Strange behaviour - hacked?

nzdave

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi all, first post as I only found this forum tonight while trying to figure out what my phone's doing. Hope you don't mind - I am a big windows phone fan and I continue to use my HTC HD7 with Windows 7.5

A while back my phone downloaded near 800mb of data (when not connected to wifi) which ended up costing me. I never figured out what did it as I have minimal apps and no updates were done (that I know of). I have disabled background apps in the settings too.

Lately the back cover has been getting warm on the very odd occasion and battery draining a tad faster, even though I haven't been using it. (Perhaps it's getting a bit old, I can't discount this, but it is seldom).

Today it sent out a whole lot of text messages to random people. The texts were very random and old. For example my neighbour received a text that I'd sent him 15months ago. I phoned my provider and it doesn't seem to be a problem at their end.

My first thought was virus but I have read the topics re: this, and read that it's extremely near impossible to hack a windows phone.

Or is it? This is all very strange! Does anyone wiser than me have any thoughts?

Much appreciated
Dave

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi all, first post as I only found this forum tonight while trying to figure out what my phone's doing. Hope you don't mind - I am a big windows phone fan and I continue to use my HTC HD7 with Windows 7.5

A while back my phone downloaded near 800mb of data (when not connected to wifi) which ended up costing me. I never figured out what did it as I have minimal apps and no updates were done (that I know of). I have disabled background apps in the settings too.

Lately the back cover has been getting warm on the very odd occasion and battery draining a tad faster, even though I haven't been using it. (Perhaps it's getting a bit old, I can't discount this, but it is seldom).

Today it sent out a whole lot of text messages to random people. The texts were very random and old. For example my neighbour received a text that I'd sent him 15months ago. I phoned my provider and it doesn't seem to be a problem at their end.

My first thought was virus but I have read the topics re: this, and read that it's extremely near impossible to hack a windows phone.

Or is it? This is all very strange! Does anyone wiser than me have any thoughts?

Much appreciated
Dave

Welcome to WPCentral! You have my respect, using a first-generation 7 device.

Well WP7 devices have been jailbroken, its the 8 ones that are proving hard/er to crack.

It's likely not hacked or virus-infected as who would target WP7? Among other reasons.

I'm not sure whats going on. It could be its been possessed by a ghost. But actually, it could be its just getting old and something might be going south. But then again its just plain bizarre. I'm at a loss to explain what could be happening in detail or anything.

nzdave

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi, thanks for your time in getting back to me. This morning at 6am it decided to send blank emails from one of my email accounts on there.

I can get a good deal on a Nokia Lumia 820 right now so I might just have to replace it!

Dave

Draganta

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
That is really strange! I suggest you to try a hard reset (will wipe all your personal data and info from it!) and see if it is better then. Replacing it is also not a bad idea, as WP7 is very old, and no longer supported or updated.

nzdave

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
That is really strange! I suggest you to try a hard reset (will wipe all your personal data and info from it!) and see if it is better then. Replacing it is also not a bad idea, as WP7 is very old, and no longer supported or updated.
Hi, thanks for your reply. I got a really good deal on a Lumia 820 so I just bought it. Am just backing everything up on Zune as we speak.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos