Is IE on Wp7.5 really this bad?

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
So I am getting ready to update from my iPhone 3gs that I've had for three years. I've been checking out my wife's HTC Trophy to get a better feel for Windows Phone. Overall, I like the OS, but I must say that IE is absolutely horrible compared to Safari on the iPhone. Is it better on other phones? or is this what I should expect from IE on all Windows Phones?

Kredrian

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I really can't say, as I think Safari on my old iPhone was nothing special, and the IE in WP, while not spectacular is passable

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure that I'd even call it passable. When you try to view the mobile version of a website, you get identified as a blackberry device and get a totally hobbled version of the site. When you try to view the desktop version of a website, it totally bogs down the phone. Either way, you lose the ability to view and make comments on most platforms like disqus, etc.

When I asked my wife, "is it always that bad" her answer was "that's why I'm not always using my phone like you are." Really? The best thing she had to say about IE on her phone was that it was so bad that it keeps her from using it too much?

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
I believe the Trophy is similar to the Arrive, which I had. My Arrive was a good little phone but it did bog down from time to time with browsing and other memory intensive apps. Switching to the Lumia 900 I no longer have those issues. The bump in memory and processor speed made a big difference. So it depends on the phone you are getting. :)

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I've been holding out for WP8 and the both the 920 and the Ativ look pretty nice. I know that improved hardware will help a lot, but it seems that even with improved hardware, IE on WP has some real compatibility issues with the modern web.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, no experience with Safari, but don't recall my Surround or L900 bogging down while using IE. And I post regularly to WMPU and other sites using Diskus, without any issues. True, some sites don't render properly. But that's because lazy developers have optimized their mobile sites for iPhone, and then went back to sleep. Might take another 6-12 months, but their alarm clocks are going to be ringing soon.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
IE 9 Mobile and Mobile Safari tend to bog down differently under stress.

Large pages tend to crash Safari outright, while on IE 9, they tend to make it run much more slowly. Pick your poison.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Not at all, reason why some mobile sites display that way is because the web developers are coding against it and only with iOS and Android in mind. If sites were coded properly than those issues would be nonexistent. Desktop sites display and render no differently than they do on a PC. If there are lag/crash problems its usually because the site is badly coded and will even cause the same problems on a PC.

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
So I decided to take the plunge on the 920 and I am happy to report that IE10 on my new phone is not only better than both IE9 on the Trophy, but it also blows away safari on the 3gs. My new phone has replaced my laptop for most casual browsing. I'm very pleased!

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
So I decided to take the plunge on the 920 and I am happy to report that IE10 on my new phone is not only better than both IE9 on the Trophy, but it also blows away safari on the 3gs. My new phone has replaced my laptop for most casual browsing. I'm very pleased!

Glad to see you come back. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234