Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes
    Banned

Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    To Nokia! Just when ya thought things might get good for Nokia they drop the ball! Sorry but the majority agrees.

Why wireless charging won't do Jack!

I forgot... You can say the same about Pureview. I just don't see these two features being huge selling points.
    Last edited by Preluva; 09-05-2012 at 11:49 PM.
    Developer

Global Posts
    4,353 Global Posts
    God, really?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    My Apps: PIP (WP8 - Compass / Flashlight), Beer Knurd (WP7/8)
    Meme 8 Ball (WP8), UnClocked (WP8.1 - Themed Live Tile Clock)
    Jazmac likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Folks just don't seem to be impressed do they?

The "article" is nothing but trash. He picks one of several features demonstrated today and then forms his argument around the idea that Nokia is banking on that feature.

Was I slightly underwhelmed? Yes. But I liked what I saw. Time will tell, not stupid articles, if Nokia is a success.
    ...When you judge someone you tell more about yourself than the person you are judging.
    palandri likes this.

Global Posts
    2,799 Global Posts
    You seem to be t-rolling but ill hold off on actually giving you that title. Stinch of death? No that'd be web os
    Nokia Lumia 1020/Blu Studio 5.0 LTE owner here...

I wouldn't say stench of death, of course not, but I hope to god this isn't all Nokia has planned. I mean really, an upgraded 900 as your flagship windows 8 phone? Theres gotta be more up their sleeve.
    Last edited by strictlystyles; 09-05-2012 at 11:12 PM.
    Banned

Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cckgz4 View Post
    You seem to be t-rolling but ill hold off on actually giving you that title. Stinch of death? No that'd be web os

Just because I don't agree with you does not mean I am trolling. I'm putting my thoughts out there, if you disagree then by all means share your opinions. If it's not just angry babbling I'll enjoy reading it and who knows, ya might give me something new to consider. Like the WebOS comment, I completely agree with you! Unless your a tech geek it's dead and in the box. TG's are the only ones who will be able to do something with it because average knuckle heads like me sure as heck won't!

I wouldn't say stench of death, of course not, but I hope to god this isn't all Nokia has planned. I mean really, an upgraded 900 as your flagship windows 8 phone? Theres gotta be more up their sleeve.
    My point is there's a lot of unhappy campers regarding today's announcement, when you combine that with Nokia's already saggy position AND Winphone's last place spot... Well you can see my point a little clearer I think.
    Developer

Fortunately, Nokia still included the USB port which will STILL charge their devices. So the wireless charging is optional.

But I somewhat agree with the article, it's an interesting feature. But not that interesting. When more devices include it as a de facto feature, yea then it will be nice.

Then the next question: How fast can it charge the device?
    Guz

iPhone 3G (broken)
    Blackberry 6320 (retired)
    Lumia 810 (current)
    Developer

Global Posts
    4,353 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Guzzler3 View Post
    Fortunately, Nokia still included the USB port which will STILL charge their devices. So the wireless charging is optional.

But I somewhat agree with the article, it's an interesting feature. But not that interesting. When more devices include it as a de facto feature, yea then it will be nice.

Then the next question: How fast can it charge the device?
    So, if android or iOS had it, you'd want it, but not till then? <slaps head> with the Pre, wireless was/is just as fast as wall charger.

And I should add, with Pre, once you used wireless charging, using cords becomes archaic. And yes I hate plugging in my 900. Still wirelessly charge my Pre2MP3 player.
    snowmutt, cckgz4 and speedtouch like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    So, if android or iOS had it, you'd want it, but not till then? <slaps head> with the Pre, wireless was/is just as fast as wall charger.
    LMAO! :lol:

And I should add, with Pre, once you used wireless charging, using cords becomes archaic. And yes I hate plugging in my 900. Still wirelessly charge my Pre2MP3 player.
    Actually several months ago I bought a touchstone & wireless charge back side for my Pre (I'm slow to adapt OK?) and while I like it, I don't use it as much as I thought I would. It doesn't work when I turn on MyTether and it gets really hot.

Global Posts
    2,799 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preluva View Post
    Just because I don't agree with you does not mean I am trolling. I'm putting my thoughts out there, if you disagree then by all means share your opinions. If it's not just angry babbling I'll enjoy reading it and who knows, ya might give me something new to consider. Like the WebOS comment, I completely agree with you! Unless your a tech geek it's dead and in the box. TG's are the only ones who will be able to do something with it because average knuckle heads like me sure as heck won't!

My point is there's a lot of unhappy campers regarding today's announcement, when you combine that with Nokia's already saggy position AND Winphone's last place spot... Well you can see my point a little clearer I think.
    But you're not expressing your opinion. You're spreading a negative news article which is based solely on an opinion. And a lot of your comments in previous topics represent the same attitude

There are a lot of VOCAL unhappy campers. In a lot of tech sites that I've visited, the commentors are mostly positive. The journalists are just being like they usually are and act like they don't have a mind of their own but the visitors have an overall great impression.

Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    Before the end of this decade, people will laugh at those who still use a cord to charge any of their devices, toys, appliances, everything. Charge pads will be in every home, office, business, restaurant, plane, train and automobile. I have been waiting nearly a decade for this technology to go mainstream. Can't wait to get it in my next Nokia.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
    Nokia Lumia 900 - OS: 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084
    HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502
    palandri and Laura Knotek like this.
    Developer

Global Posts
    4,353 Global Posts
    LMAO! :lol:

Actually several months ago I bought a touchstone & wireless charge back side for my Pre (I'm slow to adapt OK?) and while I like it, I don't use it as much as I thought I would. It doesn't work when I turn on MyTether and it gets really hot.
    Yeah, my tether would suck so much juice that the touchstone couldn't keep up. But I don't think plugging it in worked much better. I'd test it on mine, but don't have data service on it anymore. The pre would suck through juice when tethering over wifi.

Global Posts
    2,799 Global Posts
    Power mat anyone?

And to reply to the article,yes we know that the power charger alone won't move units. Any common person can see its about a brand, hence Nokia and their lumia line

This is like sating that a particular car model is doomed because people don't like that it has paddle shifters that could be used optionally.

Really?

Some of you guys are trying so hard to tear Nokia down. And often they're with arguments that make very little sense.

How about if you use more energy supporting something you like instead of trying to tear down something you dislike?
    Thanked by:
    wolf1891, cckgz4, sinime and 2 others like this.

Global Posts
    8,063 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Old_Cus View Post
    The "article" is nothing but trash. He picks one of several features demonstrated today and then forms his argument around the idea that Nokia is banking on that feature.
    This article was written on the 4th, before the announcements of the 5th.
    Thanked by:
    cckgz4 
    cckgz4 likes this.

Global Posts
    3,507 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    "Stench of death"??? Not a lot of grey area there. You were not impressed.

I loved my Pre. Miss WebOS a lot. Makes me a little more sensitive to the future of WP, because I do not want to settle for second best for me in an OS, which would be Android. I lived through the death of one OS already. So I feel your apprehension.

But wireless charging was only about 4 or 5 minutes of an hour and 15 minute presentation. It is a feature, not the base of their selling point. They were way more proud of their camera, their Nokia maps and streaming services, and their handset manufacturing. These will be what they try to sell, along with WP 8 and it's improvements.

I am a little concerned. I truly am. But why are we kicking Nokia, when we know how great their products are? Shouldn't they have built some good will with us in the WP community?
    A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Global Posts
    864 Global Posts
    Folks just don't seem to be impressed do they?
    did you bother to read the comments? ya know the "folks" lol
    Thanked by:
    cckgz4 
    cckgz4 likes this.

Here's some irony. When I last switched phones, I said something to the effect of "if this phone could do Qi, I'd be keeping it..."

Is wireless charging going to change someone's mind about a phone? Maybe not, but when you add that to a list of pretty cool features, then maybe. For me, for example, I had planned to get an iPhone 5 (in addition to a Lumia), but the lack of NFC has completely convinced me otherwise. On the other hand, I had considered getting the Samsung ATIV, but the Lumia Pureview and wireless charging has also completely convinced me otherwise.

It's not one feature that sells a phone; it's the whole kit-and-caboodle.
    snowmutt and Old_Cus like this.

Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    iPhone 4S to iPhone 4

8 MP - 5 MP
    Siri - No Siri
    Dual core - Single Core

Not that big of a change, people still went crazy over it. Pretty sure people who are crazy about their Lumias are going to buy the new one as well. This is our 4S, I love it! Those Low Light pictures are beyond awesome, that stability feature as well. People will buy, and people will love, I could be wrong. Either way companies are all about gimmicks, look at Siri! No one hardly uses it, only to impress their friends by talking smack to it.

Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I lolled a bit when I read the article. You have too take up space to your charging pad 24/7? Seriously, who doesn't have place for that somewhere? I mean come on, if you look for problems you'll always find them. Right now, I have a wire for my Lumia 800 lying on my table. That takes up space as well lol...

And you have to buy a new one if you want to charge some place else? What about bringing the one you've got? I mean, it's not like its nailed to the table (of which you apparently haven't got too many since you don't have room for the charger...). 1. Pack it down. 2. Pack it out and charge.

Two dumbest reasons ever why wireless charging is a problem. I mean come on, Apple uses specialized cables all the time, why aren't people irritated by that?

Global Posts
    2,799 Global Posts
    I don't think the op even read the article

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    This article was written on the 4th, before the announcements of the 5th.
    Then I guess he jumped the gun....his bad.
    ...When you judge someone you tell more about yourself than the person you are judging.

Global Posts
    1,448 Global Posts
    Siri was on iPhone 4, it just became apple subsidiary and deeply integrated in the 4s.

So many people are not happy with apple's proprietary plugs but have just learned to accept it since its apple and they do whatever they want.

I had a free one of those Duracell charging mats when they came out. Only drawback was the horrible attachment needed to work with my iPhone so I discontinued use and tossed it in the trash.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,526 Global Posts
    I will say the 920 is a disappointing phone when I actually see what the Ativ can do. As far as I can tell at this time we haven't seen anything showing the capabilities of the Ativ as we have with the 920, so it seems a bit unfair to bash Nokia at this time. If in the future Samsung shows everything the Ativ can do and it is much better than the 920, bash away.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast