Old LG Quantum is updating to 7.8 now! Yay

Kaitian

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I've used SevenEighter to update my Quantum phone to 7.8 (7.10.8858.136) with success. It went through a series of updates which I believe did it about 3 times before finally settling on 7.8. Also I had changed the MobileOperator to BEL-CA from ATT-US which I assumed also contributed to making it work. So those who are wanting to make the jump can do it at their own risk anyways.

Doing it through Zune gave me issues which I was getting a 000FFFF error code and the solution to fix that was to wipe my phone which I wasn't willing to do. Hence when I found SevenEighter, it allowed me not to wipe my phone and keep all my data intact. So far I haven't had any issues yet.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Forgive me for sounding naive, but who gives a fat baby's a$$ what carrier is listed? As long as you have the proper update and you get your HSPA signal? I've had a couple of Quantums and the first thing I do is put the Telstra ROM in it to update and have Internet Sharing working without my carrier's consent. I wish all WP phones had the Quantum's MFG app and onboard reg edit.

CanyonJoe

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Mine is not allowing it to go as far as 7.8 it stopped at 7.10(8107) It says that it is up to date.

I had the same problem myself. Do a factory reset again (you won't lose any progress), unplug, input the MFG info once more, restart phone, enter airplane mode, plug back it and Zune will pick up where it left off. I had to go through three updates before I got to 7.8 (7.10.8858.136), but I did work.

Hope this helps!

Mark Coote

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
EDIT: Just completed the update using an ATT branded Quantum through editing the Registry

Thankfully, LG provided all the tools needed to change the registry, so while the update may not exist on the AT&T server, it does on Bell CA.

(Even though its relatively safe and easy, it is still at your own risk)
1. Start with these instructions
2. From Step 7 onward, in the input data field, enter in "BEL-CA" (without quotes) and press set
3. You can exit out of the app now by pressing the start button (MFG will now appear in your Apps list, but I usually just uninstall it after I'm done)
4. Restart your phone and set it to Airplane Mode
5. Check for Updates on Zune (I had to use the cable trick a total of 5 times for each update from 7720)
6. You should now have 7.8

Some notes:
-BEL-CA for the carrier as they are the only other operator besides ATT who have device support for an LG Quantum
-Your mobile service should not be disrupted as the device targeting info, from my understanding, is just how Zune recognizes your device
-You can change your MobileOperator back afterward if you feel safer
-Post your results!

i have two questions:
1) I have a unlocked dev unlocked att quantum and i am currently in jamaica and interested in this update. what do you mean by "(I had to use the cable trick a total of 5 times for each update from 7720)" because this is my daily driver and i cant afford to have in brick on me :I

2) i have a re-booting problem. any third party app that is used extensively causes the phone to re-boot (especially if i am listening to music and using the app; example supertube) have you EVER had this problem, heard about this problem? do u have any solutions for this problem and do you think windows 7.8 will fix this problem or make it worse? also i originally got the phone with no-do installed on it but ever since i updated to 7.5 i have had this problem. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP! one.

Berksgal

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I am also on AT&T and like to try this update. I am presuming that I should cable the phone to the pc and open Zune before beginning with step 1. Can someone please confirm? Thanks.

Catholic Tech Geek

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Am I the only one who is stuck on 8107 and unable to get further updates after debranding the phone (by setting the MobileOperator string to "000-88"; MobileOperator string was previously "ATT-US")?

Kaitian

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I am also on AT&T and like to try this update. I am presuming that I should cable the phone to the pc and open Zune before beginning with step 1. Can someone please confirm? Thanks.

Prior to the following:
Download SevenEighter

If you're on AT&T or a carrier other than Bell
1. Change your carrier through MFG (277634#*# is the password to use MFG & see instructions below if you don't know how to change carrier) to the carrier BEL-CA from ATT-US
2. Use SevenEighter to do the update (it skips using Zune).
3. Once updated to 7.8, go back to MFG and change BEL-CA back to ATT-US. MFG still works on 7.8. Also contrary to the "blog" of Catholic, 7.8 works fine and LG Quantum is already out of warranty anyways. (The limited warranty for the product extends for TWELVE (12) MONTHS beginning on the date of purchase of the product with valid proof of purchase, or absent valid proof of purchase, FIFTEEN (15) MONTHS from date of manufacture as determined by the unit’s manufacture date code.) AT&T sold them more than 15 months ago and ceased around then. My contract for my LG Quantum started in January 2011 and it just expired last month, well past the warranty period.

