Old LG Quantum is updating to 7.8 now! Yay

The_Traveler

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it was me sending LG an angry email letting them know that I've switched the a Nokia Lumia 920 because they support their customers better, or maybe it was Microsoft.

But, whatever it was. I downloaded Zune and plugged in my (fully reset (erased)) windows 7 LG Quantum (bought on first day of WinPho 7 release) and voila it started updating!!

Didn't expect that! I'll carry it around along side my 920 tomorrow to see how it works!

7.81.png
7.82.png
7.83.png

DONE!

WP_20130131_002.jpg
WP_20130131_004.jpg

Last edited:

danj210

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Wow I'm pretty amazed and glad!! I have the 900 but I already updated to 7.8 weeks back. I hope this means that a lot more phones got the update than expected!

Sotal

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
EDIT: Just completed the update using an ATT branded Quantum through editing the Registry

Thankfully, LG provided all the tools needed to change the registry, so while the update may not exist on the AT&T server, it does on Bell CA.

(Even though its relatively safe and easy, it is still at your own risk)
1. Start with these instructions
2. From Step 7 onward, in the input data field, enter in "BEL-CA" (without quotes) and press set
3. You can exit out of the app now by pressing the start button (MFG will now appear in your Apps list, but I usually just uninstall it after I'm done)
4. Restart your phone and set it to Airplane Mode
5. Check for Updates on Zune (I had to use the cable trick a total of 5 times for each update from 7720)
6. You should now have 7.8

Some notes:
-BEL-CA for the carrier as they are the only other operator besides ATT who have device support for an LG Quantum
-Your mobile service should not be disrupted as the device targeting info, from my understanding, is just how Zune recognizes your device
-You can change your MobileOperator back afterward if you feel safer
-Post your results!

Last edited:

rossart12

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Now running 7.8 on an AT&T Quantum after SevenEighter ended up doing most of the work...and loving the updated UI, plus the Tango features I never got.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
There is hope LG Quantum owners! Just completed the update on an ATT branded Quantum without having to flash a new ROM or use sever-eighter.

Thankfully, LG provided nearly all the tools needed to change the registry, so while the update may not exist on the AT&T server, it does on Bell CA.

(Even though its relatively safe and easy, it is still at your own risk)
1. Start with these instructions
2. From Step 7 onward, in the input data field, enter in "BEL-CA" (without quotes) and press set
3. You can exit out of the app now by pressing the start button (MFG will now appear in your Apps list, but I usually just uninstall it after I'm done)
4. Restart your phone and set it to Airplane Mode
5. Check for Updates on Zune (I had to use the cable trick a total of 5 times for each update from 7720)
6. You should now have 7.8

Some notes:
-BEL-CA for the carrier as they are the only other operator besides ATT who have device support for an LG Quantum
-Your mobile service should not be disrupted as the device targeting info, from my understanding, is just how Zune recognizes your device
-You can change your MobileOperator back afterward if you feel safer
-Post your results!

that's not an ATT branded quantum, after what you did it is now a Bell branded quantum. There is no non hacked solution for ATT.

Sotal

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Why sound so negative about it? :grin: (Yes there is no non-hacked solution I suppose)

It's a method that does not require a 3rd party download and it still gets an official update through Zune.

I'll make a concession that it might not be what AT&T might provide to get you up to 7.10.8858.136. However, by your own opinion you told me you don't believe that an update for the Sammy Focus will get pushed through from AT&T, so we should expect the same for LG, no?

Much more, I doubt if AT&T does do anything to it, it'll be very insignificant.

Take it as you like, but this phone still only accepts AT&T sim cards and I changed the MobileOperator back to ATT-US after the updates.

I just really wanted the phone to have 7.8 and I didn't want to wait for AT&T to sit on it for years, if they were planning to release at all!

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm not being negative, I'm being clear. You are not and it will confuse users who search for threads looking to update ATT branded phones. All you are doing is rebranding which is the same as debranding which is NOT an official update from ATT.

Sotal

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I updated the post. But realize people are look for solutions with what they have.

I won't digress too much but from what you posted in reply to me before couldn't this be construed as misleading?
i predict ATT won't push the updates for any phone other than the 900. You will have to debrand or reflash to an unbranded rom to get it.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Trip report, I just used Seven-Eighter and it only got me to 8779 for some reason. I kept trying and it just kept doing 8779. So I then switched the brand from ATT-US to BELL-CA as above and Zune finished the job and took me all the way to 7.8. I then branded back to ATT-US. So far looks to be working great.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I updated the post. But realize people are look for solutions with what they have.

I won't digress too much but from what you posted in reply to me before couldn't this be construed as misleading?

no because everything in that statement is true, ATT hasn't pushed updates and the only way to get it is to debrand.

money50021

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I cant get mine to update. Whenever i connect to zune, it says that there aren't any updates available. Has the update even officially come out? (I'm on at&t)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3