Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Global Posts
    1,309 Global Posts
    AR.Drone 2.0 RC Quadricopter from Parrot

Yup, all these genius developers making apps like this for iOS/Android and not for Windows Phone.

Quote Originally Posted by smoledman View Post

Yup, all these genius developers making apps like this for iOS/Android and not for Windows Phone.
    But things are about to change though. When W8 and WP8 new hardwares start shipping after 10/26, you will quickly see the momentum shift. Developers will start porting their apps over to W8 and WP8 in waves. It will be interesting to see how fast the pace is. The statistics for market shares and units sold will change quarter by quarter. IDC predicted WP phones will surpass iphones by the end of 2016. It could be sooner. It all depends on how quickly the WP apps can catch up. With the release of WP8 and Nokia L920, you at least can see the hardware design and OS have already caught up or even surpassed their IOS/Android counterparts.
    PappesHartley likes this.

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Brookstone is like an poorer man's SkyMall.

Personally, such apps are totally useless for me. My phone is about communicating and getting stuff done, not playing with toys. I guess there are people that "need" apps like that.

How many people own quadricopters?

How many people own Xbox 360s?

Given the results of those two questions, what's the best phone for "playing with toys" you actually own?
    Loyal first and foremost to a carrier (US Cellular). Open to either a Lumia 820, or an HTC 8X, or an Ativ S.

Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Well, I don't really need to fly a helicopter with my phone. I doubt most people do.

I seriously doubt that a remote controlled helicopter is the reason WP is SO far behind... WP is still a new system compared to Android and IOS. When the marketshare catches up - and it will - the apps will follow.

Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    Windows Phone is so far behind because the developer of a piece of technology that 0.0001% of the world owns doesn't offer an app for the platform?

Smoledman, get some better material.
    scottcraft likes this.
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    We just need to sell more Windows Phones. When the market is 40% WP8 devices developers will build for WP.

Global Posts
    1,044 Global Posts

Welp, you convinced me. A control app for a toy is definitely going to kill the o/s.

I guess I'm off to buy an iPhone 5. BRB....
    My next phone...
    Villain likes this.
    Son of a .....! This is just the app I needed to FINALLY have a leg up on challenging my Navy-pilot brother-in-law to a choppa-crashing death! And now I'm screwed because I use a Windows Phone. Guess it's time to pack in the towel boys and girls... I hear there's a very magical, all-new phone that was just released recently... from Motorola!
    selfcreation likes this.

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    It's more simple than that. The developer base doesn't exist for Windows Phone yet because Microsoft didn't really support it's own system. When they brought out WP7, they relied almost solely on the hardware producers to sell it and put it out there. Why would somebody want to spend time, effort, and money on a platform that the owner didn't even seem to put much effort behind?

Now that they apparently are making the effort to put Windows9 and tie in Windows Phone 8 along with Tablets and other portables, perhaps now, developers will begin to see some payback for their efforts. They did so well, for so many years with Windows Mobile.

They dropped the ball when they abandoned that OS for the new. I think they may have learned something from that judging from how they are handling the WP8, WP7.8 changeover. They could have very easily done the same thing to everyone who'd spent time/money on WP7 but they at least are doing something to keep it going for a little longer until WP8 has time to develop and grow.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    have u even tried does TOY apps on Ios and Droid? its horrible. get a real remote control.

Statements about MS not doing enough is simply not true . MS has more Support for WP then Apple does for Ios or google for Droid.

MS has Developer events on monthly base every month sins day ONE to try to bring more DEV`s over. (something apple and google never do ) Ios and Droid just have a bigger user base hence why its better for DEV`s to develop useless apps for does OS cause they have a better chance to make $$$$
    If your looking for Information, be sure to check out: WindowsPhone: Getting started!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If one of our Members helps you, be sure to THANK him or her!

The reason Windows Phone is behind is because Microsoft puts a bunch of restrictions on their OS, for the better good, but at the same time it hampers the platform with outdated hardware. Hopefully this will all change in WP8 because the NT Kernel used is WP8 is it from here on out. No more drastic changes in the OS language. The new OS is also suppose to be able to scale to different multicore processors so hopefully Microsoft and WP can stay on par with the rest of the industry when it comes to new hardware advancements. But I fear that if the new Lumia 920 and HTC 8X don't gain WP some market shares then the end is near. It's do or die. I'm hoping for "do."

WP is so far behind because it started much later than the competition. Of course they're going to be behind!

When you start, you don't get to start at the front.

Whether people believe it or not, it's still very early in the ecosystem game.
    Thanked by:
    addman 
    cckgz4 and addman like this.
    Resident Developer

You know, I almost dove into the SDK to see if I could make a Windows Phone controller app, but I'd actually need to own one of these first... If someone wants to buy me one I might give it a shot... ;)

Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Will all the new apps be available to WP 7 devices too? I don't want my phone to be left in the dark.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

Global Posts
    1,309 Global Posts
    The app isn't just a controller, it captures video & photos AND allows you to post them to Youtube. It's a controller + iMovie in one app.
    The app isn't just a controller, it captures video & photos AND allows you to post them to Youtube. It's a controller + iMovie in one app.
    Oh, WOW, well in that case... that makes ALL the difference!

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Not worth it if I have to use iMovie or a Mac for that matter.

Global Posts
    1,309 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vagrantwade View Post
    Not worth it if I have to use iMovie or a Mac for that matter.
    I said it's iMovie-like. Maybe an exaggeration. Bottom line is it captures videos & photos and allows you to blog them.

Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    And how exactly does support for a niche technology cause Windows Phone to be so far behind? You picked about the worst example possible, you should have gone with a popular service like Instagram or a missing local transit app which millions find useful. Is the iPhone 5 dead in the water because it doesn't support NFC?

I've seen these demoed and they are neat, but in no way are they a deal breaker for many more than a few thousand people.
    cckgz4 likes this.

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryNil View Post
    And how exactly does support for a niche technology cause Windows Phone to be so far behind?
    You could say that the OP picked a bad example but, in reality, it's quite an accurate picture of how things are with support for WP apps - companies just don't write apps for WP (unless they have their arm twisted or MS or Nokia write it themselves!).

I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen an advert for some company's downloadable app only to find that you can only get it on iPhone, Android or even Blackberry. I'm talking mainstream as well, so high street shops and restaurants, banks garages etc. If a well-known company has an app, you can pretty much bet it'll be on anything other than WP.

I could understand this if the OS had been out for less than a year, but we're at two years now, or thereabouts, and still we're seeing plenty of developers ignoring WP, and others saying they have no plans to develop for WP. I'm not convinced either than things will change with WP8/W8. Plenty of people were saying that the lack of apps wouldn't be a problem once Mango arrived, but nothing much changed there.

I recently bought an iPad 2, and while I'm most certainly not an Apple fanboy, two things hit me - you can get official apps for most things you can think of, and the OS update support. I know the WP8/7.8 thing has been covered in other threads, and I understand the Kernal change etc, but it wasn't lost on me that my 18 month old, second gen iPad gets iOS 6 (and runs just fine), but my 6 month old Lumia 900 won't get WP8, and yet it was MS that originally made a big thing about no fragmentation with their platform.

Anyway, I realise that's a different subject. I guess my point in all of this is that we're all fairly agreed on the fact that devs wont make apps for a platform that has such a low market share, but it almost seems like many companies have no interest in WP whatsoever, regardless of user numbers. How does MS go about changing that?
    I don't think apps are the problem:

Consumers ignore most apps on their smartphones

Windows phone is not that far behind. The app scene is much different though I will admit. Apps on android and iPhones are more robust. The thing that gives the windows phone a slight edge is that the same thing that is the opening icon on Windows phones is also the information panel. Other OS apps rarely have that and most of the time require you to put up a space taking, power soaking widget. At this time there are trade offs. One day WP will have their own huge a different market, it just won't be with the next 6 months to a year away. I admit, I peeked over the fence and realized how bad many Windows phone apps are. I didn't think it mattered until a week ago. So many quality apps makes a difference.

Sent from my beast of a device.
    Developer

Global Posts
    4,354 Global Posts
    I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I think what puts WP behind, is not allowing WP7 apps to run on Win 8 RT tablets. I don't know about BB, but the other OS's can run the same app on both, with custom views depending on if it's running on a phone or tablet. Each view would have the same hooks, so the code behind file works with both. WP7 apps are at times more expensive than their iOS/Android counterparts, and now you'll have to pay twice for the same app on your phone and tablet, assuming you want it on both... Couple that with not being able to share a Zune ID for apps (wife wants her own gamer tag for gaming) and now I could, in theory be buying an app 4 times between the wife and I. On iOS, my wife and I shared an app ID, but had different gamer IDs... so in theory, we could purchase an app once, at a cheaper price, and use it on both of our iPhones and both of our iPads.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    My Apps: PIP (WP8 - Compass / Flashlight), Beer Knurd (WP7/8)
    Meme 8 Ball (WP8), UnClocked (WP8.1 - Themed Live Tile Clock)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast