7.8 likely needs to be carrier tested/approved

Stephen Vogel

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Here in New Zealand Vodafone have confirmed that they have approved Windows 7.8 for their network and it is now down to Microsoft to release the update through Zune. I guess that means 1. Its not far away and 2. It likely needs to be carrier approved/tested first.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Why does it supprise you that an update needs to be carrier approved?

If you were a carrier with thousands of phones, would you just blanket apply a Microsoft update, without at least checking it yourself? What happens if it goes wrong? How much will it cost you, if you get it wrong?

By the same measure, if you were Microsoft, would you want to accept liability for replacing thousands of phones if your update caused issues, by bypassing the carrier?

taymur khemesh

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
i think this is only applicable to models that are carrier branded, though i guess country variant Firmwares dont need it, just a thought (not an expert).

peropett

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
you were a carrier with thousands of phones, would you just blanket apply a Microsoft update
a14

Stephen Vogel

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Why does it supprise you that an update needs to be carrier approved?

If you were a carrier with thousands of phones, would you just blanket apply a Microsoft update, without at least checking it yourself? What happens if it goes wrong? How much will it cost you, if you get it wrong?

By the same measure, if you were Microsoft, would you want to accept liability for replacing thousands of phones if your update caused issues, by bypassing the carrier?

Not saying I'm surprised, just some folks on here have been hoping that carriers wouldn't need to be involved as they have had poor experiences in the past with their carrier being slow to approve updates.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm guessing by the time I get 7.8 I'll already own a Lumia 920. I've got Carrier Unbranded/Unlocked so I should receive it when MS release. Knowing my luck though Three will find some way to block the update because I'm with them and it's not a phone you could ever get on their network (you had to buy SIM-free or on PAYG from a place like CPW).

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3