how can I really turn my phone off?

DeanBlakely

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I turn my samsung focus phone off by holding down the lock button until my wallpaper shows halfway and it says slide down to turn off. Then the operating system says "Goodbye". So, I think my phone is off. Hmmm.. not so. If someone sends me, say, a text message the phone beeps, wakes up and turns itself on.

Everyone at the funeral thought I was inconsiderate. Is there a setting somewhere to "really" turn the phone off?
Thanks,
Dean

happynoodleboy

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
That's strange. I don't have a focus but I guess if your phone is doing that you could always just take the battery out. Not the best solution but if the phone still receives texts and calls after removing the battery then I would have to say it is possessed.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I turn my samsung focus phone off by holding down the lock button until my wallpaper shows halfway and it says slide down to turn off. Then the operating system says "Goodbye". So, I think my phone is off. Hmmm.. not so. If someone sends me, say, a text message the phone beeps, wakes up and turns itself on.

Everyone at the funeral thought I was inconsiderate. Is there a setting somewhere to "really" turn the phone off?
Thanks,
Dean

Wow! I never heard of that problem before. I am going to try it on mine right now. What's your Windows Phone version number? 8107? 8773? Something else?

Update: Just tried it on my Lumia 710 running 8773 and it did not wake up when I sent the text from my wife's phone. It got the text when I manually powered up the phone...as it should.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site

Thanks,
Dean
Do you have the device plugged in when you're turning it off?

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
YES, it was plugged in! (I was kidding about the funeral)

Is that expected behavoir?
Yup. It's normal. With the Lumia, you'd have to have it plugged in to turn it off. It doesn't charge, so there is no point in doing it. It actually acts pretty weird when you do it.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
bad design, I think. I wonder if this can be turned off somehow? The thing lays there beeping all night. I need to keep it pluged in so it will be charged in the morning.
Dean

You do realize you can put it into Airplane Mode at night to prevent it from receiving any texts, calls, emails, etc.?

mdameron

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
You do realize you can put it into Airplane Mode at night to prevent it from receiving any texts, calls, emails, etc.?

Because THAT'S easier than just turning it off.

The solution the OP needs to adopt is to hit Settings -> Ringtones and Sounds, and then turn off both options there. This is pure silent. This way your phone still downloads anything you have it set up to download and won't wake you up. Your alarms will still go off and be loud and proud, though.

It needs to be easier in WP8 to both go pure silent and go into airplane mode.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The reason the phone is on during charging is for power management. It keeps the battery from over charging, extending the operating lifetime of the battery itself.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb