Chose wrong language when updating to WP7.8

brucesm

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Well, fixed it myself!! :smile:
Issue: When using Seven Eighter to directly update the cabs, I started of impatiently and just selected English(US) for the language pack and went ahead with the update. Update was successful but lots of apps/tiles stopped to work. My Zune backup was screwed so nothing to revert back to. In short - phone was toast! I even tried sending the language packs for English(UK) and other installed languages on my phone separately, but all kept failing.
Resolution: Got a hint from a mention by HeathCliff74 on XDA dev forums. The gist is, just like the updater updates the phone's OS files, it needs to sync-update the language files too, else they mismatch and when the new OS tries to load new language files, it fails, causing the apps to misbehave. So, to fix it, I had to update ALL the versions of the the English(UK) - the default language - on my phone. I started right away from NODO update for English(UK), the update resulted in message that it is already installed. Then I moved to Mango version of English(UK) and that installed fine! So that was the missing link for me. Then Adding 8112 and 8558 updates for Tango and beyond for English(UK), they all installed fine. Please NOTE that I had to be patient, installing these updates one at a time. And the patience paid off, my phone is back up and running!! :smile:

PLEASE NOTE: I can *confirm* that one needs the language pack files of *just* their default language, *unless* they plan to change the Display language/keyboard settings on their phone to some other language. So, as in my case, I just need English(UK) and just updated those files and everything works fine for me now.

XDA links for cabs:[CAB] Official WP7 Updates List up to WP 7.8 + ALL LANGUAGES complete + OEM updates - xda-developers

Thanks, I did the same thing, chose English US, not UK. Come settings items and marketplace stopped working. Installing the UK language cabs in order fixed the issues.

bor42

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Well I'm back online...I tried putting all CABs in one folder and sending them, no success. I remembered I have almost 2 year old backup lying around and decided to restore my phone to 7392. All looks great, English works and I decided to use Zune to at least upgrade to 7.5 or something. surprise surprise "your phone is already up to date". REALLY MS? REALLY?! Never again am I buying a branded phone.
I'll try pushing cabs now, wish me luck :)

bor42

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Damn...that's bad. I tried pushing cabs, I managed to push first cab but then started getting "two or more packages in the update contain the same file" error. I tried pushing the HTC cabs and now my phone stucks at HTC logo when booting. Guess I'll have to go gold card method way..
On a side note, it's fun using your old phone, that is dumb but still quicker than new Androids, hehe.

HNNNNNGHHH

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Damn...that's bad. I tried pushing cabs, I managed to push first cab but then started getting "two or more packages in the update contain the same file" error. I tried pushing the HTC cabs and now my phone stucks at HTC logo when booting. Guess I'll have to go gold card method way..
On a side note, it's fun using your old phone, that is dumb but still quicker than new Androids, hehe.

Not necessarily, but yes it is quicker that Android ONLY because you use .cab files or developer tools to deliver updates unlike Android, where you require root, knowledge on flashing .zip files to android, and/or ClockworkMod, TWRP, ODIN, SuperSU, etc. Not to be off-topic, but Android hacking IMO is way more satisfying and fun than WP hacking because there's multiple things you can do with its UI. Downside is that most devices running Android need different methods due to OEM's altering at the system level, making modifications for it a tad bit more difficult.

bor42

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I know about Android hacking and that there are more options, I never disputed that :)
What I was saying is that my old phone (SE K610) has faster GUI than many new cheap Androids, or is at least on par.

Anyway, I solved my problem with gold card and I flashed a custom ROM (this one: [ROM][25/11] Dynamics v2.0 - Newer WP7.8 and much more - xda-developers ) and my phone is now working again as it should. I stopped looking at new phones and am willing to wait for a next generation of WP devices because there simply isn't anything tempting in WP8 now that I have 7.8 start screen and Google as default search in IE.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium