Windows 7.8 custom ROMS for LG

WhippedKream

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, this my first time posting in the forums but I have been a WP central member for quite some time :). I have the LG Optimus 7 and found out the sad sad news of the discontinuation of LG because they suck hard... So I was looking for the alternative, since im not made out of money, which was custom ROMS for 7.8. Nobody seems to have answered this question yet, "What about the LG 7.8 custom ROMS?!?!" Anybody know what is up? Thanks ahead of time! I love windows phone so much and just want that goodness :(

MrSean490

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
There are no custom ROMs available for LG windows phones, and do not expect any to come; most/almost all XDA modders do not own these phones. Nevertheless, Microsoft can & will push out a 7.8 update to all phones, even if a particular OEM has moved on (LG, Dell) - you just won't get any firmware upgrades from the OEM as that WOULD require effort on their part. Same deal with 7.5 Tango.

The_Traveler

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
There are no custom ROMs available for LG windows phones, and do not expect any to come; most/almost all XDA modders do not own these phones. Nevertheless, Microsoft can & will push out a 7.8 update to all phones, even if a particular OEM has moved on (LG, Dell) - you just won't get any firmware upgrades from the OEM as that WOULD require effort on their part. Same deal with 7.5 Tango.

Do you have a reference to support this claim? I was under the impression that my old LG Quantum was stuck on 7.5 forever.

Catholic Tech Geek

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about the LG Optimus, but I have already figured out how to extract the parts of the rom image needed to make updated custom Roms for the LG Quantum. The part that I am stuck on is rebuilding the rom after adding the updated files. The LG rom image uses a format that's different from formats used with other windows phone device roms. Once I figure out the format and am successfully able to rebuild the (updated) rom, I will be happy.

The_Traveler

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about the LG Optimus, but I have already figured out how to extract the parts of the rom image needed to make updated custom Roms for the LG Quantum. The part that I am stuck on is rebuilding the rom after adding the updated files. The LG rom image uses a format that's different from formats used with other windows phone device roms. Once I figure out the format and am successfully able to rebuild the (updated) rom, I will be happy.

That's cool, thanks for the update. LG is re-entering the Windows Phone market, so I hope they will push out 7.8 as a result.

The_Traveler

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

Can you provide details as to the problem you're experiencing? I'm a developer also, perhaps myself or someone else can offer some input.

MrSean490

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a reference to support this claim? I was under the impression that my old LG Quantum was stuck on 7.5 forever.

Sorry for the slow response, but I suppose anything I would've said to further validate my statement is now moot. Within 3 weeks all LG Optimus 7 phones should receive the update. I expect the same for the Quantum.

I cannot predict any unexpected behaviour from the telcos, but from what I understand, it should be a non-issue.

WhippedKream

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the slow response, but I suppose anything I would've said to further validate my statement is now moot. Within 3 weeks all LG Optimus 7 phones should receive the update. I expect the same for the Quantum.

I cannot predict any unexpected behaviour from the telcos, but from what I understand, it should be a non-issue.

Yeah, i wrote a post on my optimus 7 update :) thx for your input. Although I now have an HTC 8X (found it for a great price off kijiji), it is good to know it's still supported.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos