Succesful WP8.1 updates on Icon?

squimjay

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I am upgrading our office's second Lumia Icon to the developer preview, and on both I am seeing a strange issue. The first update installed no problem, however the second one restarted the phone and then just shows the low battery icon or the low batter charging icon if I put it on the charger. Eventually the first Icon I updated yesterday did restart with the update installed, I'm hoping this second one does as well. It almost seems like it's updating, but instead of showing the gears, it's showing the low battery icon by mistake.

Anybody else had this issue?

EDIT: So I think this is caused by placing the phone on a wireless dock charging stand before it restarts to install the second update. I tried a wired charger and it kept turning on and showing me the low battery charging icon. I finally took it off the charger and held down power + volume down for 10 seconds and it restarted twice and finally got the installation gears animation and appears to be working now.

Last edited:

endo689

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys so I'm currently in the middle of the 8.1 Update installing and it is constantly having my phone reboot with the progress bar not making it very far. Is this normal?

markk132

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
when I pinned Cortana to the start screen, my start screen was crashing after i'd wake up the phone. not every time but a lot of the time. I noticed that it started happening after I pinned her, so I unpinned her and that seems to have gotten rid of that issue.

but I definitely still have the power button to wake up the phone lag that everyone else is experiencing. I've soft reset the phone multiple times but it still occurs. my battery also definitely seems to be draining much faster than before. actually today I let the phone sit for an hour and when I came back it was super hot and my battery had drained significantly. I think all of this is related to Cortana, but of course I really don't want to disable her. Everyone else try to report some more detailed feedback on your power button and battery drain issues, and hopefully we can get this out to Nokia and MS

Lost_Cosmonaut

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Updated my new Icon to WP8.1 Preview last night and am really liking it. Had a couple hiccups but nothing serious. Happy that WP8.1 fixes a lot of the things I didn't like about WP8.

flackberry

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Battery life blows with this Preview. Had a normal usage day yesterday and it was down to 20% by 6pm when normally would have still had about 50% battery or more.

Shane Kelley

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Hey all, just a quick question regarding the dev program stuff. I've never gone down the 'unlocked update' path on a phone before, and although I'm not normally one to be skittish about beta and preview type installs, I'm a tiny bit leery on updating my Icon to 8.1 because I literally just got the phone today :)

My question - if I install 8.1 and, for whatever reason, need to do a factory reset, does the phone reset to the Icon's original Lumia Black install, or does it reset to a default 8.1 install? My concern is whether I can back out of 8.1 if I have an actual phone problem that I need to get replaced (again, brand new phone, so I don't know if I'll run into any device issues, regardless of 8.1 or not).

Thank you in advance!

endo689

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
You will not be able to downgrade once you do the update. For most Icon owners, not many issues have stopped them from otherwise enjoying the update. As for me, like you I too just received the Icon and I too did the update and had nothing but issues. Ended up exchanging it for a brand new one to go back to WP8.

Sent from my RM-927_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Mine was pretty weird last night, and took almost an hour to complete. Every time it would complete one "part", it'd reboot and would be stuck on the red battery/charger icon for a very long time, even though the battery was about 50% when I did the update and was sitting on my wireless charger. The phone got really hot during this process, but once I got the spinning gears, it was straight on to the finish line.

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Battery life blows with this Preview. Had a normal usage day yesterday and it was down to 20% by 6pm when normally would have still had about 50% battery or more.

Mine has been pretty good...I'd check all of your background tasks again, as every single app of mine got reset to run in the background and was destroying my battery.

danwanna

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Just a head up. I had the issue where my phone wouldn't wake at all with the power button and the camera button woke it just fine. Obviously not ideal, but it is good to know in a pinch.

danwanna

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Try turning off Cortana and see if it helps your power button lag. It seems to have helped mine.

I am trying this out now. My power button lag has gotten worse throughout the day even though I've soft reset a couple times. I'll report back later with my results.

Mark Guim

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Hehe.. I took these pics. They were screenshots from another device, placed on the Lumia Icon. If you look closely, you might be able to see a smudge on the lower right corner to hide the three dots from the Gallery

It was an option in an earlier build, I think. They must have removed it. I probably would have stuck to three columns anyway, but it might have been nice to have options. See below photos from this link: Windows Phone 8.1 Preview for Developers Program should go live Thursday, April 10 | Windows Phone Central

View attachment 62437View attachment 62438

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Mine was ok. I wonder if the times people downloaded the update is making their phones bug. I downloaded mine at 6 am. Right at the release pretty much. Maybe people having bugs is related to the traffic of information going everywhere. Conspiracy theory. Lol.

Suryadeep Sahoo

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
yup happened with me! but i restarted the phone an its working fine as of now!
Though my "Battery backup"sucks now! for some reason its juicing out fast!
and a great leap for windows!
bt there were few setbacks!
the fb chat n notification integration is gone! anyone else facing similar prob?
anyone with idea about it please reply!:straight:

Jerrey Krzmarzick

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I having problems also with the shut off-on. I checked to see if any apps for power shut off-on like my old android phones but nothing yet. I'll use double tap when we get that update. I love this phone with the new keyboard, tying to figure out Cortina.

VenumX

Aug 29, 2007
Visit site
i am having intermittent issues with this as well, i just hold down the power button like im doing a shutdown then press the back button to cancel it and it typically wakes it up fine

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss