Exchange account not syncing (marked as read)

SouthpawJosh

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I have a work e-mail account through an Exchange server. When I check my e-mails on my desktop and mark my messages as read, and throughout the day do the same thing and it syncs regularly, then I go to my phone, and while it has current e-mails, it doesn't mark that I've read them. This happens in my inbox, as well as sub-folders that have rules designating e-mails to those folders directly.

Other than manually marking them as read, is there something I'm missing? I checked the sync settings on my phone (Lumia 900) and didn't see anything. Other than that I know we changed/updated our e-mail server, but I updated that information to the best of my knowledge.

cenit

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Same problem here, using a Lumia 920. My emails often are not marked as read on the server even if I have read them on my phone.

RN50

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried pressing the refresh button after you have read your emails?

Mine wasn't marking it as read until i started pressing refresh.

cenit

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried pressing the refresh button after you have read your emails?

Mine wasn't marking it as read until i started pressing refresh.

yes pressing refresh works the way it is supposed, but coming from an iPhone where it was not required I always forgot that.
Also, if I move the message to another folder, sometimes forcing refresh moves the message also on the server but still does not mark it as read...

jdawgvandyk

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem, quite annoying - and have not found a way around it either. I mean if I open the mail on my WP8 then move to another folder on my exchange server the mail items should be marked read, however they are still marked unread in outlook.

Sorry all I will still search!

cenit

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
@jdawgvandyk: A workaround is to read the email, sync the account then move the email to the new folder. Very slow procedure, btw...
Also, the problem arises when deleting emails: the email in the trash is marked as unread on the server (both outlook.com and gmail.com).

Bad implementation of Exchange ActiveSync from the creator itself... :(

ousooner314

May 6, 2011
Visit site
It's the most inconvenient syncing implementation I've seen compared to other mobile platforms. Every other platform automatically syncs changes made on the device back to the server. I've created a feature suggestion on the uservoice forum suggesting they fix this. Feel free to vote if interested - Two-way full email sync.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3