Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. dootndo2's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
       #1  
    So, I got my Lumia 620 running Windows 8. I've got everything setup on the phone with the exception of the micro SD card. I pulled the micro SD card from my Samsung Focus (running Windows 7.5) and I believe it is part of the extended onboard storage still. I put it in my 620 and the card is not recognized. I put it in my laptop using a USB adapter and the drive is not recognized!

    How do I reset/format my Windows Phone 7.5 micro SD card so that I can use it on another device?

    Very confused.

    dootndo2
  2. bigkevbosky's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    497 Posts
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    #2  
    You'll probably need to get a Symbian Nokia phone to format it. Otherwise, you're probably out of luck and you'll have to spend the 10 bucks to get a new card.
  3. dootndo2's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkevbosky View Post
    You'll probably need to get a Symbian Nokia phone to format it. Otherwise, you're probably out of luck and you'll have to spend the 10 bucks to get a new card.
    But I can't see the drive on Windows 7. When you install a SD Card on a Windows 7 Phone, you have to restart it and it restores it to defaults and then adds the SD storage as an extension of the onboard drive. Windows Phone 8 works like a NORMAL device and sees it as a second drive.

    I can't imagine that this has rendered my 8GB micro SD card unusable outside the context of my Samsung Focus.

  4. pankaj981's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,540 Posts
    #4  
    Or insert that card in a camera and format it
  5. bigkevbosky's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    497 Posts
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by dootndo2 View Post
    But I can't see the drive on Windows 7. When you install a SD Card on a Windows 7 Phone, you have to restart it and it restores it to defaults and then adds the SD storage as an extension of the onboard drive. Windows Phone 8 works like a NORMAL device and sees it as a second drive.

    I can't imagine that this has rendered my 8GB micro SD card unusable outside the context of my Samsung Focus.

    From everything I've read, yeah, its pretty much made it useless. Like I said, some people report a Nokia Symbian phone can read the card and format it, and maybe some Windows Mobile 6.5 devices can as well, but other than that, no.
  6. dootndo2's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
       #6  
    OK, so we're all on the same page, the card is coming from a Samsung Focus with Windows 7.5. The Nokia is my new phone.

    How is it possible to still render it useless? Has anyone attempted to recover their SD card from ANY Windows 7.5 Phone?

  7. pankaj981's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,540 Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by dootndo2 View Post
    OK, so we're all on the same page, the card is coming from a Samsung Focus with Windows 7.5. The Nokia is my new phone.

    How is it possible to still render it useless? Has anyone attempted to recover their SD card from ANY Windows 7.5 Phone?

    Its a known behavior, the ones suggested here are workarounds, you can use any non-windows based hardware to format it for reuse, cameras, phones, etc. will be able to format it.
  8. dootndo2's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
       #8  

    So, I wanted to provide an update. I tried all kinds of ways and tools to format the SD card to no avail. I went online and saw that I could get a new card for less than $10. So, I went to the store and bought a new 16GB micro SD Card for $18. Seems wasteful to not be able to reuse the old card.

    I just couldn't see continuing to bang my head against the wall over this. Formatting a Windows 7.5 microSD card to reuse?



    dootndo2

Similar Threads

  1. About to purchase 822.. SD card questions
    By kirbybaker in forum Nokia Lumia 822
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-18-2013, 06:14 PM
  2. SD card question
    By ellajackson95 in forum Nokia Lumia 820
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-16-2013, 03:06 PM
  3. SD card question
    By mase123987 in forum Microsoft Surface for Windows RT
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-27-2012, 05:47 PM
  4. New phone - OK to use wireless only before activation?
    By davidkhou in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-29-2011, 05:18 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-10-2011, 04:48 PM

Posting Permissions