Samsung Focus vs Lumia 710

christopherbarran

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hello Everyone,

I am new here.
My wife has (or rather had) a Focus first generation phone (ATT unlocked) which was running WP7.5. She had it for about 1 year and loves it to death.
Last night she dropped it and it fell on the screen. The phone looks fine just the touchscreen no longer works. I don't know if it can be repaired or not.
So here is my question, she says she would love to have one back, Samsung Focus, and it is only 180USD or so on Amazon. I was thinking what about the Nokia Lumia 710? It is about 199 USD on Amazon.
Which would you rate as better?

Also, once she gets a replacement phone, I assume we just have to use her Windows Live (hotmail in this case) ID to log into the phone and everything should be ok right? And then just to get the apps etc she had from before.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes the apps and contacts, mails etc... can all be saved. The apps can be downloaded but settings will be lost (if you unlock every level in Angry birds like myself, prepare to have a bad time).

The Lumia has a tad smaller screen and is not quite as sharp looking as the Focus but it does offer some cool Nokia apps.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I'd get the Lumia just for the newer hardware. (First gen phones has Snapdragon s1, 1ghz CPU, Adreno 200 GPU. Second gen phones used the S2, 1.4ghz, adreno 205) If you're playing games or stuff its not going to get nearly as hot as the first gen phones did (My optimus 7 would get hot after playing games. The Lumia 710 doesnt get anywhere near as hot)

You do only get 8gb onboard storage on it so be aware of that. And yeah you can redownload all your apps (the windowsphone.com site has all your purchase history. You can go there and choose reinstall and it'll download the programs back to your phone. You dont have to be connected to the computer for it) But you'd lose all your save data.

christopherbarran

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for your replies.

I was leaning towards the Lumia as well.
There are some specific Nokia apps for the Lumia line aren't there? I thought Samsung was lacking in this regard.
I hope my wife doesn't mind the smaller screen size and the none capacitive Home buttons. To be honest those buttons were sometimes too easy to hit when you're playing games etc.
8 GB shouldn't be a problem as we run the Focus without an add-on SD card.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99