Can I upgrade my Windows 7 64bit edition to Windows 8.1 and then re-install it on a new laptop?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Can I upgrade my windows 7 64bit edition to windows 8.1 and then re-install it on a new laptop?

Hello, I currently have a windows 7 ultimate 64 bit edition (retail license, on DVD) on my laptop and I want to buy a new laptop. The new laptop isis compatible with windows 8.1, but not with windows 7. I know I can update my windows to 8.1 on the old laptop, but is there a way that after doing this I can install it on my new laptop? Do i need a DVD , or will the windows 8.1 product key suffice?

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Can I upgrade my windows 7 64bit edition to windows 8.1 and then re-install it on a new laptop?

Both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 are eligible for free upgrade to Windows 10 until the end of July. I'd recommend upgrading both of them to Win10.

AndreiStancescu

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
Re: Can I upgrade my windows 7 64bit edition to windows 8.1 and then re-install it on a new laptop?

Thanks for the reply, but if I want to update it to windows 8.1, can I do that and then transfer it to the new laptop? How do I transfer it, then? Should I download the windows installation files on a memory stick and use it for the new laptop?
Thank you!

Last edited:

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

I'm not sure I entirely understand your question.

The new laptop you are buying already has Windows 8.1? If you want to reinstall Windows 8.1 on that PC, you'll need installation media to do a complete reinstall. You can find ISOs of Windows installation media if you look around.

However, you won't be able to legally install Windows 8.1 on the Windows 7 PC unless you buy a Product Key for the old laptop.

AndreiStancescu

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site

No, the new laptop has Free Dos, it has no OS. The thing is that it doesn't work with Windows 7, but with Windows 8.1.
On my old laptop I have Windows 7. I want to upgrade it to 8.1 and then install the 8.1 on the new laptop. Can I do this?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

No. You can't buy a license and install on old... Then transfer license to new.

Is there some reason you can't install 8.1 directly on the new machine?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

And I'm not sure why a machine that accepts 8.1 can't accept 7.

I'm confused what that issue is about.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium