Native WiFi texting

Ebaneeezor

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I cannot send a text over wifi using the native messaging application....this is a bummer, unless I have missed something. I know that I could use Viber, IM+, and or any other free texting application, but most @ work will not touch a third party texting application - and these require that both parties have the app. Has anyone figured this out, or is it just how it is currently? (Does this change in WP8?)

Ebaneeezor

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Just confirmed through Nokia Care, via Live Chat - that the current Lumia 900 and the upcoming Lumia 920 DO NOT and WILL NOT text over WiFi utlizing the native Messaging application. dam.......This is going to be an issue for me.......

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Carrier SMS is sent over a small sub-channel of the voice signal not on the Data channel hence why it works on any dumbphone and such.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Um... I use my built in chat (Windows Live, Facebook Messenger) on Wifi only with no problems. I'm not sure exactly what problem you are having. Are you trying to use SMS with wifi? That won't work at all.

What doesn't work when data is off is MMS. That annoys me when I turn off the data signal to save on bandwidth only to be denied the ability to send MMS.

mrwrx

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Gvoice or text plus free lets you send SMS txt to any recipient without using carrier service other than data or WiFi. The recipient will not require any third party apps, and the messages will be received by the built-in messaging app. The only catch is you will have to use another phone number provided by the app/service.

Last edited:

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
you could use the built in Skype (windows phone 8) or Live or Facebook using the built in messaging app, the only kick is that you both need to be logged in.

Ebaneeezor

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the responses :)

Ill try to explain it better.

@ work, I have zero LTE/4g signal. When I attempt to use the Messaging application (that comes with the 900 out of the box) the device will not send the message. I just get a cant send message until I go outside and re-acquire the LTE/4g signal.

This is an issue as I have family that need to reach me, and they currently cannot unless we get a third party app like skype, viber, or some of the ones you folks mentioned. These however, are not always reliable, and im sick of getting *****ed at by the wife, lol.....:lol:

Here is the vomit part... my friend wips out his iphone, shuts off all data (4g/lte) signal and only has wifi on, he sends me a text, and i got the text (I get 2 bars in his office) - but if it makes you feel any better, I threw a rubber brick at him and left. I know it made me feel better....:D

so yes, in short, I need a text service that works over wifi to communicate with others at work and home, home is not such a big deal as they will download 3rd party apps (unreliable)and i get to deal with multiple text/chat apps, but no one will do that at work, they wont even open a google browser or facebook.. (paranoid i guess).but its government space, so its understandable..

not sure what to do, I was/am looking forward to the 920 - but I need this basic functionality out of the box to communicate via text with coworkers, not with a third party app. I witnessed it on the iPhone 5 - makes no sense to me, but it worked.

Ebaneeezor

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Gvoice or text plus free lets you send SMS txt to any recipient without using carrier service other than data or WiFi. The recipient will not require any third party apps, and the messages will be received by the built-in messaging app. The only catch is you will have to use another phone number provided by the app/service.

Yep, tried that - the new number is the issue there.

thanks for the suggestion though :) appreciate it.

Ebaneeezor

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
you could use the built in Skype (windows phone 8) or Live or Facebook using the built in messaging app, the only kick is that you both need to be logged in.

Ive tried that a few times, seems that the phone cuts wifi off when in standby and the keep alive app seems to cut off all text for me when i install it - everytime i used keep alive I never gets texted, i uninstall it, and it works again - its weird..

I do use the facebook built in application for home now, but yes, they all require to be logged in.. everytime i open skype, it opens and logs me in as if i was logged out. so this does not work either.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
No phone can send standard SMS (using native messaging via the carriers system) with no phone radio active. It will not go over WiFi or any data channel. He either has some phone radio active (Can he receive a phone call at that time? Then the phone radio is not truly off.), or he is using some 3rd party service that is using the data channel to route a message to your phones number which hits your phone as SMS. Or he is using Facebook/WLM chat. When you look at his messages in Messaging, does it say 'type a text message' or 'chat on Facebook'?

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
umm... u know... if ur friend sent u an sms message it still goes through the cell phone towers, turning off data != turning phone "cell" signal off, just turns "data" connection off... tell him to go airplane mode then try (pretty sure airplane mode is the only one that prevents you from calling)

by LTE i guess ur friend had an iphone5?

Ebaneeezor

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
umm... u know... if ur friend sent u an sms message it still goes through the cell phone towers, turning off data != turning phone "cell" signal off, just turns "data" connection off... tell him to go airplane mode then try (pretty sure airplane mode is the only one that prevents you from calling)

by LTE i guess ur friend had an iphone5?

Yes, an iPhone 5 - he shut off everything but WiFi. cellular data, LTE, and Data Roaming were all set to off. (but I will ask him to do it in airplane mode as well)

Ebaneeezor

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
No phone can send standard SMS (using native messaging via the carriers system) with no phone radio active. It will not go over WiFi or any data channel. He either has some phone radio active (Can he receive a phone call at that time? Then the phone radio is not truly off.), or he is using some 3rd party service that is using the data channel to route a message to your phones number which hits your phone as SMS. Or he is using Facebook/WLM chat. When you look at his messages in Messaging, does it say 'type a text message' or 'chat on Facebook'?

He used the built in Messaging application - he does not, and will not use 3rd party apps for texting. Im going have him send it in airplane mode as another forum user suggested. Im with ya on the wifi texting issue, i didnt think it was possible either..Apple makes zero mention of it other then to say that iMessage can, but only iPhone to iPhone - which is simply a built in app on there servers.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Yes, an iPhone 5 - he shut off everything but WiFi. cellular data, LTE, and Data Roaming were all set to off. (but I will ask him to do it in airplane mode as well)

Notice none of those are phone radios, all data (Not counting WiFi which you were intentionally trying to leave on.). Like I said, try calling his phone while he does the test. If it rings then he has the phone radio still on and SMS will work.

Ebaneeezor

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Notice none of those are phone radios, all data (Not counting WiFi which you were intentionally trying to leave on.). Like I said, try calling his phone while he does the test. If it rings then he has the phone radio still on and SMS will work.

will do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786