VPN for WP 8.1 Questions

cysuresh

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Most of the people working away from home country are using VOIP calls to call their family to save roaming and excessive international call charges. But the careers to save their business blocking all the good VOIP clients (I meant especially SKYPE). VPN is the only way forward. I was waiting since WP 8 launch for this feature (currently using Windows 8.1 pc or nexus 7 for avail vpn services). Now we are going to get this feature in a day or two in WP 8.1 through developers preview. Here are my questions,

1) VPN in 8.1 will work in which way, like android (every time open app and connect) or iOS style (set a profile and make on/off whenever you want) or Windows 8.1 pc style (set a profile click connect/disconnect whenever you want)?
2) Is there any new VPN apps for WP 8.1 we will get along with developer preview? (I mean any one seen the VPN service ads supporting WP 8.1)
3) Can I use my work laptop login credentials to connect?

Thanks in advance,

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
From what I have understood till now

1) VPN in 8.1 will work in which way, like android (every time open app and connect) or iOS style (set a profile and make on/off whenever you want) or Windows 8.1 pc style (set a profile click connect/disconnect whenever you want)?
The Keynote video suggests you have to turn it on/off manually when needed. You can keep the toggle button in the Action centre, if you want

2) Is there any new VPN apps for WP 8.1 we will get along with developer preview? (I mean any one seen the VPN service ads supporting WP 8.1)
Not sure if apps are needed. You can use regular VPN credentials and use them on the phone, like you would on the computer

3) Can I use my work laptop login credentials to connect?
That depends on your work infrastructure. Most companies allow VPN only from office laptops. Also, depends on the standards used. If your office laptop uses Windows default VPN client, chances are, the standard would be supported on the phone too. However, my last company used Cisco SSL VPN/Cisco Anyconnect VPN which explicitly required a client to be installed on the laptop. So chances are, such connections won't be supported natively on the Phone.

wizll

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah wondering if there is any API for Cisco to build an anyconnect client for VPN. Nice that there is some support for VPN now, but useless for my company's Cisco anyconnect. IOS has an anyconnect app that hooks into the IOS VPN api for VPN connectivity.

canyamo

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
i know a provider who supports IKEv2, but it still doesn't work on my 920. it says the login credentials are wrong, but they are not, as they work on my surface. i think the vpn implemenation on wp8.1 is very poor...

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
i know a provider who supports IKEv2, but it still doesn't work on my 920. it says the login credentials are wrong, but they are not, as they work on my surface. i think the vpn implemenation on wp8.1 is very poor...

So the initial implementation is meant to work with IKEv2/IPSEC, but has the ability to use apps from other providers also. I'd really like someone to make an OpenVPN if possible, but I doubt it will happen. Other people like Juniper/Cisco/etc. will likely make clients. This is a preview, it's not a the final version...

Bernd Vantyghem

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Last edited:

Gh0s7

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Why no PPTP/L2TP VPN support? :(
Most (including my VPN provider) does not support IKEv2 so major loss.

Yeah, this is something unexpected.
All this time to give us the VPN support and then there's no PPTP/L2TP support.

Is it too hard?

I'm quite speechless now.

jonnyqQ

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone actually been able to get SonicWall MobileConnect working? I was on the phone with a SonicWall tech today and he said he's been getting many complaints and that the OS needs a fix for it to work.

cysuresh

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
@all I had tried hide.me VPN, yes it is working well in wifi and cellular as well, I had used free trial. Prior to that I tried vpntraffic.com paid one, but it is failed and no support from them as well.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre