3rd party Live tiles stuck since 7.8 update?

napkatz

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same issue over here. I just submitted a write-up to wmpoweruser.com. Hopefully they'll accept it. I'm hoping having the 7.8 botch-up on the front page of a couple websites might spur Nokia and Microsoft to release a fix.

dipayanster

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I am using 7.8 from December (updated from nokia care). No problem with live tiles as off now. I have nextgen reader, weather flow, tv show, baconit (live tile by back ground agent), alphajax, agent+icq, facebook (live tile by push) and cricbuzz (toast by push)
All is running without any problem since then (~2 months).
Had a minor problem regarding tile: I was using talk.to for IM, but suddenly the tile lost its image and turned black. repin/ unpin or rebooting or uninstall/ reinstall did not fix the problem. The push notification and live tile was working perfectly though, just it had no tile image. Same thing happened couple of times with tv show app, but then if I open the app, it refreshes the tile image and the it gets back to normal.

edit: the problem was with the talk.to app, they updated it couple of times, now its tile is ok. tile notification does not work well though, but to be fair it was problematic since the beginning, so nothing specific to 7.8

Last edited:

sigfrid696

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I've done further investigations...this is what i found.
I had the problem with some live tiles update and i decided to reset phone, in this way i resolved. Then i started reinstalling one by one the apps i needed. No problem until i installed an app that "broke" (if we can say in this way) the operating system update of the start screen, from that moment no app notification on the start screen, apart from "system notifications" as mail messages phone calls, which continued working. The named app is Angry Birds Roost by Nokia, after installing it asked me if i wanted push notification for the app, i said no and i had the result above described...I had a reset again, i installed as first Angry Birds Roost app, i said yes to push notifications, then i installed other apps and until now no problem.
I strongly advise to install "windows phone easy backup" utility and do a backup before installing apps that involve push notifications, until this bug will be fixed. Is there a channel to inform microsoft of this bug ?

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I just started noticing live tile issues yesterday. But I've noticed something strange about it. It seems like the background tasks for the tiles are actually running, but they're not able to get updates from the network. For example, I have Amazing Weather pinned to start. That tile shows the time that it was last updated. The time on the tile is keeping up to date, but the weather info (and the listed location) is not. So it seems like the background task is running so it updates the date on the tile, but it's not able to get the actual weather data so that part is stuck. It's the same thing with Feed Reader (google reader app). The time on the tile stays up to date, but the unread count does not update itself.

NBA Scores and Alerts app is completely stuck as well. That one uses push notifications.

HPDeskjet

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Since updating to 7.8 on my HTC Radar c110e the BBC News Mobile live tile has stopped updating. Uninstalling the app and reinstalling it has not solved the issue. I am also having the same problem with the WPCentral live tile and Facebook live tile.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Quick update here. Now my tiles that are updated by background agents seem to be working just fine. Tiles that use push are still broken though. The funny thing is that toasts are still working just fine. So for apps that have both tile and toast notifications, the toasts come in but the tile still won't update. That kind of goes along with what Jay posted in the front page article.

Doutorphil

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I have a LG Optimus 7 (Free) in Portugal, two days after the update to 7.8, most of my live tiles stop working and became static, Accuweather, XE currency, The daily beast...and so on, the only ones that still work are Engadget and WPCentral. After a Hard reset and reinstall, the problem presists.
And my music tile dont have live tile either.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
So as far as I can tell, MS hasn't even acknowledged the issue here. Does anyone know of any communications channel that MS is listening to, so we can make sure that somebody there knows about it? Or are we 7.8 users left in the dust?

This is starting to hurt app developers too. I'm seeing bad reviews on some apps complaining that the live tiles don't work on 7.8, even though it's not the developers' fault.

flapadlr_Nok900

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I have this issue on a Lumia 900 on ATT. I expected it to be more widespread as I am a very average user, top 50 apps probably. Who should I go to? ATT, Nokia or Microsoft? Thanks.

the_fly68

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
This is happening to my 3rd party tiles. They worked for a few days after 7.8 update but have since frozen. This is a fundamental feature of this OS and its broken. Unbelievable.
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Hidden Pineapple (developers of Rowi) have been retweeting users all day who fixed this issue by pinning the Bing Translator tile. You guys can check it out on their Twitter @rowiapp

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I got an update for the 'Breaking News' app which until now never had live tiles. Well now it does, and it was obviously compiled for 7.8 as it supports double wide tiles, but more interesting is that live tiles work for this app.

As I suspected Microsoft is going to expect all developers to recompile their apps for 7.8 and use reflectance for updating Live Tiles. Absolutely incredible that they would allow this to break so badly for old apps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon