OS feels unfinished...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikkoaa

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I'm Mikko and I live in Finland. I've been Nokia user for plenty of years when they used to make good old phones. Now I'm currently Android user and I got also some experience with iPhone OS.

I'm curious about all new updates coming for each operating system and I'd like to test them all out and so on, but the OS Microsoft offers to Nokia phones just looks so... "unplanned" if I may use the expression.

The virtual keyboard has blocky corners on every key, feels like it has been coded on 1 day and left like that forever to be. Why not make it more stylish like on the other OS'ses?

When I look the homescreen where all the lifetiles are, the tiles Microsoft offers appear so boring. For example Message Tile, even still being very informative, doesn't offer a pleasing sight for the customers. Same thing with plenty of other tiles, also the ones offered by Nokia. I would greatly advice as customer to change them for more eye pleasing without taking away the easy to read aspect of course.

And not only that but why is there no border rounding in lifetiles? I would hardly effect the performance. If you look at OS'ses like Android or iOS you can see every icon has it's rounded up corners. The WP8 tiles feel like they never been even tried to give some thought.

Now it comes to my last thought of this system.

Why is that every command in WP8 OS starts with small letter? If you look at Android, there's commands like Settings, Search, Add Icon, Create Folder and so on. Every command in tools has been typed capital letters. I don't see any reason for Microsoft to not go along with this style. It's clearly more appealing to customers to have it that way, this is supposed to be OS for people, not robots.

Are the Chief executive officers of Microsoft and Nokia even aware that every people that look their platform feel like this and if they are, are there going to be any plans to change appearance of the OS? Why are you not doing anything to please your customers? You know that each of the successful OS, including the old Symbian(which Stephen Elop shot down) has this one thought out.

It just feels like Microsoft doesn't care about customers and they are just counting the money. Please do some CHANGE on the SYSTEM. It can't be so slow process! You're Microsoft goddamn. Look at Windows 7! It's incredibly well made system! Look at old XP. Start on bottom bar. Settings on big starting letters. Icons with transparent color. Changeable background!

Why are you moving towards "crossword" OS with hardly any thought on style? The look in your old Windows Mobile even had better appearance and it sold better! What are the chiefs thinking in their offices? Are you just preparing for apocalypse or something? You have the power to direct your OS! :mad:

Current state of OS is so unpleasant that even the fluidity of system doesn't please enough to actually give any thought to actually consider a Windows Phone.

I hope this message gave some thought and changed couple of opinions.

-Mikko

Last edited:

drg

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Love it the way it is. But you can have your opinion.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

mikkoaa

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Love it the way it is.
I doesn't matter if 1% of smartphone users think Windows Phone is great. The rest of the people who don't like it are going to be the ones to skip Windows Phones for certain.

If Microsoft doesn't start to appeal for wider audience in both WP and Windows in both STYLE they're going to lose their markets to iPhones and Macs and Android devices.

PS.
And to ones programming this site, order comments based on post_ID not time posted, since it appears you can't calculate it correctly...

Last edited:

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Windows phone is very deliberately styled differently to other phone os's, and has won many design awards for its style.

Different doesn't always mean better, but you just need to look round sites like this one, to see WP gets huge amounts of love from some people.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

mikkoaa

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Windows phone is very deliberately styled differently to other phone os's, and has won many design awards for its style.
?Jury Announced Windows Phone 7 as the ?refreshing ? OS of the year 2011. Because it doesn?t copy any thing from other operating system and has a large number of developer and maintenance team.?

?Jury also noticed that is has Innovative and adoptable interface with more success to come.?

Yes, it has won "originality" award by being completely new experience. It doesn't mean it has won design or user friendliness awards. The 1% market share talks by itself. The OS has to have something wrong if so many people are avoiding it.

When Android came, it was basically enhanced Symbian experience, look how popular it came! Originality is good but don't forget you're trying to impress customers, not robots. Take some example of other operating systems and how they act. The style of buttons when writing in any Android(even native) phone virtual keyboard is way better than current Windows Phones. I don't think anyone would doubt that. Even best keyboards in real world have rounded corners. Squares are thing of the past.

And when it comes to corners in lifetiles, there's really no reason to put text anyway that close to corners of lifetile, making rounding up really not big of a negative thing for even those who would not like the change.

Making original is ok but making ugly is not.

I know rounding corners will probably increase the processing power needed and thus reducing performance and battery life, but most people like me don't like stone age tiles.

Even in Windows we used to have ability to alter PC so we can decide to use transparent texts in icons and have extra effects like when dragging open folders. This is what WindowsPhone needs at least...

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
There are a couple of reasons why the OS hasn't taken off yet. Humans are creatures of habit. They are used to icons and the way other smartphones operate. Some don't think for themselves so they let the store associate that knows half of the story think for them. And this iteration of specs are lowly, but WP8 will change some of that. Also advertising for WP sucks these days. Watch, when windows 8 comes out, and people get more used to the idea of having tiles, they will get the idea of WP devices. Plus there are people who simply dislike anything Microsoft other than Xbox. There are a plethora of bad reasons why people aren't as interested in WP devices. The one glaring good reason they should hate WP are the lack of official apps.
Also, you seem a bit like a hater my man. Just saying. But you are entitled to your own opinion.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

oblivman

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I'm Mikko and I live in Finland. I've been Nokia user for plenty of years when they used to make good old phones. Now I'm currently Android user and I got also some experience with iPhone OS.

I'm curious about all new updates coming for each operating system and I'd like to test them all out and so on, but the OS Microsoft offers to Nokia phones just looks so... "unplanned" if I may use the expression.

The virtual keyboard has blocky corners on every key, feels like it has been coded on 1 day and left like that forever to be. Why not make it more stylish like on the other OS'ses?

When I look the homescreen where all the lifetiles are, the tiles Microsoft offers appear so boring. For example Message Tile, even still being very informative, doesn't offer a pleasing sight for the customers. Same thing with plenty of other tiles, also the ones offered by Nokia. I would greatly advice as customer to change them for more eye pleasing without taking away the easy to read aspect of course.

And not only that but why is there no border rounding in lifetiles? I would hardly effect the performance. If you look at OS'ses like Android or iOS you can see every icon has it's rounded up corners. The WP8 tiles feel like they never been even tried to give some thought.

Now it comes to my last thought of this system.

Why is that every command in WP8 OS starts with small letter? If you look at Android, there's commands like Settings, Search, Add Icon, Create Folder and so on. Every command in tools has been typed with BIG first starting letter. I don't see any reason for Microsoft to not go with this style. It's clearly more appealing to customers to have commands starting with big letters, this is supposed to be OS for people, not robots.

Are the Chief executive officers of Microsoft and Nokia even aware that every people that look their platform feel like this and if they are, are there going to be any plans to change appearance of the OS? Why are you not doing anything to please your customers? You know that each of the successful OS, including the old Symbian(which Stephen Elop shot down) has this one thought out.

It just feels like Microsoft doesn't care about customers and they are just counting the money. Please do some CHANGE on the SYSTEM. It can't be so slow process! You're Microsoft goddamn. Look at Windows 7! It's incredibly well made system! Look at old XP. Start on bottom bar. Settings on big starting letters. Icons with transparent color. Changeable background!

Why are you moving towards "crossword" OS with hardly any thought on style? The look in your old Windows Mobile even had better appearance and it sold better! What are the chiefs thinking in their offices? Are you just preparing for apocalypse or something? You have the power to direct your OS! :mad:

Current state of OS is so unpleasant that even the fluidity of system doesn't please enough to actually give any thought to actually consider a Windows Phone.

I hope this message gave some thought and changed couple of opinions.

-Mikko

Everything you have complained about are visual components of the Metro design language, and I disagree with pretty much everything you have said. Android is beyond ugly, and iOS is much cleaner but boring.

Also, Windows XP is a garbage OS so it really shouldn't be used as evidence of anything.

mikkoaa

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
There are a couple of reasons why the OS hasn't taken off yet. Humans are creatures of habit. They are used to icons and the way other smartphones operate. Some don't think for themselves so they let the store associate that knows half of the story think for them. And this iteration of specs are lowly, but WP8 will change some of that. Also advertising for WP sucks these days. Watch, when windows 8 comes out, and people get more used to the idea of having tiles, they will get the idea of WP devices. Plus there are people who simply dislike anything Microsoft other than Xbox. There are a plethora of bad reasons why people aren't as interested in WP devices. The one glaring good reason they should hate WP are the lack of official apps.
Also, you seem a bit like a hater my man. Just saying. But you are entitled to your own opinion.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express
My friend, you are correct in 2 spots.

1. The advertising sucks. This is just fact. Only adverts I have seen are basically posters of blocks in where phone sits on one of them. I couldn't imagine anything selling with that kind of idea in PC world. On the other part is the boring looking homescreen with hardly any lifetiles using pictures or moving image or anything cool. Just bland blue/white icons don't raise too much passion to have device.

2. There are plenty of people who just hate Windows in general, however they are minority. Most of people still use Windows as their PC operating system. I love Windows XP and 7. I've also tested the phones and I enjoy the ideas and possiblities it brings. Sadly I also must say even the idea is good the way of performing the idea doesn't give much credit.

I think you're wrong when you say people are used to certain things. That's not true. The reason why people don't like WP is it's just not cool. Using WP doesn't cause envy amongst the phone users. Watching someone browse the homescreen doesn't give any interest.

I know it's more efficient and maybe easier to read the tiles when there's so much less annoyance around the tiles such as wallpapers, especially life wallpapers. But I don't think anyone would like to prefer excel as way of presenting business information instead of power point. Even there may be disturbing pictures on the top like a dollar paper or something similar, it still makes it enjoyable to watch the whole image rather than boring looking wall of text with more information.

The lack of apps is near same as with the Android ICS devices. I've used my S3 for like 2 months now or something and I can't find any interesting games in market, aside from Amazing Alex, Asphalt 7 and Angry Birds, maybe Worms. That's pretty much it. In IOS you got TONS of quality games. Still, Samsung Galaxy S3 has sold over 20 millions so far. That's 7 times more than all the Windows Phones in total.

It's not the market, not the haters, not tradition. Marketing and just the whole image of WindowsPhone OS is made distubingly bad.

Don't get me wrong. I want to have Windows Phone. I would switch Samsung Galaxy S3 that I own to Lumia 920, if the points I pointed would have gotten fixed by the time the model arrives in Finland.

Last edited:

oblivman

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
After reading this again closer, it just has to be a troll thread. Windows Mobile looks better than Windows Phone in your opinion? I don't even...:straight:

mikkoaa

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Everything you have complained about are visual components of the Metro design language, and I disagree with pretty much everything you have said. Android is beyond ugly, and iOS is much cleaner but boring.
Even the first char being small in lot of commands? Take a look at the unlock screen. Big letters Thursday and November. Maybe they should change them to small ones too?

Also, Windows XP is a garbage OS so it really shouldn't be used as evidence of anything.
Well I have to disagree with that.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Proper nouns are capitalized. General words are not. That is the style language and just about every DEV understands that.

XP worked well, but looks like it was designed in 2000. Oh, wait, it was.

The winmo6.5 looks like android. You obviously like that UI so why not go get an android? Most here do not like android which is why they are here.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Its pretty obvious to why windows isn't selling so lets not start that up

And as far as your opinions about it, that may be how you see it, but doesn't mean it's right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon