WP 8.1 Custom Dictionary

bleargh

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone (with the SDK or an actual copy of Preview) know if MS stopped censoring what we can add to our personal dictionary?

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I think he means the fact that swearing is an issue. Swears are included in Windows Phone's dictionary, but the software has it blacklisted to never auto-correct to. For words that the phone does not recognize, you generally can add them as custom words (like you would on any other platform), and it will autocorrect to those properly. Because of that first part though, there is no way around the phone's censorship other than to type the word exactly right every single time.

That hasn't changed in 8.1 and most likely will only get worse as people start using the swipe keyboard.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
One can add his/her own word for instance if I want to add my own name I. Dictionary (word flow ) , I typed my name and tap it on it to highlight it , there will be a plus button to add the word in word flow dictionary.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think he means the fact that swearing is an issue. Swears are included in Windows Phone's dictionary, but the software has it blacklisted to never auto-correct to. For words that the phone does not recognize, you generally can add them as custom words (like you would on any other platform), and it will autocorrect to those properly. Because of that first part though, there is no way around the phone's censorship other than to type the word exactly right every single time.

That hasn't changed in 8.1 and most likely will only get worse as people start using the swipe keyboard.
I actually think this current policy is better. It is possible to use any word one wants as long as it is spelled correctly. I wouldn't like the possibility of "duck" getting autocorrected to something else by accident, due to addition of custom words.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
That'd be a great policy.... If the user wasn't blocked from ever adding those words to the custom dictionary. All Microsoft has to do is to completely remove them from the personalization list. That way, they aren't recognized as words at all by users who don't want them, and those who do can add it to their custom dictionary.

As it is now, both groups of people are being censored.

Last edited:

bleargh

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
All Microsoft has to do is to completely remove them from the personalization list. That was, they aren't recognized as words at all by users who don't want them, and those who do can add it to their custom dictionary.
This exactly! If YOU don't want to use those words that's fine, don't add them, but don't tell me what I can't use on mine.

frogman44

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I know this is a fairly old thread, but the issue doesn't seem to have been corrected. And it's not just profanity. Why can't we add an email address to the dictionary? I type my email address multiple times a day, and it's incredibly annoying that I can't just highlight it and save it in the user dictionary. Or at least "gmail", without ALWAYS autocorrecting it to "Gmail". Nobody I know ever types their email address with a capital G. While I'm at it, how about the ability to remove words individually? There are some words that it uses in autocorrect over and over, which I would never type. After dozens and dozens of times having to go back and fix it's corrections, I'd like to just remove those words altogether, since it doesn't seem smart enough to figure out that I never use them.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it works correctly with wordflow but I thought that came along with smiley addition to wordflow.
Sent from my RM-994_eu_euro1_219 using Tapatalk

JobSteves

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone (with the SDK or an actual copy of Preview) know if MS stopped censoring what we can add to our personal dictionary?

ybe9yte3.png

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
My posts on this from April were incorrect. You can't press the add button to add swears to the dictionary, but it learns them automatically fairly quickly (after 3-5 uses or so).

I believe there was a front page article about it as well.

Eric Badger

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Yep, you can't add swear words because the system already knows them - they're just flagged. If you want to use them, just send a few messages with the words spelled out and they'll light up for you

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Still annoying that you can't add email addresses to your dictionary. And no matter how many times I type "AT&T" my phone just never learns. Or "iOS". How hard can this be???

Alec Mather

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Does anybody know how to add an email address to the learned words function in WP8.1? This is a very frustrating glitch in an otherwise very good keyboard.

cmih

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I know this is a fairly old thread, but the issue doesn't seem to have been corrected. And it's not just profanity. Why can't we add an email address to the dictionary? I type my email address multiple times a day, and it's incredibly annoying that I can't just highlight it and save it in the user dictionary. Or at least "gmail", without ALWAYS autocorrecting it to "Gmail". Nobody I know ever types their email address with a capital G. While I'm at it, how about the ability to remove words individually? There are some words that it uses in autocorrect over and over, which I would never type. After dozens and dozens of times having to go back and fix it's corrections, I'd like to just remove those words altogether, since it doesn't seem smart enough to figure out that I never use them.

Very well said.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05