Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    So, does anyone know when WP 7.8 is going to be released? I have the Nokia 900, and cannot wait to have 7.8 running.

Thanks!

;)

There's been no official release date but conventional wisdom is we won't get it until WP8 is released. I'm guessing the end of the year.
    ...When you judge someone you tell more about yourself than the person you are judging.

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Thanks for the responses. I agree it will probably be around 1st week Nov perhaps then.

This year seems to have flown by so fast.... but with the wait for WP8 and 7.8, time seems to have slowed down somewhat. :dry:blush:
  4. cgk

Global Posts
    7,830 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zunemd View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I agree it will probably be around 1st week Nov perhaps then.

This year seems to have flown by so fast.... but with the wait for WP8 and 7.8, time seems to have slowed down somewhat. :dry:blush:
    Surely will hold back in an attempt to get people more eager to upgrade?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    455 Global Posts
    I am guessing Q12013 based on what we know.

Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    I'll take the delay if it means a good amount of extended functionality.

I just wonder how they'll market 7.8 phones.

I believeit would be in Microsoft best interest to release 7.8 prior to the in store date of Iphone5.

Reason: It will hold back anyone currently using a Windows Phone from potentially jumping over to the Iphone 5.

I wish it will come out in November. Or I will buy Nokia Lumia 920

Quote Originally Posted by boomxz View Post
    I wish it will come out in November. Or I will buy Nokia Lumia 920
    See! That's exactly why wp7.8 will come after(!) the new phone releases :)
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSean490 View Post
    I'll take the delay if it means a good amount of extended functionality.

I just wonder how they'll market 7.8 phones.
    I don't think they will.

I don't see any indication that 7.8 is meant to be anything other than an update to placate existing customers. They might sell new, low-cost models that come with 7.8 in other markets outside the U.S. but I seriously doubt you are are going to see that here.

All new Windows Phones, other than exisiting stock of 7.5 phones, are going to be WP8 I'm sure. There would be no point in marketing 7.8, it's only of interest to people who have already bought their phones and it would only confuse new customers.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tajones64 View Post
    I believeit would be in Microsoft best interest to release 7.8 prior to the in store date of Iphone5.

Reason: It will hold back anyone currently using a Windows Phone from potentially jumping over to the Iphone 5.

It's a tough call. It could have that effect, but it could also have the effect of cooling off sales of new WP8 devices, which would be disasterous, especially for Nokia.

Even though I have a Lumia 900, I would still say it would be smart for Microsoft to make us wait just a little longer. If they release 7.8 too soon, or draw attention to it, it will steal some of WP8's thunder and that is something they definitely can't afford.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    the Most we know is that:

WP7.8 Will be release Some time after WP8
    AT&T internal document reveals Windows Phone 7.8 coming after Windows Phone 8 launch | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews

gona depend on features MS decides to add.
    If your looking for Information, be sure to check out: WindowsPhone: Getting started!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If one of our Members helps you, be sure to THANK him or her!

Thanked by:
    articandy97 likes this.

i'm not expecting it before Q1 2013
    I wouldn't expect it before Q22013, maybe even later, I bet not all devices will be released at the same time.

I have 359 messages on my Lumia 900 which need to be erased one by one (which requires three finger presses each). That kinda makes 7.8 a little more crucial for some of us. It's incredible this functionality has not been addressed yet. I have Nokia and MS stock, just so you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by chillwater View Post
    I have 359 messages on my Lumia 900 which need to be erased one by one (which requires three finger presses each). That kinda makes 7.8 a little more crucial for some of us. It's incredible this functionality has not been addressed yet. I have Nokia and MS stock, just so you know.
    why a 3 finger press, you just click on the far left of the email and the boxes show up, then you can click each one by one.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,474 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rdubmu View Post
    why a 3 finger press, you just click on the far left of the email and the boxes show up, then you can click each one by one.
    I think he was referring to text/facebook messages.

Also, I am not expecting 7.8 before 2020.

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
    rdubmu likes this.

Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    I'm seeing confirmation on WP8, but it seems us WP7.5 users are getting the cold shoulder.
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr
    Developer

Global Posts
    4,353 Global Posts
    Might get more info Oct. 29... At the WP8 press release.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    My Apps: PIP (WP8 - Compass / Flashlight), Beer Knurd (WP7/8)
    Meme 8 Ball (WP8), UnClocked (WP8.1 - Themed Live Tile Clock)

Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    Might be Jan. 13 2013.
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr
    Developer

I still think it's in Microsoft's interest to get people updated quickly. Getting everyone (existing users and new) showing off the new start screen becomes advertising for Microsoft of both WP8 and their new Windows 8. If they have thousands of devices still running an older version of their windows 8 UI vision in 2013 (i.e. the current wp7 start screen) it would be detrimental to their marketing and the success of their other devices (not just phones). As Microsoft said themselves:

"The new Start screen is so useful and emblematic of what Windows Phone is about that we want everybody to enjoy it.".

They're trying to sell a vision of a common UI (and tight integration) across tablets/pcs/phones - which is why I think they'll be in a hurry of sorts to ensure existing devices show the new UI too.

It will show they care about existing users by giving them new features, probably make wp7.8 -> windows 8 integration tighter, but whilst knowing there are still enough differences wp7.8 to wp8 to tempt those existing users to upgrade to WP8. They may also believe it will tempt more people towards Win8 tablets when they come out.

There's recently been a few sightings of e.g. Nokia having a 520 with 7.8 which means they have it ready - and we've all seen the leaked 7.8 roms.

So if it's ready, and in Microsoft's interest to get the new UI out there, then they'll be getting it to operators at the same time as the WP8 launch - which means it will probably get out to users about 4 weeks later once the operators get their act in order. So (I hope) late November.
    Developer of the live-tiled and multi-league football app Premier Leagues +
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SSK the Gr8 View Post
    i'm not expecting it before Q1 2013
    Agreed.

That sounds about right.

I'll be delighted if it comes out in time for Christmas, but I am NOT expecting that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by chillwater View Post
    On the messages screen which shows up all the threads, you can hold down on a particular person's message thread and delete all at once.
    Just trying to help.
    palandri and articandy97 like this.

Heyy...happy US Cellular HTC Arrive user here. Just curious: will the proclaimed hit apps on android and iOS 'draw something and 'words with friends be coming with the new and highly awaited 'WP update 7.8'??? I am currently running WP 7.5, and am patiently waiting in line for the 7.8 update for my Arrive, and would really like to be able to use those apps. My mom has an iPad, and i had an iPhone, and we used to play that all the time. but i decided to go windows for a while. And so far: hating it. Straight up, when is this 7.8 update coming, and will i get to play these *awsome* apps that even android managed to get on their marketplace?????? I mean, I know I'm not the only one, am I???:dry
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast