Guide: Reset your Lumia

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
If you need to factory reset your Lumia and the screen is working.
Follow this simple screenshot guide for Lumia WP8.0\8.1 phones:

wp_ss_20140428_0013.pngwp_ss_20140428_0014.png

Flick from your homescreen to the applist tap settings (WP8 or WP8.1)

wp_ss_20140428_0007.png

Settings can be opened from notification also (WP8.1 only)

wp_ss_20140428_0008.pngwp_ss_20140428_0009.png

Move down the list in settings to find "about" and tap

wp_ss_20140428_0010.pngwp_ss_20140428_0011.png

"reset your phone" will available on very bottom

wp_ss_20140428_0012.png

tapping reset brings up this dialog
accept to return to the last firmware downloaded to your device

*A back-up is recommended right before resetting.
The battery should be at full charge prior to returning to factory settings.
A full (Hard reset) can take up to 20 minutes depending on your system files.
Note*
"This won't downgrade your phone from 8.1 to 8.0"

archimess

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I hard reseted my phone and now i cant understand the startup language. How to change it before going onwards? (I really hope someone sees this fast.)

archimess

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
its Portuguese, i know that. But i fuc*ed up. I did hard reset for a second time after, and now i can't reset my phone. I used google translate the second time.
As i know there is no way to restore your windows phone after that. Any chance I'm wrong?

archimess

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Now my phone in the about menu is not letting me to reset my phone. There are some Demo Content stuff in the app menu, and in the about menu instead of the reset button there is update demo content, wtf happened?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Not sure why the phone couldn't be reset more than twice.

I'd try the volume down+power button+camera button at the same time method with your 820.
Have the phone on a charger while trying.

archimess

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I had to take back my 820 to WP8 with Nokia Software Recovery, and now updating to 8.1. Hope that the demo mode won't happen again.
This was not cool at all. Still don't get why the startup screen displays Portuguese. Maybe the phone was meant for that market idk.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
He had a phone with a demo rom on it, it was bound to happen unless him resetting the phone magically turned the rom into a demo rom which is highly unlikely.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
He had a phone with a demo rom on it, it was bound to happen unless him resetting the phone magically turned the rom into a demo rom which is highly unlikely.

Wow weird.
I have never heard of this until now.
What would be the history of the device?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Wow weird.
I have never heard of this until now.
What would be the history of the device?

Not sure but the op would know it better, i guess he/she bought it used from someone. He/she could either flash it to a non-demo rom of the same variant (rm-xxx) and it would work as expected or contact Nokia/Microsoft and let them know that he/she has a demo device (retailers aren't supposed to sell these devices) so they can help, who knows they might end up giving a new devices in return

archimess

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I'm not really active on the forums, so I'm seeing this just now.
I bought my phone, new, from a retailer with a great reputation and I was the one opening the box.
This is not a demo device, it was just a bug with the RC WP8.1 on the first update, that made the phone download a demo version of a ROM, when you restart your phone more then 2 times in one day.
As people on Microsoft's WP forums informed me, this is fixed with the second 8.1 update, but I don't wanna risk it again. It opens too much work.

Sorry for the late response. I hope I've cleared everything up.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Returns the phone to the last firmware version installed on the phone.
WP 8.0>8.0
WP 8.1 Preview>8.1 Preview

WP8.1(Cyan) Update1 Preview>?

Reason Being Last know firmware version was Cyan with 8.1 and the GDR1 is not Firmware just OS and I am also considering to go back to 8.1 out of DP.

I wanted to chk out Cortana and I think I would like to wait for her when it gets here in Aus and not the US version ( If I read it right somewhere on WPCentral not long to go)

Snippyr1

May 22, 2017
Visit site
I did a hard reset on my windows 8.1 lumina phone cause I was gonna give it to my friend after I hard reseted it I turned it off and gave it to her when she turned it on it showed a screen that it wanted a verication code when I had it it worked fine I never had a problem with it up until I factory reseted it when I first got it from somebody a year ago I factory reset and it went through just fine I was only using it with WiFi it's a ATT phone but the person I got it from had a cricket service account with it how do I get past the verication code

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb