Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41
Like Tree2Likes
  1. bobo616's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    34 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,223 Global Posts
       #1  
    Hi,

    I currently have a iphone 4 and was considering buying an iphone 5 but as I am considering a phone with a bigger screen I started to consider other phones as well. I wont go to android as I believe the app policy leaves them open to malware etc so I am looking at Windows phones. Could you clear up some concerns I have as I have listed what is important to me in priority order and its just whether or not the windows OS has the features I need.

    Must have (Order of priority)

    Vetted app store
    Quality photo\video recording
    Secure\Private browser
    Find phone\remote wipe
    Privacy control apps
    Larger screen
    Burst photos
    Customizable ringtone\text alerts
    Contacts grouping
    Intuative interface
    Good call quality
    Good build quality
    Task manager\performance monitor
    Easy seachablity for apps
    Customizable wallpapers
    Software upgrades
    Calendar reminders
    Good support
    Wifi connection
    Bluetooth connection
    Auto updating apps
    Text reply when phone busy
    Calculator
    Compass

    Does the windows Os have all these features? My other concern as is many people is the apps, a list of my most important apps are below are there equivilents on windows?

    Most used apps (Not in priority order)

    442 stats zone app
    BBC iplayer app
    Childrens reward app
    ITV player app
    Movie fx app
    Old video style app
    Pre recorder app
    Shopping list app
    Sky + app
    Sky go app
    Slow mo app
    Slow shutter app
    Spreadsheet app
    TV catchup app
    Video compression app
    Video editing app
    3g speedtest app
    Battery charging app
    Cinema times app
    Photo Collage app
    Espn goals app
    First aid app
    Flashlight app
    Flixster app
    Imdb app
    Map app\streetview
    Notes app
    Photo editing app
    Radio or streaming app
    Reliable weather app
    Secure password app
    Secure photo app
    Shazam app
    Sky sports score centre
    Toy camera app
    traintimes app
    Tube map app
    Twitter app
    Youtube app
    redlaser
    ebay

    The 4 phones I am considering are :

    nokia lumia 920
    nokia lumia 820
    Samsung ativ
    HTC 8X

    Obviously none of these are out yet but do you think they would address enough of my requirements to make the switch?
    http://cdn-forums.wpcentral.com/imag...lies/wacko.png

    Many thanks in advance. I only found this website yesterday so apologies if similar posts have already been replied to.
  2. palandri's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    7,200 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,369 Global Posts
    #2  
    First off, Welcome to WPCentral!

    No offence, but I really think your post is too lengthy to get an accurate response to all your questions. Maybe you should look through the Windows Phone Marketplace. Here's the link to the U.S. Marketplace, but I think you're probably from the U.K. since you were look for the BBC Player:

    Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)


    Good luck to you!
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo616 View Post
    Hi,

    I currently have a iphone 4 and was considering buying an iphone 5 but as I am considering a phone with a bigger screen I started to consider other phones as well. I wont go to android as I believe the app policy leaves them open to malware etc so I am looking at Windows phones. Could you clear up some concerns I have as I have listed what is important to me in priority order and its just whether or not the windows OS has the features I need.

    Must have (Order of priority)

    Vetted app store
    Quality photo\video recording
    Secure\Private browser
    Find phone\remote wipe
    Privacy control apps
    Larger screen
    Burst photos
    Customizable ringtone\text alerts
    Contacts grouping
    Intuative interface
    Good call quality
    Good build quality
    Task manager\performance monitor
    Easy seachablity for apps
    Customizable wallpapers
    Software upgrades
    Calendar reminders
    Good support
    Wifi connection
    Bluetooth connection
    Auto updating apps
    Text reply when phone busy
    Calculator
    Compass
    I'm not gonna go through all the apps, but in terms of features... bold exists as of WP8 (confirmed), italics is rumored...


    Must have (Order of priority)

    Vetted app store
    Quality photo\video recording
    Secure\Private browser
    Find phone\remote wipe
    Privacy control apps
    Larger screen
    Burst photos
    Customizable ringtone\text alerts
    Contacts grouping
    Intuative interface
    Good call quality
    Good build quality

    Task manager\performance monitor
    Easy seachablity for apps
    Customizable wallpapers --- Depends what you mean... lockscreen yes, homescreen no
    Software upgrades
    Calendar reminders
    Good support
    Wifi connection
    Bluetooth connection
    Auto updating apps
    Calculator
    Compass

    Text reply when phone busy


    As you can see, there's only two on your list that are missing... and one that depends. It's actually funny that you list things out this way... because these are all such obvious features that I can see why it would be stupid for them not to exist, although admittedly a few of them just came with Mango last year, and a few more come with WP8 (custom alerts).

    The task manager ... I wouldn't really call it a monitor, but task switching exists. I really don't feel there's a need to monitor them. Windows Phone handles that just fine on its own.


    Anyway, I recommend the Lumia 920 and probably the HTC 8X as an alternative.
    Thanked by:
  4. bobo616's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    34 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,223 Global Posts
       #4  
    Thank you both,this really helps. I had a go on a lumia 800 today and was very impressed and it's really encouraging the other features I am interested in exist. The apps is an issue as I went through the list earlier and i think 60% have an equivalent but that's not too bad. Hopefully at the end of October I can make an informed choice once the reviews are out, until then I will be reading this forum. ;)
    HeyCori likes this.
  5. Nataku4ca's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    429 Posts
    #5  
    im at work and bored, hehe, hopefully i don't get any thing wrong (the other two pretty much answered all your qs though)

    Yes - Vetted app store
    Yes - Quality photo\video recording (L920 for the best quality in both, 8x will shine in photo imo)
    Yes(i think...) - Secure\Private browser
    Yes - Find phone\remote wipe
    Yes - Privacy control apps (u mean things like wallet and photo locker right? else please clarify)
    Yes - Larger screen
    Yes - Burst photos
    Sort of - Customizable ringtone\text alerts (30sec ringtone yes, text alerts... we will have to see when Build happens)
    Yes - Contacts grouping
    Yes - Intuitive interface
    Yes - Good call quality (this actually hardware depended, but no problem on my L800)
    Yes - Good build quality (again.. depends on the company, Lumias are tanks though)
    No - Task manager\performance monitor (OS manages this pretty well, u don't want to fall into the android route)
    Yes - Easy seachablity for apps (my opinion)
    Yes - Customizable wallpapers (wall paper for lock screen, for home screen u have 3 size tile and can move them around to your liking)
    Yes - Software upgrades
    Yes - Calendar reminders
    Yes - Good support (us? lol, well Nokia has been fantastic, MS has been listening and doing better and better over the years)
    Yes - Wifi connection
    Yes - Bluetooth connection
    Yes - Auto updating apps
    Not sure... - Text reply when phone busy
    Yes - Calculator
    Yes - Compass

    Apps
    too many im unsure of so ill just list the ones i know we either have or a replacement for, someone else will have to fill in the blanks

    Shopping list app
    Store search results | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

    Spreadsheet app
    we have excel (MS Office :) )

    Cinema times app
    i assume u mean an app that give u theater time? Local Scout can do it and i know there were a few apps too

    Photo Collage app
    lots of photo apps

    Espn goals app
    i know we have espn... just not sure if its the same one ur looking for

    First aid app
    Store search results | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

    Flashlight app
    lots, i use flash light 7, too many to choose didn't bother trying them all lol

    Flixster app
    Yes

    Imdb app
    Yes

    Map app\streetview
    Nokia Drive FTW!!! erm... ya lots of those as well

    Notes app
    like everynote and stuff? yes, and we also have MS Onenote built in

    Photo editing app
    too many to count

    Radio or streaming app
    yes, i haven't try any of them though... (except for slacker, which is good)

    Reliable weather app
    errr.... i don't trust any weather station, but we do have alot of good one (and being Canadian i just got The Weather Network app)

    Secure password app
    wp8 have something for this built in i think, there also seems to be quiet a few apps available for it)

    Secure photo app
    yap, there are a few, i use photo lock

    Shazam app
    yes

    traintimes app
    Nokia transit? i know there are others, just not sure which one fits ur needs

    Twitter app
    yes

    Youtube app
    yes, just keep in mind Google is screwing with us so our apps will need to be updated occasionally (like 4~5 month) if Google decides to change their api and kick our devs out

    redlaser
    yes, if i read u correctly, and if bing vision is available in your area, bing vision takes care of all those needs

    ebay
    yes, i haven't used it before though

    so uh, anyone else able to add or edit my list?
    Last edited by Nataku4ca; 09-27-2012 at 04:08 PM. Reason: argg... made it too hard to read, trying to make it better
  6. bobo616's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    34 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,223 Global Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nataku4ca View Post
    im at work and bored, hehe, hopefully i don't get any thing wrong (the other two pretty much answered all your qs though)

    Yes - Vetted app store
    Yes - Quality photo\video recording (L920 for the best quality in both, 8x will shine in photo imo)
    Yes(i think...) - Secure\Private browser
    Yes - Find phone\remote wipe
    Yes - Privacy control apps (u mean things like wallet and photo locker right? else please clarify)
    Yes - Larger screen
    Yes - Burst photos
    Sort of - Customizable ringtone\text alerts (30sec ringtone yes, text alerts... we will have to see when Build happens)
    Yes - Contacts grouping
    Yes - Intuitive interface
    Yes - Good call quality (this actually hardware depended, but no problem on my L800)
    Yes - Good build quality (again.. depends on the company, Lumias are tanks though)
    No - Task manager\performance monitor (OS manages this pretty well, u don't want to fall into the android route)
    Yes - Easy seachablity for apps (my opinion)
    Yes - Customizable wallpapers (wall paper for lock screen, for home screen u have 3 size tile and can move them around to your liking)
    Yes - Software upgrades
    Yes - Calendar reminders
    Yes - Good support (us? lol, well Nokia has been fantastic, MS has been listening and doing better and better over the years)
    Yes - Wifi connection
    Yes - Bluetooth connection
    Yes - Auto updating apps
    Not sure... - Text reply when phone busy
    Yes - Calculator
    Yes - Compass

    Apps
    too many im unsure of so ill just list the ones i know we either have or a replacement for, someone else will have to fill in the blanks

    Shopping list app
    Store search results | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

    Spreadsheet app
    we have excel (MS Office :) )

    Cinema times app
    i assume u mean an app that give u theater time? Local Scout can do it and i know there were a few apps too

    Photo Collage app
    lots of photo apps

    Espn goals app
    i know we have espn... just not sure if its the same one ur looking for

    First aid app
    Store search results | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

    Flashlight app
    lots, i use flash light 7, too many to choose didn't bother trying them all lol

    Flixster app
    Yes

    Imdb app
    Yes

    Map app\streetview
    Nokia Drive FTW!!! erm... ya lots of those as well

    Notes app
    like everynote and stuff? yes, and we also have MS Onenote built in

    Photo editing app
    too many to count

    Radio or streaming app
    yes, i haven't try any of them though... (except for slacker, which is good)

    Reliable weather app
    errr.... i don't trust any weather station, but we do have alot of good one (and being Canadian i just got The Weather Network app)

    Secure password app
    wp8 have something for this built in i think, there also seems to be quiet a few apps available for it)

    Secure photo app
    yap, there are a few, i use photo lock

    Shazam app
    yes

    traintimes app
    Nokia transit? i know there are others, just not sure which one fits ur needs

    Twitter app
    yes

    Youtube app
    yes, just keep in mind Google is screwing with us so our apps will need to be updated occasionally (like 4~5 month) if Google decides to change their api and kick our devs out

    redlaser
    yes, if i read u correctly, and if bing vision is available in your area, bing vision takes care of all those needs

    ebay
    yes, i haven't used it before though

    so uh, anyone else able to add or edit my list?

    Thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions, it all sounds very positive. The only thing I need to clarify is the privacy apps, what I meant was do apps have to ask to access different areas of your phone such as you calendar or photos? I really want to try the new phones as they may just be what be what I am after now.
  7. Nataku4ca's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    429 Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo616 View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions, it all sounds very positive. The only thing I need to clarify is the privacy apps, what I meant was do apps have to ask to access different areas of your phone such as you calendar or photos? I really want to try the new phones as they may just be what be what I am after now.
    oh that, yes lol :)
  8. HeyCori's Avatar
    Mod Emeritus

    Posts
    5,274 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,299 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo616 View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions, it all sounds very positive. The only thing I need to clarify is the privacy apps, what I meant was do apps have to ask to access different areas of your phone such as you calendar or photos? I really want to try the new phones as they may just be what be what I am after now.
    The app will give you a warning message if it needs to access other areas of the OS (like GPS for example). Then you can either agree or disagree to the terms.

    For the most part, apps run in a sandbox and don't have access to much of the OS. Windows Phone 8 will open up the system a bit more but I don't think anyone knows how far.
  9. bobo616's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    34 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,223 Global Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodThings2Life View Post
    I'm not gonna go through all the apps, but in terms of features... bold exists as of WP8 (confirmed), italics is rumored...


    Must have (Order of priority)

    Vetted app store
    Quality photo\video recording
    Secure\Private browser
    Find phone\remote wipe
    Privacy control apps
    Larger screen
    Burst photos
    Customizable ringtone\text alerts
    Contacts grouping
    Intuative interface
    Good call quality
    Good build quality

    Task manager\performance monitor
    Easy seachablity for apps
    Customizable wallpapers --- Depends what you mean... lockscreen yes, homescreen no
    Software upgrades
    Calendar reminders
    Good support
    Wifi connection
    Bluetooth connection
    Auto updating apps
    Calculator
    Compass

    Text reply when phone busy


    As you can see, there's only two on your list that are missing... and one that depends. It's actually funny that you list things out this way... because these are all such obvious features that I can see why it would be stupid for them not to exist, although admittedly a few of them just came with Mango last year, and a few more come with WP8 (custom alerts).

    The task manager ... I wouldn't really call it a monitor, but task switching exists. I really don't feel there's a need to monitor them. Windows Phone handles that just fine on its own.


    Anyway, I recommend the Lumia 920 and probably the HTC 8X as an alternative.
    Hi I am just looking at this again and I can't tell which are rumoured features in italics, can you clarify please? Thanks;)
  10. #10  
    In other words, nothing in italics, so everything is confirmed. ;)
  11. bobo616's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    34 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,223 Global Posts
       #11  
    Great news about the things confirmed, are there things that iOS does that you wish wp does but doesn't? I have read that you can't group or organise the apps, is this correct?
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo616 View Post
    Great news about the things confirmed, are there things that iOS does that you wish wp does but doesn't? I have read that you can't group or organise the apps, is this correct?
    It seems that in WP8 you will be able to group them in custom "hubs". If that's true, it will be nice for some users, but honestly, I don't personally feel the need for it once I can resize the tiles to my liking.

    As for other features of iOS that I might want, well, I've never owned or used one extensively to know. I've always been anti-Apple about everything. Objectively speaking, I'd say it's possible that something would wow me, but I haven't seen it yet when helping others. I will say that WP already does 90% of what I want, and WP8 is promising to fill in several of the gaps (custom notifications, for example). In fairness, though, I use my phone as a productivity tool... not as a full-time content gadget. I still want a tablet/laptop device for that stuff.
  13. Nataku4ca's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    429 Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo616 View Post
    Great news about the things confirmed, are there things that iOS does that you wish wp does but doesn't? I have read that you can't group or organise the apps, is this correct?
    my fiance has iphone for awhile now, from the experience when ive had to use it, i think its abit more annoying to find stuff using folders (unless u use search, which is alot faster sometimes) most of the time i end up having to open each group just to figure out where she put things, funny thing is i see her doing that alot too lol

    as far as i can tell we won't have grouping, but pressing on the highlighted alphabet to go to the app u need is better for me and if u do it right on the home screen in wp8, it can work very well, (now this is just my preference...)

    only thing that i wish we had, (unless im being dumb and not know it exists) is seach within the phone so i can type the app type to find it
  14. power5's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,208 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,587 Global Posts
    #14  
    What performance monitor does iOS have? Did not know about that.
  15. bobo616's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    34 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,223 Global Posts
       #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by power5 View Post
    What performance monitor does iOS have? Did not know about that.
    I use an app called sysstats, this lets you monitor the processes running and how much memory you have. It's basic but it's the best I have found.

    As far as the apps grouping goes I think I will have to see if there are any changes in wp8 as I will struggle to remember the names of the apps I want to use although it sounds like I can pin my most frequently used to the homescreen.

    Thanks for the help and I know these are simple questions but as nobody I know has a windows phone I would be the trail blazer/guinea pig for my group of friends and as all have iPhones and a few androids I want to be ready for the barrage of questions if I swap. Exciting times :D
  16. #16  
    Just out of curiosity, which phone are you looking to buy and what made you take a look at it over the iPhone?

    I admit I'm always looking for convincing reasons for all my Apple-loving friends, because although it's easy to bash/hate on iPhone, doing so makes me look more like a snob, and I prefer to convince people through merit than criticism.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo616 View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions, it all sounds very positive. The only thing I need to clarify is the privacy apps, what I meant was do apps have to ask to access different areas of your phone such as you calendar or photos? I really want to try the new phones as they may just be what be what I am after now.
    As an extra note, if you choose a Nokia WP8 device it will come bundled with Nokia Music, a free streaming radio app with custom stations by genre that also features the ability to download about 4 hrs of music to local storage for offline use at no extra charge. And you can change your downloaded songs out as often as it suits your fancy.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo616 View Post
    I use an app called sysstats, this lets you monitor the processes running and how much memory you have. It's basic but it's the best I have found.

    As far as the apps grouping goes I think I will have to see if there are any changes in wp8 as I will struggle to remember the names of the apps I want to use although it sounds like I can pin my most frequently used to the homescreen.

    Thanks for the help and I know these are simple questions but as nobody I know has a windows phone I would be the trail blazer/guinea pig for my group of friends and as all have iPhones and a few androids I want to be ready for the barrage of questions if I swap. Exciting times :D
    WP limits the amount of resources background tasks have access to, so you never have to worry about system memory. (or excess battery drain) If you have too many apps on standby, the OS will 86 the one(s) you used least recently. Hold down the back button to see what apps are still waiting for you.
  19. bobo616's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    34 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,223 Global Posts
       #19  
    Great to hear that system resources are managed so well so a process manager isn't needed. The reason I am thinking of leaving my iPhone is that I am a little bored with the os as it hasn't really changed much and although it is very good I am also looking at a bigger screen which would mean the iPhone 5 which would mainly be the same as my ip4 but with 1cm more screen, I am not sure that is worth the 529 I would have to pay.

    It is also obvious that apple will stop supporting the ip4 as far as software upgrades go when the new iPhone next year comes out so I will need to upgrade sometime next year anyway which would mean less resell value as I buy my phones sim free.

    I also don't like how the iPhone is seen as a status symbol, I bought it as it was the best os at the time. I don't think this is true anymore as android and wp are just as good now but android has security concerns so it leaves me to only consider wp. I hope this answers the question.

    I have one more question now, when you receive a SMS message do you get a audible alert and then another a few minutes later as this very useful on iOS as I often forget otherwise.


    Thanks again.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo616 View Post
    I have one more question now, when you receive a SMS message do you get a audible alert and then another a few minutes later as this very useful on iOS as I often forget otherwise.
    Thanks for the explanation... I think those are very good reasons indeed. :)

    As for notifications, no... there is one alert sound only. HOWEVER, the advantage of WP with notifications is that as soon as you wake the phone up, the message counts are right there at the bottom of the screen, and when you unlock, they show on your live tiles for the apps as well. So you won't have to worry about missing them when you get a moment to check. :)
  21. cmceleste's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #21  
    Hello, Great to see there is a supportive community for WP out there.

    I also have the iPhone 4 and am skeptical about getting the new iPhone 5. The Nokia 920 seems to be a segue into a new era of smart phones. These forums and videos have great information about how the WP8 operating system will work, thank you.

    A question I am interested in is how do you transfer music and photos from your computer to your phone? I use Apple computers and have all my music and photos in iTunes and iPhoto. Is there a program that can work on a Mac to sync all my files and use as a backup?

    Thank you for any information.
  22. #22  
    For now, we use the Zune software to transfer pictures, videos, and music. It's superior to iTunes, in my opinion, but the important thing for you is that any music in AAC format will need to be converted to MP3 first. MP3's will transfer just fine. Same with video files... you may have to convert from iTunes to MPG or WMV format.

    On a Mac, however, there is a specific Windows Phone utility that grants the same features (file transfer/backup), although I don't believe it includes access to the marketplace... not sure how that works, exactly, since I don't own a Mac.

    Moving forward, you also have the means of using cloud-services such as SkyDrive (which works great on PC and Mac) to sync files wirelessly (among other features) as well as Xbox Marketplace (music and videos).

    In other words, you may have some adaptations to make, but I think you'll have no trouble making them. It's generally a painless process, and I believe that Nokia offers some tools to help as well. :)
  23. bobo616's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    34 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,223 Global Posts
       #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodThings2Life View Post
    For now, we use the Zune software to transfer pictures, videos, and music. It's superior to iTunes, in my opinion, but the important thing for you is that any music in AAC format will need to be converted to MP3 first. MP3's will transfer just fine. Same with video files... you may have to convert from iTunes to MPG or WMV format.

    On a Mac, however, there is a specific Windows Phone utility that grants the same features (file transfer/backup), although I don't believe it includes access to the marketplace... not sure how that works, exactly, since I don't own a Mac.

    Moving forward, you also have the means of using cloud-services such as SkyDrive (which works great on PC and Mac) to sync files wirelessly (among other features) as well as Xbox Marketplace (music and videos).

    In other words, you may have some adaptations to make, but I think you'll have no trouble making them. It's generally a painless process, and I believe that Nokia offers some tools to help as well. :)
    As I am a bit paranoid about backing things up in the cloud can I just back my phone up locally on my pc and if so can these backups be encrypted?

    It also doesn't look as though I can load my contacts without uploading to hotmail or gmail either, this seems overly complicated as again I don't want all my contacts being uploaded as I have concerns over this.
  24. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo616 View Post
    As I am a bit paranoid about backing things up in the cloud can I just back my phone up locally on my pc and if so can these backups be encrypted?

    It also doesn't look as though I can load my contacts without uploading to hotmail or gmail either, this seems overly complicated as again I don't want all my contacts being uploaded as I have concerns over this.
    I remember a point in time where you had to ask yourself what's more important... being paranoid about losing your data or being paranoid about someone accessing your data. Today, there's no such compromise... if you pay attention to your options.

    As an IT guy of 20 years, I can tell you that storing them on a Microsoft Account (ie. Hotmail/Outlook) is certainly your safest option if you take advantage of a strong password and the double-factor authentication (tying to your mobile phone number for verifications). In the old days, it was quite easy for people to fake a reset and steal an account. Now it requires a several step verification.

    I store every last byte of data on my Microsoft account, and it would take a lot of effort to get to any of it without my knowing it. Here's how I do it...

    I have a Microsoft account. Noone knows the master email address to it but me, and likewise on the highly complex password. Even if you discovered the address, you'd have to reset the password, but that would require a phone/text verification as well.

    I then setup alias addresses on the account that I use for elsewhere on the web. That way, if someone compromises some site, they're not going to have a valid email or password to use for the account. (As a side note but not necessary for daily use, I have 5 passwords that I cycle through for most things, but for sites with low security, I use a random password... I use LastPass to help me manage things.)

    I sync all of my stuff to the phone and my laptop via SkyDrive through that same account. Because I run Windows 8 and Windows Phone, I can initiate a "remote wipe" if they're ever lost or stolen... but I won't lose the data, because it's all on SkyDrive as my backup.

    Bottom line... I'm protected on the devices by strong password protection AND remote wipe features in Windows 8 and Windows Phone. I'm protected online, because I don't use the same email for the master account that I use for online sites.

    And it's super easy to setup through Outlook.com. Register a single master account, go to options and setup as many aliases as you like (I have two... personal for family/friends, and public for websites/e-commerce). From there, on your favorite sites... update the email addresses to your public one.

    As for contacts/data... it's a very simple task to upload to Outlook.com, and you'll ask yourself how you managed to get by with such manual, one-device limitations before.
    Last edited by GoodThings2Life; 10-03-2012 at 06:25 PM.
    Thanked by:
    Nataku4ca likes this.
  25. Nataku4ca's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    429 Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodThings2Life View Post
    I remember a point in time where you had to ask yourself what's more important... being paranoid about losing your data or being paranoid about someone accessing your data. Today, there's no such compromise... if you pay attention to your options.
    interesting approach, im going to change the way i do some of my things, i never thought about using aliases to protect the master account, thanks for the read :]
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions