[Official] Initial thoughts on Developer Preview of WP8.1

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I tried Cortana for an hour and she is really fun to be with. Unfortunately, I must turn on "Location Service" for Cortana to work. So I uninstalled her by changing region again. Location Service + Cortana = Battery Drain.

Music Hub is terrible. Album art does not work.
App list is pain in the eye
Some apps like settings, facebook. Does not close when you press back

Sher Allen

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
absolutely ecstatic about this update on my AT&T L920. I love it, although there are a couple of things I don't like. First I miss my "favoriting (heart symbol) on songs in xbox music. Also, I think I have come across a bug where my screen was completely unresponsive this morning and my phone did not want to do a soft reset, 3rd times a charm-it soft reset and I have not had a problem since. I love the backgrounds, the extra row of tiles, the notification center is okay-I really don't care whether I have it or not to be honest. I am in love with Cortana as I am sure all the rest of you are as well. Also with the WPCentral App I was seeing pics where it was translucent but it wasn't working on mine.. I uninstalled and reinstalled and that has seemed to have fixed it.

TuxedoST

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Overall, I like it. I really really miss the old picture hub. It was prettier and more useful. Same with messaging hub. Having said that, I understand what Microsoft is doing, I just hope they can quickly get third party support and fix their own separate apps to bring back the pretty/functionality.

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Good:

1. Extra tiles is nice.
2. Coloring of tiles is a bit better.
3. Background tiles are neat.
4. Notification Center is well-done.
5. Separate volume controls are a great idea.

Bad:

1. Music hub is horrid.
2. Games hub no longer serves a function (can't uninstall/pin from it, and the games are in the app list, so what's it there for?)
3. App list is a cluttered mess with the games mixed in.
4. System app tiles (hubs, etc.) don't change with the background photo, meaning the background photo idea's ruined because the solid tiles cut a bunch of the image out.
5. Can't open Bing from the lockscreen.

having the same problem. Games are not listed in Game hub. The error message is "Couldn't open that. Try again"

zeke009

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
Re: Initial thoughts on Developer Preview of WP8.1

Good
  1. Using the 3 columns on the 920 takes some getting used to. It's nice to have that much on screen, but it can tough to read at times... but I still like it.
  2. Cortana is cool, I haven't played with it too much yet.
  3. Notification center is better than expected and very useful with the shortcuts
  4. IE got better, especially being able to share open tabs across multiple devices
  5. Far too many things to list here (wallpapers were a nice twist)
Bad
  1. I was disappointed to see the screen flicker on the 920 was still present when on a call. Anytime your hand passes over that sensor, it can be frustrating. It has to a Nokia firmware issue.
  2. Battery life isn't as good in the preview as it was prior, but I am sure there are some fixes that will be applied before the final release is pushed (with new firmware).
Wait and See
  1. I'm on the fence about having all the games appear in the menu, but it's a good reason to get used to the search option.
  2. I was hoping some of the stock apps had that little bit extra in them so I wouldn't need alternates. However, the calendar live tile still doesn't show enough to be the primary for me.
  3. Let's see what those MS app updates contain before digging on those (Music).
  4. Lots of apps need updates to work properly (Good Messaging), but those will come with time.
Over all, I really like it! This is a huge step forward in so many areas, it's great to see the One Microsoft vision start coming together.

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
My Game Hub now does not shows any games in the collection. The error message is "Couldn't open that. Try again."

I tried sot reset by Power button and volume down. Game hub still does not shows the game in the collection. Rebooting also does not work.

myoujin

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
My Game Hub now does not shows any games in the collection. The error message is "Couldn't open that. Try again."

I tried sot reset by Power button and volume down. Game hub still does not shows the game in the collection. Rebooting also does not work.
Same here. Happen to me after I hard reset.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I noticed "Games" updated right after I installed 8.1. I'm not sure if that is searchable in the marketplace or not, but it could be part of the issue?

Version 2.0.1404.11000. Can you go to marketplace - history, and see if it just updated after 8.1?

Marius Onofrei

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I've updated my Lumia 720 yesterday, UK based. No major issues, just small nuisances that have already been reported. One point though - the phone was kind of slow for 1-2 hours, even with a restart. Must have been indexing something, but that's definitely gone now.

I'm happy with the update, still testing battery life.

MO

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I noticed "Games" updated right after I installed 8.1. I'm not sure if that is searchable in the marketplace or not, but it could be part of the issue?

Version 2.0.1404.11000. Can you go to marketplace - history, and see if it just updated after 8.1?

More now...

4yne3uqy.png

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

vaderag

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
So, I'm sincerely disappointed. Have tried Cortana, it's nice, but not willing to sacrifice keyboard functionality in order to have it at present.

Other than that, I like the tile background and I think I'll get used to the swipe keyboard, but while they give with one hand they take away massively with the other.

1. Facebook and Twitter integration. They aren't any more. I used to post to both simultaneously with my live tile... No longer available.

2. Calendar list view. Sure, add week view, but why remove the other view?! I not have to add a tap to edit my next appointment (which I do frequently), and if I have more than three items today I cant see them till I tap.

3. Notifications. I need to change the order for this to be useful. Having email at the top means everything is way down the bottom in the morning after i receive a ton of mails, making it impractical at best. I want emails in there, but at the bottom. Native twitter would be good again too...

4. Birthdays' from Facebook. Thanks for the wake up at midnight last night. Oh wait. No, thanks for nothing. Why would I need to be notified AT MIDNIGHT no less of a passive event. Let me turn the notifications off for this but still see it in the calendar (list view). If is have 2 birthdays then I cant see any other calendar appointments. See point 2.

5. Games. Why in my main list?? No more game notifications on home screen (yes, it was buggy at best, but fix it, don't remove it)

Sure there are other annoyances too, so will post if I remember them...

Sent from my Lumia 625 using Tapatalk

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
This has probably already been posted, but is there a way to remove the games from the app listing (swipe right from start menu)? I liked having the games and apps separate :(

vaderag

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
So, I'm sincerely disappointed. Have tried Cortana, it's nice, but not willing to sacrifice keyboard functionality in order to have it at present.

Other than that, I like the tile background and I think I'll get used to the swipe keyboard, but while they give with one hand they take away massively with the other.

1. Facebook and Twitter integration. They aren't any more. I used to post to both simultaneously with my live tile... No longer available.

2. Calendar list view. Sure, add week view, but why remove the other view?! I not have to add a tap to edit my next appointment (which I do frequently), and if I have more than three items today I cant see them till I tap.

3. Notifications. I need to change the order for this to be useful. Having email at the top means everything is way down the bottom in the morning after i receive a ton of mails, making it impractical at best. I want emails in there, but at the bottom. Native twitter would be good again too...

4. Birthdays' from Facebook. Thanks for the wake up at midnight last night. Oh wait. No, thanks for nothing. Why would I need to be notified AT MIDNIGHT no less of a passive event. Let me turn the notifications off for this but still see it in the calendar (list view). If is have 2 birthdays then I cant see any other calendar appointments. See point 2.

5. Games. Why in my main list?? No more game notifications on home screen (yes, it was buggy at best, but fix it, don't remove it)

Sure there are other annoyances too, so will post if I remember them...

Sent from my Lumia 625 using Tapatalk

Thought of more:
6. Calendar - no longer can choose a default post time - defaults to All day which is not useful.
7. Calendar - no longer can see which calendar as default. I post to multiple calendars so would really like to see which I'm posting to!
8. Cursor selection just does not work. It's now awful.

I'd love it if anyone has a fix for these...

Uff182

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
Maybe it's just me but I cannot get Wi-Fi to turn on and off from action center. I read where you're supposed to hold it but even after holding it I still end up at the Wi-Fi screen. Holding Bluetooth though turns it off.

I can confirm this too (Lumia 920 here). This, together with the fact that in order to choose between 2G and 3G you now have to do one more click compared to WP8.0, is my biggest complain for WP8.1 at the moment.
I'm still discovering it, though. :)

Torro Rosso

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I noticed the general performance of the phone (L920) is lesser. Cortana takes one second to initiate after hitting the magnifying glass icon, menu transitions can be choppy at times, and IE is MUCH slower than before. Anybody experiencing that as well?

Connor Price

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Love it! Absolutely seamless on my L820. Not experienced any glitches or problems, everything's working as it should and the phone is much faster. The battery life isn't great, but that could be just down to the 820's appalling battery.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3