How to change carrier:
A-Launch MFG and enter the password 277634#*# when prompted for it.
B-Tap the Engineer Menu item.
C-Tap the Other Setting menu item.
D-the Edit registry menu item.
E-Set the input boxes on this menu as follows:
Select ROOT_PATH: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Input SUB_PATH: \System\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo\
Input KEY: MobileOperator
Select Data Type: STRING
Input Data: ATT-US
Select "Set"
Then double check and select "Query"
You should get a data string that says
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\platform\devicetargetinginfo\]
"mobileoperator" = ATT-US

Catholic Tech Geek

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Prior to the following:
Download SevenEighter

If you're on AT&T or a carrier other than Bell
1. Change your carrier through MFG (277634#*# is the password to use MFG & see instructions below if you don't know how to change carrier) to the carrier BEL-CA from ATT-US
2. Use SevenEighter to do the update (it skips using Zune).
3. Once updated to 7.8, go back to MFG and change BEL-CA back to ATT-US. MFG still works on 7.8. Also contrary to the "blog" of Catholic, 7.8 works fine and LG Quantum is already out of warranty anyways. (The limited warranty for the product extends for TWELVE (12) MONTHS beginning on the date of purchase of the product with valid proof of purchase, or absent valid proof of purchase, FIFTEEN (15) MONTHS from date of manufacture as determined by the unit’s manufacture date code.) AT&T sold them more than 15 months ago and ceased around then. My contract for my LG Quantum started in January 2011 and it just expired last month, well past the warranty period.

How to change carrier:
A-Launch MFG and enter the password 277634#*# when prompted for it.
B-Tap the Engineer Menu item.
C-Tap the Other Setting menu item.
D-the Edit registry menu item.
E-Set the input boxes on this menu as follows:
Select ROOT_PATH: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Input SUB_PATH: \System\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo\
Input KEY: MobileOperator
Select Data Type: STRING
Input Data: ATT-US
Select "Set"
Then double check and select "Query"
You should get a data string that says
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\platform\devicetargetinginfo\]
"mobileoperator" = ATT-US
On my blog post, I was going for the "better safe than sorry" approach (and the post covered more than just the quantum; you are more than welcome to post comments if you know something different than what I know). I did say that if you want to use alternate methods like seven-eighter, go right ahead, but be warned that there might be problems (due to misconfiguration). Anyway, since that post, I have grown impatient with AT&T so much that I've taken the route of changing the MobileOperator string to either unbranded or Bell-CA to get the update.

You do make a good point about the quantum's warranty with AT&T being expired by now. That post is due for an update, which I will hopefully take care of in the next day or two.

Honestly, I would go ahead and make a WP7.8 custom rom and then flash it since I have experience in the past with making custom roms for windows mobile devices, but the rom format (as far as I know) isn't supported by any of the current rom tools (the flash.bin file in the rom has a RA000F format).

Berksgal

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I rebranded to BEL-CA and was able to update to 7.10 (8107) but I could not get updates after that. Zune just gives me a message that my phone is up to date. I cannot see any difference in the phone other than now I have some stupid pre-installed photographs of numbers that flash through the pictures tile on my start screen instead of my own photographs. Joy! What I really want is the ability to use my custom ring tones and I still do not have that.

I am going to try disconnecting the internet while Zune is looking for the update to see if that helps.

Berksgal

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I would use the seven-eighter, but I don't understand what this means: "This is a XAP file; deploy it to your device using the developer tools or another sideloading application."
How do I deploy the file?

Berksgal

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I am giving up and getting either an HTC WP 8X or Nokia Lumia 920. I tried changing the carrier to BEL-CA and that got me two updates only. I tried the quick disconnect trick several times on several days, and got nothing. Then I tried the seven-eighter, but couldn't get it to work. I don't understand why. I watched YouTube tutorials that made it look simple. I followed the directions step by step, but absolutely nothing happened when I ran the program with my Quantum cabled to my laptop.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I am giving up and getting either an HTC WP 8X or Nokia Lumia 920. I tried changing the carrier to BEL-CA and that got me two updates only. I tried the quick disconnect trick several times on several days, and got nothing. Then I tried the seven-eighter, but couldn't get it to work. I don't understand why. I watched YouTube tutorials that made it look simple. I followed the directions step by step, but absolutely nothing happened when I ran the program with my Quantum cabled to my laptop.

I don't know what a "seven-eighter" is but the tools you need to de-brand are right on your phone. The Quantum has an onboard registry editor and you unlock, de-brand or whatever from there. See this tutorial: LG Quantum Hacks USE MFG!!! - xda-developers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mducros