Maximum 420 chars (for a Facebook status with wp7)

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey folks,

I have a question for you. Looked for similar Threads, but didn't find any. If I was blind and missed anything, I would appriciate it, if you could show me the threads dealing with my issue :)

So I am using my HTC Arrive for 1 year now and really love it. Yesterday I finally wanted to try the facebook integration with the wp7 OS (syncing the facebook contacts and using that for updating and chatting on facebook with the "peoples" hub, not(!) the official App). I have to admit that I really love this option (didn't have facebook, so couldn't try it before).

After a few hours I realized something: all of my posts (posted with my arrive) on the walls from my friends are being cut after the first 420 chars. I am not sure, but is that normal on facebook, or does that only happen if you are using the wp7 os-version of facebook? I didn't have that problem using facebook on my pc. Can one somehow change the number of allowed chars?

Thanks a lot!

ps: I am using wp7.5 on my Arrive

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
come on guys,

I am sure a lot of wp7-users actually use the FB-integration on their phones. So I can't believe that none of you can give me an answer :(

I remember having the 420-char-max limitation on Facebook a while ago. But after some updates it was gone (One can post longer status updates now). So I'm pretty sure that this limitation does not come from facebook but from wp itself.

But I can not imagine MS having some kind of a limit like that without informing the user. Something like "you used more than 420 characters for your status update. Please delete some for posting it" would be very nice...

So all in all: i think that's some kind of a bug... would be really awesome if someone could confirm that. Or at least: if you know for sure, that you are able to type in and send (!) more than 420chars (without your status being cut after the 420 chars) using the wp7-built-in-Facebook, please tell me :)

Thanks once again

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I never saw this thread to respond.

I just did a test and can confirm to have the issue as well. I don't know if it's a "bug" or perhaps just an API limitation, but it's not just you.

You might try using the Facebook app to see if it works, but honestly, my recommendation when mobile is keep it simple...

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I never saw this thread to respond.

I just did a test and can confirm to have the issue as well. I don't know if it's a "bug" or perhaps just an API limitation, but it's not just you.

You might try using the Facebook app to see if it works, but honestly, my recommendation when mobile is keep it simple...
hey GoodThings :)

Thanks for answering and trying it out for me! I guess you're right and I have to "keep it simple" then :)

But all in all: nice to know that I'm not the only one having this "issue". Normally I keep it short, but that one time my update was cut in a bad way: The "nah...just kidding" part after a small joke never made it to my girlfriend... :)

Greetings
Gerg

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Didn't Facebook use to limit people to 420 character status messages, then they changed it?

I guess Microsoft didn't update it to reflect that change.

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Didn't Facebook use to limit people to 420 character status messages, then they changed it?

I guess Microsoft didn't update it to reflect that change.

Heya, jap that's how it was. I think you have a point here. Maybe MS will finally change it with the 7.8 update....we will see.

Thanks for helping me here, guys :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss