Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 123
Like Tree36Likes
  1. akar33's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    66 Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by a5cent View Post
    I think you are obsessing over rather irrelevant things. Can you provide concrete examples of what you can not do with WP7 that you would like to? Many actually believe WP7 is still better than WP8 at this point. Jealous of a version number
    Quite true. I believe that WP7 right now is a better OS than WP8. Even though its based on an older kernel, from a consumer's viewpoint, it is more mature. This is why i'm still rocking the 900 with 7.8 and honestly, I love it!
    Residing, a5cent and Old_Cus like this.
  2. MrSean490's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    #27  
    I'd say it's finished growing, but it's not dead until your phone doesn't turn on any more.

    I will admit though, once mine does go, I'll be taking a solid look at android because by then it will be v5.0
    jabtano likes this.
  3. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSean490 View Post
    I'd say it's finished growing...
    Interestingly, it is still growing. Particularly the Lumia 800 is selling very well all over the world. There are more WP7 device owners every day. It's just growing slower than WP8. ;-)
    Thanked by:
  4. soumitro316's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    107 Posts
       #29  
    It may be growing but there isn't really any support from Microsoft is there?..no new apps n stuff...and Nokiaseems to be the only OEM who cares about their users.
  5. smoledman's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,307 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,360 Global Posts
    #30  
    The way things are going we're all gonna end up with iPhones in a month.
  6. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by soumitro316 View Post
    It may be growing but there isn't really any support from Microsoft is there?..no new apps n stuff...and Nokiaseems to be the only OEM who cares about their users.
    We get lots of new apps, devs still support it, and yes, Nokia still does a lot of great stuff for WP7. That's great, isn't it?

    Microsoft is likely no longer on board, that is true. But so what? What are you losing because of that? Nothing, at least not yet.
  7. MrSean490's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by a5cent View Post
    Interestingly, it is still growing. Particularly the Lumia 800 is selling very well all over the world. There are more WP7 device owners every day. It's just growing slower than WP8. ;-)
    Sale numbers are still on the up, sure, but from a development point of view (Operating system features, new killer apps etc). It's pretty much set. WP7 does now have a low barrier of entry which will open it up to other markets but within 2 years it'll probably tank in light of WP8. (Nokia did just announce a Lumia 520 WP8 @ ~$180)
  8. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSean490 View Post
    Sale numbers are still on the up, sure, but from a development point of view (Operating system features, new killer apps etc). It's pretty much set. WP7 does now have a low barrier of entry which will open it up to other markets but within 2 years it'll probably tank in light of WP8. (Nokia did just announce a Lumia 520 WP8 @ ~$180)
    I think you are right, yeah, except for the part about killer apps.

    As previously mentioned, WP7 just got Skulls of the Shogun, which is widely considered one of the best games on WP. I think what most are missing, is that as long as there is a market in which money can be earned, devs will service it. WP7 is now bigger than it ever was. That still isn't huge, but big enough to sustain it for a while to come.
    Thanked by:
  9. EauRouge's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    66 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,681 Global Posts
    #34  
    I think so, yes
  10. soumitro316's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    107 Posts
       #35  
    Official Twitter app just got updated....now supports double wide tile on WP 7.8:D..so maybe we WP 7 users still have some hope left..
    a5cent likes this.
  11. #36  
    What? This phenomenon hasn't occurred ever. So when you say your WP7 is dead, it doesn't turn on or it does turn on but shows face of Lady Gaga? I hope Microsoft stops killing phones like this because what's the point buying a phone that works and does everything it says on the box and then some, but then all of a sudden after 10-15 months stops doing all of that!?
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.

    Read the rules before you post. If you post, we will assume you've read this already.
    a5cent likes this.
  12. Rich White's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    #37  
    Best guess is this will become like Android and Apple. Portico compliant apps will be the last major upgrade. The user base is too small and the goal is to sell new phones every two years.

    Windows 8 phones will see Blue later this year and at best one more major update after that (my speculation) next year around this time and that will be missing HD features and some others that won;t work on the 920 era phones. By the time two new generations of hardware hits in Nov 2013 and then 2014 forget it. Developers will code for the new OS and hardware by Nov 2014. Then the initial 920s are off contract.
  13. Gambit11B's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    72 Posts
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by soumitro316 View Post
    Don't know whether to buy a WP 8 device or a bb next year...because it would be really disappointing if after I bought a WP 8 device Microsoft announces WP 9 and says existing devices won't be compatible...like what happened to me with my current WP 7 device
    Buy the BB device.....from the looks of things, BB is getting the apps/dev support that we've been "promised" a heck of a lot quicker. Just look at "Where's My Water?". That app only took 2 years to make it onto Windows platforms, yet has already been released for BB (and BB10 isn't even available in the US yet).
    "Rangers Lead the Way!"
  14. #39  
    i had Focus S & now i have Lumia 920, i do understand your frustration, but MS had a valid reason to not to update WP 7.5 to WP 8.0 because it was totally different kernel. And i am sure developers are not going to develop for a platform that is dead, if MS repeats this with WP 8.0, the can kiss good bye to mobile platform, it will be a joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by WasteSomeTime View Post
    This is why WP 8 isn't that appealing to me. If MS dropped WP 7 so quick and pretends that this is their first mobile OS to ever come out is ridiculous.

    Sent from my SGH-i677 using Foroplex
  15. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by Raghu Gundlapalli View Post
    ...but MS had a valid reason to not to update WP 7.5 to WP 8.0 because it was totally different kernel.
    I am a software developer. I have contributed to OS development (RTOS). Can you please explain to me how that is a valid reason? You might sight budget limitations, but IMHO there is no technical reason that stands in the way of that update occurring, you need only consider that both WP7 and WP8 run on ARMv7 based CPU's.

    That is like saying an OS that runs on Ivy Bridge (2012 x86 CPU model) can't run on a Sandy Bridge (2011 x86 CPU model). It's friggen' ridiculous. Logically, it's the exact same CPU, one of them is just somewhat faster at executing the exact same instructions. Sorry for picking on you. I've just seen this utter BS repeated once to often. Nothing personal.
  16. Bobert_123's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    102 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,157 Global Posts
    #41  
    I know WebOS is :(

    R.I.P.
    a5cent and xandros9 like this.
  17. jabtano's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    572 Posts
    #42  
    I think WP8 dead. look at the OEMS what are they doing? not much... Nokia? all low end middle range device one high end. If anything WP will become the low end OS. even if Nokia puts out another high end device it will be exclusive only which hurts almost as much as there exclusive apps help there cause.
    dgr_874 likes this.
  18. 1101x10's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    163 Posts
    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by jabtano View Post
    I think WP8 dead. look at the OEMS what are they doing? not much... Nokia? all low end middle range device one high end. If anything WP will become the low end OS. even if Nokia puts out another high end device it will be exclusive only which hurts almost as much as there exclusive apps help there cause.
    "In 2012, the global market for cellphones that cost $250 or less grew by 99 percent from 2011, and accounted for more than half of all cellphones sold worldwide, according to IDC.
    The upper-end segment of smartphones costing more than $250 grew by only 23 percent during the same period."
    a5cent likes this.
  19. travisel's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    182 Posts
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    #44  
    I went from WM6.5.7 to WP8 Portico OS and never had a chance to use WP7, WP7.5, WP7.8 platform.

    But what Microsoft did to me with WM6.5 will happen to you with WP7.8 I give it 9 months more till WP8 First birthday!

    Coming from WM6.5 I feel for you WP7.8 users!
    ATIV S is LIFE
  20. St_Deborah's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    113 Posts
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    #45  
    I hope not. I'm already disturbed @ the different support. I mean I guess it'd be no big deal if my NL900 was one of those devices that can run another operating system if desired in the long run like the N9 and HD2 (which 4 some reason seems to never die). Otherwise, besides lacking some apps and web abilities I could do on my Skyrocket, I like my Lumia. Sometimes when reading around, it does seem like WP7 just kinda got the boot. I'll never understand why the NL800 was upgraded to the NL 900 only for tge NL 920 to come out a few months later... But oh well.
  21. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by St.Deborah View Post
    Sometimes when reading around, it does seem like WP7 just kinda got the boot.
    I'd say your own personal experiences should be more valuable that what you gather from "reading around".

    Do you still get updates? Do you still get Nokia Support? How often have you wanted an app that is only available on WP8 (often, rarely, never)? Is there some killer OS feature you really want, that is only available on WP8? If you don't feel left behind in those areas (compared to WP8, not Android or iOS), then I don't think your device "got the boot".
  22. fatclue_98's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,645 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,774 Global Posts
    #47  
    You guys (and gals - Laura) think WP7 is dead? Hospice care maybe, but certainly not dead. I have a webOS Pre3, now THAT'S dead.
    xandros9 likes this.
  23. HNNNNNGHHH's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    182 Posts
    Global Posts
    703 Global Posts
    #48  
    For official support, yes. (With the exception for Nokia in most cases)

    When it comes to the developer ring, no.

    Sure, there's only a few custom ROM's out there for WP7.x but some offer interop, even full unlock. Don't even mention the multitude of homebrew apps on Bazaar...
  24. Abdul Rahman Noor's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    156 Posts
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    #49  
    Maybe its not dead *yet*, but it WILL be; and that's a reality which I can't understand why so many people have a hard time accepting.

    Sometimes a device or technology outlives its time and goes on to become a legend - like the Commodore 64 or VHS (you can still buy cassettes btw).
    Yet sometimes it dies without having lived it's full life - killed maybe by its maker or rendered obsolete by other tech. Or sometimes it's killed just because it wasn't worth investing into anymore.

    Yes, you bought your shiny Lumia 800/900 weeks before WP8 was announced and you're angry there's nothing new for it. We get it. But that's just one of the risks you took when choosing to becoming an Early Adopter.

    If you think you're angry, think about all the people who bought a Digital Audio Tape, HD-DVD player, PSP-Go, Kin phone, Logitech Revue (Google TV), or an hp TouchPad...
    Thanked by:
    Residing and Old_Cus like this.
  25. fatclue_98's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,645 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,774 Global Posts
    #50  
    At least the TouchPad still lives on with CM10. It's funny that the devices you mentioned are fairly recent. You should have seen what people were plunking down for a Betamax when minimum wage was $3.10/hr and a new Accord was $4,000.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. When is Windows Phone Central 156 coming?
    By Hiiiiiiiii in forum WindowsCentral.com - Site News, Feedback, Help
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-17-2013, 05:32 AM
  2. Why is Windows Phones third-party support so bad? NO EXCUSE!
    By Ratchet clank in forum General Microsoft News and Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-07-2013, 02:12 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-19-2012, 06:13 AM
  4. Is Windows Phone putting all its eggs in the Nokia basket?
    By Mitlov in forum Upcoming & Rumored Devices
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-14-2012, 10:17 PM
  5. Is Windows Phone 7 worth waiting for?
    By mtg1974 in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-14-2010, 08:02 PM

Posting Permissions