone basic stuff:
1. How many apps currently in Windows Phone?
2. I tried windows phone keyboard, however I can't activated multiple dictionaries when I used the keyboard. I have to switch between language by pressing the button next to space bar. Is there a way we can input / upload a user dictionary (txt file)? Is there any similar apps like swiftkey in Android?
3. What do you like from windows phone (current version)?
4. What do you hate from windows phone (current version)?
Thank you

Cheers,
hirawan77

1. 100,000+
2. No.
3. There are at least 59 threads about this.
4. Those 59 threads have been flamed at some point to answer this question.

If you "need" an app for everything, WP isn't your phone.
If you "need" to customise all the time, WP isn't you phone.
If you "need" something that just works, WP is your phone.

TheDoros

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Thi is going to sound very "fanboyish" but there isn't really anything I don't like about WinPhone. For my needs it suits everything perfectly.

If I could make one complaint it's that I wish there was a colour selector for tiles rather than just being given options. But other than that I have no complaints.

Also I love how stable it is compared to other OS's. I think I've only had to reboor my HD7 once in the 1.5 years I've had it.

ebradley

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Facebook - intergrated
Twitter - intergrated
MS Office - intergrated
Xbox - intergrated
saving to skydrive (cloud) - intergrated
Maps - intergrated
Music and video - intergrated
barcode/ QR scanner - intergrated
music scanner/match - intergrated
Social notifications - intergrated
personalized tile for social posting - intergrated
live tile notifications that mean something - intergrated

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
One thing I d like to know, as there is no folder structure as such, where do you save stuff to assuming you don't have a SD card?
Just curious as I have folders for everything on Android, so I will need to change the way I keep content. I know there is skydrive, but if saving locally, how does it work if there is no explorer type GUI?

Just curious after reading something in another post...

tayfelix

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Picture and videos are uploaded automatically to SkyDrive under camera roll(I think ) Zune is needed to sync music and videos. Update and backup. Office documents will be store in either SkyDrive or local storage. (2 choices) and you can't access the system folder at all.

Sent from my GT-I8350 using Board Express

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
One thing I d like to know, as there is no folder structure as such, where do you save stuff to assuming you don't have a SD card?

not sure if im answering your question properly, but ill give it a shot

basically u make ur "folder structure" in your computer first then drag and drop the folder to the phone using zune, currently only photo/video/music can be dropped into the phone

not sure how the wp8 will work though, tbh this is the only thing i find a little difficult to manage than id like, otherwise i absolutely love the phone

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Let me ask the OP ... what phone do you have today, and what about your phone would you list as your Top 5 requirements, Top 5 casual/occasional interests, and Top 5 dislikes?

Feel free to list more if it suits you. :)

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site

All apps, built-in and third party, store data in isolated storage, so you can only access the data through that app. Photos are the only thing that can be shared with other apps. Photos you take on your phone can be uploaded to SkyDrive, automatically or manually. Photos, videos and music can be transferred to and from your phone using the desktop Zune software. Office documents you create on the phone will be stored on the phone in Office isolated storage. Or you can save them to SkyDrive (if you have setup an account). With SkyDrive you can also access Office and PDF files to view and/or edit on the phone. So, you don't really need a file explorer system. WP does all the work. Moving from WinMo and managing folders it took a little time to get used to this. But now I wouldn't have it any other way.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720