- 01-15-2013, 02:29 AM #1
Here in New Zealand Vodafone have confirmed that they have approved Windows 7.8 for their network and it is now down to Microsoft to release the update through Zune. I guess that means 1. Its not far away and 2. It likely needs to be carrier approved/tested first.
01-15-2013, 05:28 AM #3
- 995 Posts
Why does it supprise you that an update needs to be carrier approved?
If you were a carrier with thousands of phones, would you just blanket apply a Microsoft update, without at least checking it yourself? What happens if it goes wrong? How much will it cost you, if you get it wrong?
By the same measure, if you were Microsoft, would you want to accept liability for replacing thousands of phones if your update caused issues, by bypassing the carrier?
- 01-15-2013, 11:55 PM #6
- 01-16-2013, 07:02 PM #9
I'm guessing by the time I get 7.8 I'll already own a Lumia 920. I've got Carrier Unbranded/Unlocked so I should receive it when MS release. Knowing my luck though Three will find some way to block the update because I'm with them and it's not a phone you could ever get on their network (you had to buy SIM-free or on PAYG from a place like CPW).
- By djSupport in forum Windows Phone 8Replies: 1Last Post: 12-10-2012, 01:27 PM
- By Winterfang in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 4Last Post: 02-26-2012, 07:09 AM
- By DontHate707 in forum Upcoming & Rumored Windows PhonesReplies: 40Last Post: 01-31-2012, 10:33 AM
- By martin_strahilovski in forum Windows Phone AppsReplies: 18Last Post: 12-09-2011, 01:41 PM
- By Nickerz in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 20Last Post: 05-31-2011, 03:54 PM