No info on the Win 7.8 update today :(

addman

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, that was pretty disappointing. On the other hand, there was very little exciting about WP8 which makes me less interested in switching over any time soon.:)

Sent from my LG-E900 using Board Express

blackprince

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
MSFT said months ago that 7.8 was being released after WP8 was so expecting news of it today was highly unrealistic. This was a WP8 event and 7.8 was never going to be talked about.

addman

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I can see why. They wanted 100% focus on WP8. Hopefully we'll get some kind of press release regarding 7.8 in the near future.

Sent from my LG-E900 using Board Express

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Today it was all about Windows Phone 8. What they could have done, to a lesser extent, was make mention with a teaser that further news on the release of Windows 7.8 for current hardware was on the way. But, if they didn't offer up anything in terms of new information that hasn't already been reported on they would have been slammed. You're damned if you do, damned if you don't.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
From WMPower users.

Windows Phone Italy has spilled the beans on the Windows Phone 7.8 upgrade. As always we should take whatever is said with a grain of salt until the official release, but in their Facebook page Windows Phone Italy said Windows Phone:

"The upgrade to 7.8 will be available for versions 7.0 and 7.5 shortly after the marketing of the devices Windows Phone 8.
Among the features there is the new Start screen , the sharing of the calendar using the function Club and ‘ access to key services and content Microsoft, including Xbox Music Store library that can be enjoyed by Zune and Xbox SmartGlass .
Continue to follow us for all other news!"

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't think Windows Phone 7.8 has been finalized. I'm sure that there is still some politics being played out in the background over what should and should not be included so as not to steal the thunder from WP8. You know, things that should have been considered by Google before companies started releasing phones with multiple and customized versions of its OS.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I hope we get some of the non kernel specific features. Kid's Corner for sure should be possible on 7.5 handsets. Its just a pivot from the start screen/lock screen. Nothing that could not be implemented very easily.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I hope we get some of the non kernel specific features. Kid's Corner for sure should be possible on 7.5 handsets. Its just a pivot from the start screen/lock screen. Nothing that could not be implemented very easily.

You would think that this is what the 7.8 update would be - things that aren't kernel specific and can be easily implemented on the second gen 7.x hardware that was released within the last 12 months until now. Don't let it eat at you, it's just a phone update and as it is right now most 7.x phones operate just fine. Otherwise, why would you have bought them to begin with?

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Correction. My phone initially did work just fine. After installing some apps, my keyboard did not like to stay where I can actually type on it. Most times I cannot just tap the text box again and have it touch someplace else in the app. I want 7.8 so my phone actually works. Its been working ok since about 2 months into my purchase. My new phone i just received for a locked up one has the same keyboard issue. No idea how I got 2 months in the beginning of my windows life with a working KB.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I hate playing the refurb game. You are almost never guaranteed to get a working phone again until they decide they cannot resolve your issue with constant replacements. For the years I had Verizon they made me jump through hoops to make sure I didn't do something to the phone to void the warranty. (Good for them actually) I don't mind refurb phones, but then I got one that had a pubic hair on it and the phone itself was dusty. From there I got another replacement device for the issue I was having and it too decided to give me fits. Back then stores would actually take some time to look over your phone. If you got a manager with more sense than he had time to actually help you, you'd walk out with a new phone. That's how I got my wife's BlackBerry Storm replaced with a Storm 2.

Never go into a store or a phone call with a carrier with the attitude or even the perception that you want something for nothing. Once they have that perception you won't get anywhere. I used to fight on the phone, yell and demand things like I was more important that life itself. But then I would normally waste two hours of my life troubleshooting with tech support reps and complaining about the price of tea in China. Eventually my wife stepped in and told me the honest truth about my "success" with customer service departments - I continued to talk until they couldn't do anything but appease me to get me to shut up. I would also get them to crack, yell at me or swear, etc. Eventually that would do one of two things - villify me in the eyes of my wife or the very people on the phone trying to help me or get me out of contract without a term fee. It usually did both.

If I get the 7.8 on my Lumia that is great. If support lags on this phone I might be tempted to go elsewhere. The Nexus 4 unlocked will be $350 - and while that is sleeping with the enemy it is a device that will be supported by Google directly and isn't carrier branded. But, if for the same price I can get a Lumia 920 off contract I could go that route as well. Just depends who is willing to play ball with me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital