Will WP7.8 bring anything other than the start screen? Microsoft says yes!

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft confirms Windows Phone 7.8 to have more than just the new Start screen - Neowin

Today at Tech Ed in New Zealand, Microsoft confirmed that Windows Phone 7.8, the soon to be announced update to existing Windows Phone handsets, will be including more than just the new Windows Phone 8 Start screen, and that it will indeed include new features.

Obviously, Microsoft wouldn't say what those features are, but it's great to know the platform will get more than just the bare minimum. They did say that past Windows Phone 7.8, the OEM's are going to provide their own updates that enhance the experience even further, and that the platform won't be abandoned entirely.

More news on the update is expected to come in the next month or so, as Windows Phone 8 is released to the public.

Retro_uk

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
On a slightly separate note, I'm pleased Nokia mentioned that a lot of the photo stuff they were showing off would also get versions for existing phones. I was worried I would be getting completely left behind, but it seems not :)

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm still withholding judgement until it's released. I love my L900 with tango as it is so anything additional is just icing on the cake but I have this feeling I can't shake that 7.8 was an afterthought.

Time will tell.

M

mkr10001

Am i the only one who saw this coming...?

Was it not a complete no brainer that we would get more than just the new start screen!??!

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I call shenanigans... if Neowin's assumption is the slide they posted, then there's not even grounds for the idea. I am really not expecting much, although I reserve the right to proudly be wrong.

Actually, they did say on Wednesday that the Lumia 900 would get Lenses functionality, so it's not entirely hard to fathom some other features.

M

mkr10001

Well, to be fair you have to ask, was it always going to happen or did it happen because 33,000 people voted on the uservoice website?

Was always going to happen. Obviously we won't get alllllllll the new features and we probably won't get as many as we should or could have BUT anyone who thought all we were getting was JUST the new start screen is silly

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Was always going to happen. Obviously we won't get alllllllll the new features and we probably won't get as many as we should or could have BUT anyone who thought all we were getting was JUST the new start screen is silly

I don't know, I think it's a toss up unless we know when the decision was made.

adityadhunna

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft confirms Windows Phone 7.8 to have more than just the new Start screen - Neowin

Today at Tech Ed in New Zealand, Microsoft confirmed that Windows Phone 7.8, the soon to be announced update to existing Windows Phone handsets, will be including more than just the new Windows Phone 8 Start screen, and that it will indeed include new features.

Obviously, Microsoft wouldn't say what those features are, but it's great to know the platform will get more than just the bare minimum. They did say that past Windows Phone 7.8, the OEM's are going to provide their own updates that enhance the experience even further, and that the platform won't be abandoned entirely.

More news on the update is expected to come in the next month or so, as Windows Phone 8 is released to the public.
what is the source of this information?
can you cite the sources?

Also a member of the Windows Phone team has posted on their User Voice page asking for suggestions for exactly which features WP 7.5 users want on Windows Phone 8.
for more information..go here http://forums.windowscentral.com/os-discussion/197036.htm

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise