Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. jmajid's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    307 Posts
    Global Posts
    317 Global Posts
       #1  
    Do any of the Nokia Lumia lower cost phones run Skype?
    Will the Lumia 510 run it now?

    Any other options for a windows phone device that CAN run Skype over wifi?

    Need this for someone who doesnt want to spend too much money but needs a gsm phone that is unlocked (will use several non-US sim cards)
  2. speedtouch's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,038 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,145 Global Posts
    #2  
    I don't know about the Lumia 510, but the Lumia 710 runs Skype like a champ.
    Lumia 635
    Thanked by:
    jmajid 
  3. Corepc's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,226 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,229 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmajid View Post
    Need this for someone who doesnt want to spend too much money but needs a gsm phone that is unlocked (will use several non-US sim cards)
    Best bet is 710 which you can find online Unlocked for less than $200

    White or Black
    TMobile Nokia Lumia 521 (GDR3/Black) - Prepaid Unlimited + 3gb Hotspot
    AT&T Nokia Lumia 520 - Net10 AT&T
    Retired Focus Flash (wp7.8 = 7.10.8862.14)
    Net10/Straight Talk AT&T Apn Data for Samsung Wireless Manager
    WPCentralApp Beta Tester
    Thanked by:
    jmajid 
  4. 1jaxstate1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,239 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    #4  
    How much is "too much"?
    Quote Originally Posted by jmajid View Post
    Do any of the Nokia Lumia lower cost phones run Skype?
    Will the Lumia 510 run it now?

    Any other options for a windows phone device that CAN run Skype over wifi?

    Need this for someone who doesnt want to spend too much money but needs a gsm phone that is unlocked (will use several non-US sim cards)
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr
  5. jmajid's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    307 Posts
    Global Posts
    317 Global Posts
       #5  
    about 175 is the price they are willing to pay.
    the 710 seems like a good choice as amazon is showing around that price....
    how is the battery life and overall performance?
    is it a hassle to take photos off the phone?
    im thinking of the simplicity factor for this person...
  6. speedtouch's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,038 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,145 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmajid View Post
    about 175 is the price they are willing to pay.
    the 710 seems like a good choice as amazon is showing around that price....
    how is the battery life and overall performance?
    is it a hassle to take photos off the phone?
    im thinking of the simplicity factor for this person...
    I purchased my used Lumia 710 for $150 from eBay. Battery life is decent, especially if you don't add a lot of email accounts onto the phone. Performance is equal to a Lumia 900 and 800 because all three phones share the same CPU/GPU/RAM. Photos are easily copied from the phone by using Zune on your computer. Very easy.
    Lumia 635
    Thanked by:
    jmajid 
  7. 1jaxstate1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,239 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    #7  
    You should try ebay. The prices for the 900 are around the $200 range, but some are lower. With the release of the 920, the price is dropping rapidly.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmajid View Post
    about 175 is the price they are willing to pay.
    the 710 seems like a good choice as amazon is showing around that price....
    how is the battery life and overall performance?
    is it a hassle to take photos off the phone?
    im thinking of the simplicity factor for this person...
    Just checked ebay. There's some "like new" 900's being sold as "buy it now" for $189.
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr
    Thanked by:
    jmajid 
  8. jmajid's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    307 Posts
    Global Posts
    317 Global Posts
       #8  
    ok, so i am adding a question to this after i thought i had a winner...
    take a photo, try to share it via bluetooth - is that possible?
    im seeing conflicting info on the web and the search function on wpcentral is not at all useful.
  9. HeyCori's Avatar
    Mod Emeritus

    Posts
    5,250 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,275 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmajid View Post
    ok, so i am adding a question to this after i thought i had a winner...
    take a photo, try to share it via bluetooth - is that possible?
    im seeing conflicting info on the web and the search function on wpcentral is not at all useful.
    No Bluetooth picture sharing. Latest rumor is that Nokia will offer Bluetooth file sharing with the 7.8 update.
    Thanked by:
    jmajid 
  10. Squachy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    383 Posts
    #10  
    yeah avoid the 510 and 610. I dunno why those even exist. at this stage of the hardware cycle it cant possibly be expensive to manufacture a 710 caliber smartphone.

    the 710's the best bet, its pretty much a cheaper 800 (same internals, less storage, not as fancy packaging, smaller battery)

    Battery life...imo kind of sucks. but its a 1300mah battery. I barely get by 8hrs.

    They can be had cheap, i got mine for 120 on kijiji when most of the lower cost ones were going for at least 150-170 (at the time, this was several months ago).
    Thanked by:
    jmajid 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions