Succesful WP8.1 updates on Icon?

c0wb0ycliche

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I used NSU to go back to 8, get new firmware and then go to 8.1 (and subsequent update.)

I'm enormously tired of hard resetting, but deleting all temporary files and soft resetting seems to have helped it.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
After this latest update(this is after 3-4 days with it), my battery life is worse on my ICOn.... My phone just for using it for 3-4 min (browsing the web, checking email, or texts or even phone calls), the phone will get very, very hot to the touch. It's almost unconformable to hold when it's this hot, and when it's getting this hot you can almost watch the battery drain because of this.

Popped on Real Racing 2 today, for no more than 3-5 min (2 single lap races), battery was at 74% when started, 61% when it I exited the game, and the phone was VERY hot.

This extreme heat is new after the last update. Sure the phone would get hot before but, after using it for 10+ min.

For more details on my problem, I have no battery drain, If I DONT use the phone, very low discharge or if any when just in my pocket. The problem that happens is if I even use it a little bit, there is mega drain (screen at medium, only 3 apps running in the background besides Cortana).

With people who rolled back to 8, updated to the firmware update, then went back to 8.1, Have you noticed any changes in performance or battery life ? Is the phone less hot after using it for a few min ? Any other changes that would make it work better and be worth the 2-3 hours of reinstalling apps and losing game saves for ?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
DavdinCT - I reverted back to 8.0 then reinstalled 8.1 and the update, but not for battery reasons. I did not restore from a back up.

I haven't noticed any major heating problems, my daughter plays games on it more than I do (thank you Kid's Corner), and when she hands it back to me, I don't notice any abnormal heating or severe battery drain.

I played a few games just now (for about the same amount of time you've mentioned) and although I did notice some battery drain, my phone didn't get hot. If you decide to do a hard reset, I recommend that you revert back to 8.0 grab the update to it, reinstall 8.1 and then grab the update to that too. For me, at least, it fixed the problems I was having; mainly with being unable to customize Kid's Corner.

Like any OS upgrade/install/reinstall, results may vary.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
For more details on my problem, I have no battery drain, If I DONT use the phone, very low discharge or if any when just in my pocket. The problem that happens is if I even use it a little bit, there is mega drain (screen at medium, only 3 apps running in the background besides Cortana).

If you're really having excessive battery drain, I'd suggest a hard reset. But honestly, my battery life with 8.1 has been what I expected. The Icon, as wonderful a phone as it is, simply falls short in terms of it's battery size. It's not a software thing, though I suspect that Cyan may help optimize the battery a bit better. I believe it just comes down to a high powered device, with a high quality display, and a small battery.

When you use the phone, particularly doing anything that requires graphics, ie. games, loading pictures, videos, etc... the battery is going to go quickly just because that's what being required of it. On the whole, I think WP8.1 is great for battery life, but the Icon doesn't have much of a life to begin with.

Here's my Icon this weekend. Not bad at all. It still would drain 5% when I used internet explorer for 10 minutes. But the idea here is that it's sufficient. My main uses this weekend were phone calls, bible reading, imgur browsing on grin, messaging with GroupMe, Taking some photos, listening to some podcasts, looking stuff up with Cortana & Internet Explorer. It's not the software, it's the hardware.

wp_ss_20140518_0001.pngwp_ss_20140519_0001.png

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
i took the two hours to revert to 8.0 using the Nokia Software REcovery Tool for REtail and then back to 8.1 with a hard reset.

wifi was really, really good on 8.0 with the latest VZW udpate. it went back to "normal" (by which i meant abnomrally bad) when i did the 8.1 upgrade though the little pointy arrows are there.

i would revert to 8.0 for the sake of wifi, but i just love the Swype keyboard too muh.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
My phone has been a mess since the latest update. It's ridiculous. Non-stop "Loading..." and "Resuming..." at start screen. Unresponsive anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes. Notification center also doesn't work during these times. Anyone else experiencing this?

I get the delay turning the phone on pretty often, and every now and then, not often, I get the loading or resuming (don't remember which) on the start screen. That's pretty irritating, and once it lasted close to a minute before I did the power/volume down reset.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
If you're really having excessive battery drain, I'd suggest a hard reset. But honestly, my battery life with 8.1 has been what I expected. The Icon, as wonderful a phone as it is, simply falls short in terms of it's battery size. It's not a software thing, though I suspect that Cyan may help optimize the battery a bit better. I believe it just comes down to a high powered device, with a high quality display, and a small battery.

When you use the phone, particularly doing anything that requires graphics, ie. games, loading pictures, videos, etc... the battery is going to go quickly just because that's what being required of it. On the whole, I think WP8.1 is great for battery life, but the Icon doesn't have much of a life to begin with.

Here's my Icon this weekend. Not bad at all. It still would drain 5% when I used internet explorer for 10 minutes. But the idea here is that it's sufficient. My main uses this weekend were phone calls, bible reading, imgur browsing on grin, messaging with GroupMe, Taking some photos, listening to some podcasts, looking stuff up with Cortana & Internet Explorer. It's not the software, it's the hardware.

View attachment 66921View attachment 66922

When I first installed 8.1 I did do a hard reset. I didn't after the last update. Did you do ANOTHER hard reset after the last update ?

This is what is in question for me. Is it really worth me to restore back to 8, take the Verizon firmware, upgrade to 8.1, then the 8.1 update, then do a hard reset ? This is what I have a question on or should I just deal with it till Verizon releases the final (should be a month or so with being a June release from what is the rumors) because I will do a hard reset then. Once a firmware from Nokia/Verizon comes down, battery SHOULD get a little if not a lot better.

Today, nothing special, maybe about 5 min in Weave, answered one under 5 min phone call, my battery is at 86%.... So there is SOME drain, normally with the amount of use back on my 928 Pre 8.1, I would still be around 95% with that use. Phone was taken off the charger at 6:15 and it's almost 11 now..

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
When I first installed 8.1 I did do a hard reset. I didn't after the last update. Did you do ANOTHER hard reset after the last update ?

Yes, I did. I did a hard reset without recalling settings. And I would recommend that others do the same.

I'm to the point where I actually believe that Microsoft should alter the developer preview process to include a hard reset.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I did. I did a hard reset without recalling settings. And I would recommend that others do the same.

I'm to the point where I actually believe that Microsoft should alter the developer preview process to include a hard reset.

Ok, Then I will attempt it, Let me finish up Real Racing 2 first, as app backup is worthless then I will do it. A nice 2-3 hours to get the phone reset up....ugh...

I'm having a little bug with a Exchange account always showing "not up to date" but, if I check the account, new mail and everything appears fine, so maybe a reseting it with out recalling settings might help here (ugh, I have a lot of apps, this will take forever to reinstall)

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Ok, Then I will attempt it, Let me finish up Real Racing 2 first, as app backup is worthless then I will do it. A nice 2-3 hours to get the phone reset up....ugh...

I'm having a little bug with a Exchange account always showing "not up to date" but, if I check the account, new mail and everything appears fine, so maybe a reseting it with out recalling settings might help here (ugh, I have a lot of apps, this will take forever to reinstall)

The nice thing with wp8.1 is it keeps all the apps your Microsoft account has ever downloaded in a list in the store. So when you're starting fresh, you can just scroll through that list and check which apps you want to re-download and then hit "download" once and you'll get them all.

c0wb0ycliche

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Has gotten really bad the last couple days.

Gets really hot, battery drain, "resuming" and "loading," unresponsive touch screen, etc.

It's like Android lol.

Probably will go back to 8.0 til Cyan.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Just got an Icon today. Running 8.1. Yep, I have the wakeup issue... takes 2 presses to get the screen to come on.

I thought so too, but it was actually just one press with a few (around 3) seconds delay. Just my impatience always made me press twice. :)

Other than that issue, I don't have any problems related to 8.1. I would definitely recommend putting it on an Icon.

dfbonney

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
So...the screen wake delay is back after 6 days. Only happens when WiFi is on.

Today at work I was listening to music using xbox music with wired headphones in (normally I use bluetooth) and I did not experience the wake delay... which was odd... just putting it out there. Try it?

Dreamspell

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Today at work I was listening to music using xbox music with wired headphones in (normally I use bluetooth) and I did not experience the wake delay... which was odd... just putting it out there. Try it?

Interesting. I've also realized that it doesn't happen when it's charging plugged in.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos