Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,474 Global Posts
    Well it's actually very important to me now as my mum has said until I get a job I'm stuck with my TITAN (that means no signing 18/24 month contracts either), so if it takes me 5 years to get a job, I got another 5 years left with my TITAN. Before anyone says move out... that's a surefire way to kill me as I can't look after myself properly.

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."

Global Posts
    2,571 Global Posts
    well at least you admit that freely.
    For me it really doesn't matter, all functionality works the same besides a new start screen. Unfortunately I signed a contract and have to wait until November 2013 to get a new phone at the discounted price. it also gives me another year to just see what apple does with the next iphone (assuming it will be the 5s) or iphone 7 or whatever it will be called, also to see what is in store for WP9 if they do a yearly update. The biggest thing for me is if WP8 will not be upgradable to WP9 and it is November 2013, This will greatly effect me as for my next upgrade.

If it is just a new start screen, then it isn't a big deal. If my phone doesn't get WP 7.8 by January, will also be a big deal as it tells me they aren't serious about previous customers since I am a returning customer (HTC HD7 then my Titan 2)

Global Posts
    2,633 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paladinleeds View Post
    Well it's actually very important to me now as my mum has said until I get a job I'm stuck with my TITAN (that means no signing 18/24 month contracts either), so if it takes me 5 years to get a job, I got another 5 years left with my TITAN. Before anyone says move out... that's a surefire way to kill me as I can't look after myself properly.
    Jeez, my retirement plans just took a dump if you're going to be the future. I'll have to work 'til I die AND keep my Quantum.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,474 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    Jeez, my retirement plans just took a dump if you're going to be the future. I'll have to work 'til I die AND keep my Quantum.
    Well fortunately I am enquiring about support to ensure that I can learn to fully look after myself and I am looking for work. I suggested selling my phone and tablet and buying a phone from the pound shop but was told I wouldn't get enough money so may as well keep what I got.

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."

Not a big deal to me, im planning on getting the Nokia Lumia 920 on Verizon as soon as i can im already looking past my current HTC Trophy

Everybody is going to get 7.8 direct. Carriers have no say over it.

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SSK the Gr8 View Post
    Everybody is going to get 7.8 direct. Carriers have no say over it.
    This would be awesome... but how do you know this for a fact?

My contract isn't up till June, but if my Titan is still working (and gets 7.8 quickly), I may wait even longer. Titan, even with its faults, has been my best smart phone (out of 2 total, heh). Not going HTC again though, due to its faults.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Obi Juan View Post
    This would be awesome... but how do you know this for a fact?

My contract isn't up till June, but if my Titan is still working (and gets 7.8 quickly), I may wait even longer. Titan, even with its faults, has been my best smart phone (out of 2 total, heh). Not going HTC again though, due to its faults.

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/...preview-143476

Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    I want 7.8. I bought my Titan this year, so I can't really justify replacing it just yet, especially as a student. If I didn't get it, I'd probably lose a bit of faith in the WP platform.
    Life couldn't get better, this could be the best day ever.
    HTC Titan

Global Posts
    1,455 Global Posts
    If they can force 7.8 to all windows 7.5 phones, why cant they force tango? I just cannot understand that at all. Tango is available. Use the same method they say they will use to get 7.8 to all 7.5 phones for Tango. Stop giving your supporters the damn PR babble.

actually 7.8 is very important for me. The smaller tiles for apps such as IE , which don't have a live tile would be good. It would save space, increase usability of the start screen. Less scrolling.

Global Posts
    2,799 Global Posts
    As long as I get it....
    Nokia Lumia 1020/Blu Studio 5.0 LTE owner here...

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    I just picked up a Nokia 610 off contract (my first Windows phone, and the second one in our household - it was so cheap!). Since it works so much better than my close to two year old BB Torch (even with the tiny amount of RAM), I won't be grabbing a WP8 phone for at least a few months (need to wait until the current Torch contract is over). The 7.8 update will be nice - but the 7.5 update is working very well for me.:)
    Developer

Global Posts
    4,361 Global Posts
    I'm curious, in the past, have there always been hacked custom roms pop up for the updates as we are seeing for 7.8? If so, is there a rough relation where once custom roms pop up, the true update pops up x days/weeks later?

I realize there is no official link from MS, but it would seem MS would be releasing an SDK, from which hacked roms spawn (?), and it would be a milestone toward the release?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    My Apps: PIP (WP8 - Compass / Flashlight), Beer Knurd (WP7/8)
    Meme 8 Ball (WP8), UnClocked (WP8.1 - Themed Live Tile Clock)

Global Posts
    2,571 Global Posts
    stop quoting that stupid article. Joe Belfiore never said that and Microsoft has never said that. That article is speculative. 7.x updates still operate under the same carrier contract as 7.0, ****ty carriers have the say over when they can push updates and Microsoft has never used the clause about carriers only able to skip one update. In fact it has been proven with 8107 and Tango that this clause has no teeth.

Not all that important really, my phone does everything that I want it to do now. Sure, the update will make it better, but in my eyes, my Lumia 710 is already a beast.

Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    The 7.8 update is very important to me. Actually, the update is one of the primary reasons I'm not buying a WP8 device. That and I don't at all have the money to buy my second smartphone in 8 months. Plus I usually keep my phones for at least 2 years before getting a new one and this time is no difference.

The new hardware is cool and I'm very excited about it but my Lumia 800 is probably the best phone I have ever had and it's just to soon to get a new one already. The phone is simply too good for that. ;) I'm very pleased that I'll get the WP8 start screen to my phone in WP7.8. That is the most important thing. Other than that I'm not really missing anything so it's a keeper for now. Wireless charging, NFC and all the will come later. :)

Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
    stop quoting that stupid article. Joe Belfiore never said that and Microsoft has never said that. That article is speculative. 7.x updates still operate under the same carrier contract as 7.0, ****ty carriers have the say over when they can push updates and Microsoft has never used the clause about carriers only able to skip one update. In fact it has been proven with 8107 and Tango that this clause has no teeth.
    well then its really sad for you'll.
    You'll should get off the stupid contracts cause you end up paying more.
    I am not on a contract. I've got all the updates till now and I'll surely get 7.8.

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeeemm View Post
    Will you wait for it? Who cares, im getting a WP8? If you dont get it soon will it impact your decision on getting a WP8?

For me personally if I dont get it soon I will consider getting something else, I love my Samsung focus but those little issues like the disappearing keyboard and no one really does anything about it. I called at&t and all they could tell me was to buy a new phone, I emailed at&t and they said call at&t. It doesn't come down to I want the latest update but I want my phone to not have those little issues which there are fixes for them and no one does a thing about them. My contract with at&t is almost up, I will decide when that comes.

On another note sorry if it sounds like I have bad English but it took me like 20 minutes to type this up due to my keyboard disappearing every other word.
    I will be waiting for it. My main reason is that I do not use any of the big cell phone companies because they charge ridiculous amounts for data (My dad pays $180 per month for one iPhone on Verizon).
    I had Tracfone for a while, and now I am getting ready to switch to Ting. They will be supporting the HTC Arrive in November and then offering a Windows Phone 8 device in February or March of next year. So, until I can afford to spend over $500 on a Win 8 device, I will be sticking with the Arrive!
    So, yes, the 7.8 update is important to me and I look forward to getting it! Hopefully sonner rather than later.

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    It's very important i mean look at the Lumia 900 that a lot of people went crazy over, they haven't finished one out of there two year contract and if they got it for full retail price why would someone wanna spend another $500+ on a WP8 device. I got the HTC HD7S because the resolution is better than the HD7 and T-Mobile 3G bands work on it fine now but I still want 7.8 because the resealable tiles gives me more customization. The apps in the marketplace seem to be separate from windows phone 8 apps since applications have been released for each OS at different times which probably means that 1st and 2nd gen users will be able to use apps like facebook for another 2-3 years.

if you want to update to 7.8 use the navfirm method worked for me and my 610 like yourself i got mine dirt cheap from car phone warehouse
    since updating my 610 it seems faster and i've had no problems with it
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12