Developer Preview Program - Please read first post before asking questions

Araragi

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Re: Developer Preview Program - What Exactly Is It?

After I get the update through the Preview program, can I install glance screen on my Lumia?
I heard the glance screen app got updated for windows phone 8.1 but I can't find it in the store.
Or does glance come with the update?

Kashyapjani

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I got a message that there was an update available on my Lumia 920 with developer preview program activated.
After i started the update, the system reboots. but now i see the gears rotating, but the update is not finish the install.
so now my Lumia has become useless.

Anyone knows what to do? I tried a reboot, but the update stops everytime at the same point

Kind regards,

Erik

Must be the December firmware update. Wait for them gears even if they stop rotating, the phone WILL start.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

After I get the update through the Preview program, can I install glance screen on my Lumia?
I heard the glance screen app got updated for windows phone 8.1 but I can't find it in the store.

Glance wouldn't be found in the user-accessible portions of the store as it is a system settings app for a specific OEM.

The best way to check for those (at least in my opinion) is an app called SysApp Pusher. It allows you to more easily find updates for those components. :)

Araragi

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site

Hmmm, if I can't get glance on the phone right after the update it's a deal breaker ^~^
If someone can confirm that it will be there I'm doing this for sure.

It's my sister's phone btw, she got used to glance, if it's not there I'm going to die for sure.
I've yet to get a WP, if I like the update I'm aiming for a 925.

Araragi

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site

I have shown her the changes in 8.1, she likes them and wants the update.
Thing is that she uses glance as a night clock and that she would miss it a lot.
This is not helpful, I'll just ask once someone has tried it out after april 10th.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
So it's not helpful that I told you directly how to find updates for all the Nokia settings applications? Ok.

Not to mention this is an update...it doesn't erase the phone and doesn't erase the Nokia apps for these settings. That's just basic knowledge...

*sighs* why do I bother... :(

Araragi

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site

Is Glance installable on windows phone 8.1 after I put the update on a Lumia 920? Y or no? -> that was my question
What's the use if I can check for updates but don't find the glance app? If it's not there in the first place, how do I update it?
Reverting to and older firmware is not possible afterwards.

So yeah, I'll just wait and ask after April 10th if no one knows.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

I already answered that. The update doesn't uninstall glance or any other Nokia specific settings.

It is an update not a fresh install.

Do you reinstall Office on Windows every time you install the monthly updates? No.

This doesn't update the firmware. It is just an OS update. The current firmware remains installed and new firmware updates come later.

How many other ways can I say this?

Can someone else give it a try maybe as I feel that I'm speaking perfectly clear English here...

Araragi

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site

owhkay, thx
sorry for the confusion i caused, kinda moody today since I already had to deal with... people v.v
it should be updateable then so i'll give it a try

Foma Kiniaev

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site

I already answered that. The update doesn't uninstall glance or any other Nokia specific settings.

It is an update not a fresh install.

Do you reinstall Office on Windows every time you install the monthly updates? No.

This doesn't update the firmware. It is just an OS update. The current firmware remains installed and new firmware updates come later.

How many other ways can I say this?

Can someone else give it a try maybe as I feel that I'm speaking perfectly clear English here...

If you update OS from win 7 to Win 8 on PC you may expect some programms stop running. Wp 8 to Wp 8,1 its not just like Windows update, its like new versi?n of OS (i think). Thatd why there are so many questions. Althogh most of them were already addressed in this thread

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

No worries. There seems to be a lot of moody people lately.

I hear you on the people thing. I've actually thought about moving to a nearby village with only 20 residents and it requires either a 3 hour boat ride or a plane to access...and that's here in the US. So hard to find places like that sometimes here.

batkingnz

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site

Araragi: Like the man said. Updating through the dev preview will not remove glance.

repeat. Will not remove glance.

edit: looks like I'm a bit late to the party ;)

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

If you update OS from win 7 to Win 8 on PC you may expect some programms stop running. Wp 8 to Wp 8,1 its not just like Windows update, its like new versi?n of OS (i think). Thatd why there are so many questions. Althogh most of them were already addressed in this thread

Yes and no. Windows Phone is much more locked down than its desktop brethren. Think of this more as a service pack than a new OS.

As an aside I do 7 to 8 updates on machines all the time and rarely does anything break.

Now XP to 8 sure, but even Vista to 8 installs can be done without anything breaking :)

Foma Kiniaev

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site

Yes and no. Windows Phone is much more locked down than its desktop brethren. Think of this more as a service pack than a new OS.

As an aside I do 7 to 8 updates on machines all the time and rarely does anything break.

Now XP to 8 sure, but even Vista to 8 installs can be done without anything breaking :)
Regarding service packs - after using win 8.1 preview I had to re install all the programms after win 8.1 commercial release....

And remeber that not all the apps for gdr 3 are able to run on gdr 2... The same ****may**** happen with wp8.1 update, maybe some Apps will have to be somehow updated to run new versi?n. I beleive for these who have concerns the best is to wait some hands on reviews once Wp 8.1 dev prev is on air

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Regarding service packs - after using win 8.1 preview I had to re install all the programms after win 8.1 commercial release....

And remeber that not all the apps for gdr 3 are able to run on gdr 2... The same ****may**** happen with wp8.1 update, maybe some Apps will have to be somehow updated to run new versi?n. I beleive for these who have concerns the best is to wait some hands on reviews once Wp 8.1 dev prev is on air

That's not the same thing and you are being intentionally dishonest pretending that it is as regards the desktop preview version of the 8.1 update as that was not final RTM code and this is. Microsoft even made it abundantly clear that the Windows 8.1 Preview bits for desktop were not final, should not be used in a standard environment and were only meant for testing with a loss of desktop app data to be expected in order to install the final bits.

On top of that of course some apps meant for GDR3 wouldn't run on GDR2. However versions of apps from GDR2 ran perfectly fine on GDR3.

It's like you're trying to be wrong on purpose in every way possible.

Foma Kiniaev

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site

That's not the same thing and you are being intentionally dishonest pretending that it is as regards the desktop preview version of the 8.1 update as that was not final RTM code and this is. Microsoft even made it abundantly clear that the Windows 8.1 Preview bits for desktop were not final, should not be used in a standard environment and were only meant for testing with a loss of desktop app data to be expected in order to install the final bits.

On top of that of course some apps meant for GDR3 wouldn't run on GDR2. However versions of apps from GDR2 ran perfectly fine on GDR3.

It's like you're trying to be wrong on purpose in every way possible.
Its not my intention to be dishonest, actually I cant be dishonest since Im a complete "0" in Mobile OSs. What Im speaking about are concerns that I had before and maybe other people may have. Have you seen how many people is still undecided regarding preview? I'm trying to explain why I was and maybe somebody who reads this would get things clear.

What I should appreciate is support of people like you who do explain how and why the staff really works with Mobile os. Thank u

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
My apologies then for the incorrect assumption.

I have seen that and there are a lot of combative folks around lately and my apologies once more for assuming you were one of them.

Foma Kiniaev

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site

My apologies then for the incorrect assumption.

I have seen that and there are a lot of combative folks around lately and my apologies once more for assuming you were one of them.
no problem, i'm new here.. Will try to explain myself better in future 😊

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

I think the key question being asked here, is, "Is it safe to install the preview?" To that question, the answer is definitely, "Yes."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb