Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. WhippedKream's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    323 Posts
       #1  
    Hey guys, this my first time posting in the forums but I have been a WP central member for quite some time :). I have the LG Optimus 7 and found out the sad sad news of the discontinuation of LG because they suck hard... So I was looking for the alternative, since im not made out of money, which was custom ROMS for 7.8. Nobody seems to have answered this question yet, "What about the LG 7.8 custom ROMS?!?!" Anybody know what is up? Thanks ahead of time! I love windows phone so much and just want that goodness :(
  2. MrSean490's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    #2  
    There are no custom ROMs available for LG windows phones, and do not expect any to come; most/almost all XDA modders do not own these phones. Nevertheless, Microsoft can & will push out a 7.8 update to all phones, even if a particular OEM has moved on (LG, Dell) - you just won't get any firmware upgrades from the OEM as that WOULD require effort on their part. Same deal with 7.5 Tango.
    Thanked by:
  3. WhippedKream's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    323 Posts
       #3  
    If this is true, I love you for clarifying this for me :P thanks a lot man
  4. The_Traveler's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    32 Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSean490 View Post
    There are no custom ROMs available for LG windows phones, and do not expect any to come; most/almost all XDA modders do not own these phones. Nevertheless, Microsoft can & will push out a 7.8 update to all phones, even if a particular OEM has moved on (LG, Dell) - you just won't get any firmware upgrades from the OEM as that WOULD require effort on their part. Same deal with 7.5 Tango.
    Do you have a reference to support this claim? I was under the impression that my old LG Quantum was stuck on 7.5 forever.
  5. #5  
    I don't know about the LG Optimus, but I have already figured out how to extract the parts of the rom image needed to make updated custom Roms for the LG Quantum. The part that I am stuck on is rebuilding the rom after adding the updated files. The LG rom image uses a format that's different from formats used with other windows phone device roms. Once I figure out the format and am successfully able to rebuild the (updated) rom, I will be happy.
    rom developer for Asus Mypal A6x6 and Axim X50 (and soon, LG Quantum too) and (former) Microsoft Student Insider

    My work is free for everyone's use, but if you wish to give a donation towards my work (I am a recent college grad working in what little spare time I have), you may do so (paypal email is toa649@myway.com).

    Check out my blog for news on mobile Windows and other tech: Catholic Tech Geek

    Students, check out Dreamspark for the tools you need and Imagine Cup if you want a challenge
  6. The_Traveler's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    32 Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Catholic Tech Geek View Post
    I don't know about the LG Optimus, but I have already figured out how to extract the parts of the rom image needed to make updated custom Roms for the LG Quantum. The part that I am stuck on is rebuilding the rom after adding the updated files. The LG rom image uses a format that's different from formats used with other windows phone device roms. Once I figure out the format and am successfully able to rebuild the (updated) rom, I will be happy.
    That's cool, thanks for the update. LG is re-entering the Windows Phone market, so I hope they will push out 7.8 as a result.
  7. The_Traveler's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    32 Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Catholic Tech Geek View Post
    I don't know about the LG Optimus, but I have already figured out how to extract the parts of the rom image needed to make updated custom Roms for the LG Quantum. The part that I am stuck on is rebuilding the rom after adding the updated files. The LG rom image uses a format that's different from formats used with other windows phone device roms. Once I figure out the format and am successfully able to rebuild the (updated) rom, I will be happy.
    Can you provide details as to the problem you're experiencing? I'm a developer also, perhaps myself or someone else can offer some input.
  8. MrSean490's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Traveler View Post
    Do you have a reference to support this claim? I was under the impression that my old LG Quantum was stuck on 7.5 forever.
    Sorry for the slow response, but I suppose anything I would've said to further validate my statement is now moot. Within 3 weeks all LG Optimus 7 phones should receive the update. I expect the same for the Quantum.

    I cannot predict any unexpected behaviour from the telcos, but from what I understand, it should be a non-issue.
  9. WhippedKream's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    323 Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSean490 View Post
    Sorry for the slow response, but I suppose anything I would've said to further validate my statement is now moot. Within 3 weeks all LG Optimus 7 phones should receive the update. I expect the same for the Quantum.

    I cannot predict any unexpected behaviour from the telcos, but from what I understand, it should be a non-issue.
    Yeah, i wrote a post on my optimus 7 update :) thx for your input. Although I now have an HTC 8X (found it for a great price off kijiji), it is good to know it's still supported.
  10. Simon McKenzie's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    #10  
    I don't have advice about rebuilding ROMs, but if all you want is to get Windows Phone 7.8 onto an LG phone, I used this tool from windowsphonehacker to update my LG Quantum. It took about an hour (and many phone reboots), but it's working flawlessly.

    Cheers,

    Simon

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-05-2013, 02:00 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-13-2012, 02:23 PM
  3. [Custom Rom] Lumiatrix^7 V4.3 for Lumia 800
    By bakakakakak in forum Nokia Lumia 800
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-12-2012, 04:55 AM

Posting Permissions